“Delicious Desserts!”
Review of Shapiro's Delicatessen - CLOSED

Shapiro's Delicatessen
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: Shapiro's Delicatessen in Carmel closed on Father's Day June 2013.
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Didn't eat an actual meal here, but got some desserts from their carry-out dessert case. The cheesecake/devil's food cake was incredibly good as was the raspberry bar and the rhubarb crumble. Highly recommended!

1  Thank JWHoffs

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Within throwing ( or kicking ) distance from Lucas Stadium, this is one of Indy's 'heartbeat' places to eat. I ALWAYS get the hot chicken noodle soup and roast beef sandwich on rye. Every one has their favorite. And THEN there is the dessert! Come hungry and enjoy.

1  Thank MissMary01
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I'm lucky to work only about five minutes from the Carmel location, so every month or so when I'm out running around a lunchtime I stop to grab a sandwich.

They have, hands down, the best corned beef sandwiches in the Indianapolis area. The generous heap of meat just melts in your mouth, and the rye bread is soft with a lightly crispy crust. And their mac and cheese is to die for. You can tell it's the real thing -- baked, with real cream and cheese -- and not just noodles with a goopy, pre-made sauce.

I usually have my corned beef on rye with swiss and mayo (yes, mayo!), although the onion roll is also really good.

When I have a chance, I also sometimes eat in, and going through the cafeteria-style line can be an adventure, mostly because of all the gorgeous desserts I try to pass up (sometimes with only limited success), and also because the workers sometimes have fun lightly heckling the customers about their choices. It has a little bit of the atmosphere of a Manhattan deli, but kinder.

My only complaint (other than occasionally finding that they've made my sandwich with mustard instead of mayo - yuck!) is that they pre-pour the soft drinks, and make them with lots of ice, so they're often way too watered down for my taste. I wish they'd put in a soft drink dispenser so we can serve ourselves and grab a refill.

Overall, though, it's a great place. The corned beef is the bomb-diggety, I've never gone away hungry, and there's something for every taste (except ham lovers -- it is kosher, after all!).

Reviewed January 19, 2013

This deli not only has sandwiches, it is well known for it various entrees. The prices are a bit high for a deli sandwich but depending on how hungry you are you might be able to split one and get a dish of potato salad.

Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

This is hands-down the best deli or cafeteria I've ever been to. It's a huge bonus to have them under the same roof. The brisket is heavenly, the mac-and-cheese is addictive, and the desserts are incredible. The only thing is, it's a bit pricy. Lunch can set you back about $20. I suppose that'a the price you pay for quality food, though.