“Rest Assured!”

Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Carmel
Hendersonville, North Carolina
“Rest Assured!”
Reviewed November 13, 2011

In the first ten seconds, you know you have picked the right place for your stay in Carmel, Indiana. I was here for an intensive four day class and am very particular about where I stay in cases like this. Above all else they have to be clean and quiet. There has to be plenty of light and lots of room to spread out my books and computer for my study routine. And it helps if the staff is cooperative and responsive as I have a couple of little quirky needs.

Well, rest assured that this property exceeded all of my expectations across the board. But its the staff here that makes this place unique. Most of these types of hotels have one or two of their staff that "get it" and make a weary traveler feel welcome. At this property, they ALL go out of their way to speak to you and give you a smile. I know this sounds a little hokey but it made a huge difference to me that EVERY time I walked through the lobby someone smiled, looked me in the eye, and spoke to me. The staff in the breakfast area smiled and laughed with customers every morning and actually appeared as if they were enjoying that part of their day. For those of you that travel frequently and stay in this type of facility, you know this is NOT the norm.

I am a firm believer that leadership in these middle market hotels ALWAYS comes from the top and I found the perfect example of this as I was checking out. I had to make three trips to the car to get all my stuff out of the room. After depositing the first load and returning to the parking lot with my second arm full, I see this guy in a blue parka scraping my windows of the heavy frost that had accumulated overnight. Well, if you guessed it was a bellman or a maintenance person, you guessed wrong. When I thanked him for doing what he did he introduced himself as Jamie Hopwood, the General Manager of the hotel and accompanied that introduction with a wonderfully warm smile. I complemented him on his staff and the property and he accepted that with all the thankful humility so lacking in the world today, saying that he loved what he did and was happy that my stay had been a good one. We chatted a few more minutes until the next departing guest came out to the parking lot at which point he politely excused himself and moved on to scrape their windows for them.

This all may seem very mundane and insignificant to some folks but this guy just made my day and the staff made my stay. There is no question in my mind that if you choose to stay at this property you will receive service equal to that which I experienced, because I am convinced "that's just the way they roll" at this property under Jamie Hopwood's leadership.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank jsheiry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Illinois
Reviewed November 11, 2011

The hotel room was clean & comfortable. This was our first night in a hotel with our baby. There wasn't any soap in the room that I could've used for washing bottles - when I asked the front desk clerk where the nearest walgreens was to go buy soap, he instead took me to the kitchen of the breakfast area and gave me some from the kitchen. Staff was very helpful and friendly. We used the pool area for a bit - it seemed clean. Would stay again if I was passing through the area.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Illinois
Reviewed August 19, 2011

I've stayed here 3 times in the last 2 months. This hotel is in a great location for my business trips. It is also close to Clay Terrace for food and shopping in the evenings. As another person said, it is hard to find on the first visit because address is Meridian, but you have to get there off side roads. They do put business travelers above floors with lots of kids if they have groups in town, which is nice. Downsides, on my first visit, my iron didn't work and with only one staff member on duty, I had to go down to the front desk to get another one, which was slightly annoying. On another trip, the first room I checked into reaked of smoke (non-smoking), but they quickly switched me rooms and brought me a key, This redeemed them for my broken iron visit. On my third stay here, I believe I left my ipod in my room. When I called two days after my stay I was told someone from housekeeping would call me back. I never heard back from them. I guess someone got a new ipod. I will probably not stay here on my next trip to Indy.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed July 29, 2011

No Smoking Hotel now but must have just switched over as the bathroom stunk like smoke, bathroom door in rough shape.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Kansas City, KS
Reviewed July 17, 2011

I stayed at the Carmel Spring Hill Suites in June of 2011 for business. The room was spacious and quiet, and comfortable. The only issues were that the work desk was postioned so that you could not see the TV, and the bed was right by the air conditioner, which caused air to be blown on me periodically all night. I actually like sleeping in a cold room, but the air blowing right on me was a bit much. Better room design would make this a very good choice. It was very clean and well maintained and the daily breakfast that was offered was very nice. Just redesign the rooms!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Gurnee, Illinois
Reviewed May 30, 2011

We have been going to the Indy 500 for 20 years. We have stayed at many of the hotels in the Carmel/Indianapolis area. Over the past five years, we have encountered many problems at the area hotels, but NOT at this Springhill Suites.

The room was big, bright and clean. The front desk staff were all friendly and helpful. Their free breakfast was much more than we expected.

During Memorial Day weekend, there are a lot of kids in the area for tournaments and usually there is a lot of noise. This hotel did a super job in keeping the kids under control. Yes, parents are not good at teaching their kids manners. There was a security guard on duty and he did have the tell the kids to stop running around.

Not only was this the best experience I have had in a hotel in that area, it is the best experience I have had in ANY hotel for a long time.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Chicago
Reviewed May 29, 2011

My husband was in a tennis tournament and we have two small children. We decided to reserve the King Suite with a pull out sofa. First of all, the size of the room was pretty small by suite standards. Second, the pull out sofa was positioned in a way that once it was pulled out, it literally blocked us from walking straight across the room. We had to crawl over the pull out sofa to get to the bed. Third, the plumbing was heard in various increments throughout the day/night. Fourth, the sink in the kitchenette needed to be cleaned with CLR. And fifth, the hotel offers free internet service in the room; however, it's only for a total of 24 hours during your stay. So, the wording should be changed to reflect limited internet service in the room.

On a positive note, the price was good for a 3-night stay. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The pool could have been a bit more clean; however, we still enjoyed it. And the breakfast was decent.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family