“The Good, The Great, And The 'Ugly'...”

Bub's Burgers & Ice Cream
Ranked #1 of 260 Restaurants in Carmel
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Reviewed October 14, 2013

The restaurant sits near the edge of Carmel's famous Arts District, which is primarily known for its elegant shops in this wealthy, burgeoning, and top-awarded community. At the northwest corner of very busy Main Street and the popular Monon Trail is Bub's. On the Main Street side is the ice cream parlor. On the opposite side is the restaurant with an additional outdoor seating area. The restaurant is a bustling scene with an energetic "hangout" feel. Be prepared for an average wait of 15-20 minutes here, due to its fame which has escalated since being featured on Man vs. Food.

The menu is a simple, laminated, long two-sided card; the specialty here is burgers (beef or elk), but there are plenty of items to choose from. You will NOT leave hungry, that's for sure...

Hundreds of pictures cover the walls of those who conquered the 1-lb Big Ugly Burger (the more burgers a person eats in one visit, the larger their photo; hit-show star Adam Richman devoured 2 1/2 of them). I decided to go for the challenge to finish 1 Big Ugly. There is no time limit, but NOTHING can be left on your plate. A few people cheered for me, and out came my meaty monstrosity. The first bites had me stomping my feet on the floor because it was so juicy and flavorful!!! I was stuffed like a toy panda bear after 25 minutes of killing the sandwich and getting my picture on the wall. I don't think I could have done more than one...

Great service, awesomely flavorful food, cool atmosphere...this place ROCKS.

Highly recommended, bring your family, buddies, or with the love of your life. You'll have a fun time.

There are newer reviews for Bub's Burgers & Ice Cream

Reviewed October 9, 2013

The Elk Burger is the best. I had previously struggled with quarter pound of regular burger. However, I was able to complete the one pound of big ugly as the elk meat was lean meat and also tastier.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

very family friendly but not annoyingly so, went solo while on business trip as ratings were so high, great service, very attentive even though by myself and most of all...the food was fantastic! Great burger and the fries are good too!

Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

Great tasting burger! Unless you are super hungry, the quarter pounder is sufficient. Tough to get a seat outdoors on a summer night, but the servers are friendly and eager to please. They also toast the buns which is a nice touch. Ice cream is available in their adjoining shop for those who have room for dessert! Fun place to stop for an Excellent Burger!!

Reviewed August 19, 2013

I took my 10 year old and his pal to Bub's for a day-before-school-starts treat last week. We've eaten here a number of times and the food is consistently good. My son had the kid's Bub burger, which is small, but hearty. It came with his choice of fries. I suggest the waffle ones! I had the blackened Mahi Mahi sandwich on focaccia bread (I just nibble on the bread as I go and eat the first straight- it's SO good it's a crime to put anythng on it!) I've had this both grilled and blackened, and it's awesome both ways- this is a meaty, very white fish that comes out moist and flavorful every time. I like it with sweet potato waffle fries.

What's fun about Bub's is that they are located right on the Monon Trail, so you can sit outside (under an umbrella or deck cover) and watch people go by. It's a terrific people watching experience! It appeared to me that they had added some new screen doors to the inside- so on a nice day you'd get fresh air in there, as well, plus a view of the trail.

This is a busy place just about every day- so come early or plan to hang out and enjoy the wait! After your meal, head around to the front of the house for an ice cream cone. Pop a quarter into the fun gumball machine inside if you have youngsters- it's a kick. :-)