“Pretty Good”
Review of Kona Grill

Kona Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Kona Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 263 Restaurants in Carmel
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Indiana
“Pretty Good”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

First of all, I wish there was a little more options for rating. I think that this place, based on my experience, is a solid 3 1/2. We had dinner with another couple on their recommendation and were seated promptly around our reservation time. I think the bar area is pretty cool. We ate in the dining room, but as we passed by I kinda wanted to hang in there instead.

Just being honest, this is not a kind of place I would normally choose. Not a huge fan of their menu and I don't do sushi. I went with a teriyaki-marinated ribeye...which tasted fantastic. Too bad the steak itself was half fat. I know, I know....it's a ribeye and not a filet. But c'mon. This is not Ryan's and expectations are higher at this kind of a restaurant. Maybe I just got a bad cut. Still, can't understate how great the meat I actually could eat tasted. Came with a grilled pineapple (which I love) and some good mashed potatoes. Didn't have dessert.

Pretty good. Server was definitely upbeat, friendly and mostly helpful. Didn't seem to have a grasp on either was liquors they carried or their wine list. Not to be too demanding here, as I know being a server is not an easy job...but can't you at least train your wait staff on what you sell? Maybe the menu changes all the time, I don't know.

Overall, this was a pleasant night out. Kona Grill was packed, as I am sure they get a ton of business just by being in the Clay Terrace mall. I don't know if I would return for anything more than drinks in their cool bar just because I don't really like their menu much. But we had a nice evening and it seems to be a well run establishment.

• Visited April 2013

“Nice place”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

There is nothing outstanding about Kona Grill's food or drinks. Actually, depending on the day you can have awesome drinks or terrible ones. Their sushi is good and the atmosphere is enjoyable as well.

Visited March 2013
Little Rock, Arkansas
“Decent food, cocktails & atmosphere!”
Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

Our experience at the bar was terrific. The atmosphere is perfect and the service & cocktails were superb. We ordered potstickers that were fried, tough & tasteless (AND loaded with calories!). However, they were offset by fresh sushi rolls and seaweed salad. It was a delicious dining experience and I'm certainly glad that we tried it. We aren't fans of chain restaurants but this experience was a pleasant surprise!

• Visited April 2013
Tampa, Florida
“Great Sashimi but Loud & Dim”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Located in an outdoor nice mall setting (Clay Terrace) off 146th and US 31. We were in the mood for sushi and libations and someone suggested we try Kona.

The bar/restaurant has sexy lighting - almost too sexy - we needed to use the flashlight on our phones to read the menu. We made our way to the lounge since the dining room (all open to kitchen and sushi bar) was crowded. The bar staff seemed a little uptight and snobby for some unknown reason (maybe because we were using our phones to see the menu?) Eventually, after a couple drinks and several questions about the dim menu, we decided to meander over to an actual table in the lounge - as no one was paying us much attention.

Immediately we were received by a very nice and attentive waitress (Kristy) who explained the menu and took our order. We ordered a flight of Sashimi (sushi without the roll/rice), and split the pad thai (amazing). We took 2 desserts to go (key lime pie - HUGE!). Without Kristy I'm sure the experience would not have been as enjoyable. I've said it many times - it's not JUST the food - you need good service too (duh).

While the music was a bit loud and the acoustics lacking - the music choice was amazing! Best 'sound track' at a restaurant/bar EVER.

Good job! PS - restrooms spotless.

• Visited February 2013
Indianapolis
“1. Why the secret? 2. Skip Avocado Eggrolls.”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

First time diner here and searched menu for vegetarian options. After not finding anything I wanted I asked server if an item could be served without the meat. Was then informed me that they had a separate vegetarian/vegan menu which was brought to table. Why the secret? Don't they want those who prefer a meat-free meal to feel welcome as soon as they are ready to look at a menu?

Because I've always loved the Avocado Eggrolls at Cheesecake Factory I decided to try them here. Forget it! The portion was two-thirds the size (for the same price) and far less tasty. Pad Thai entree was good, although over-priced compared to same entree at local Thai restaurants, e.g., Sawasdee,which also include two small sides with entrees.

• Visited February 2013