“Another Great Mexican Restaurant!”
Review of Sonata Cafe Bar Art - CLOSED

Sonata Cafe Bar Art
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: In downtown Carmel.
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Agave Bar and Grill has everything that you would expect in an upscale Mexican restaurant - great menu choices, attentive waitstaff and a talented bartender. My wife and I enjoyed dining outside on the patio and relaxing on a beautiful Sunday afternoon.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

My cousin and I went to Sonata this past Friday night. Our waiter seemed nice but lacked experience and described many items on the menu as being "great" or "very good". I wish he would have explained the dishes better. We ordered the Vegetarian and Meat Empanadas both of them were wonderful and full of favor. One of my cousin's friends was working and was so kind to bring us the Potato Bravas, also wonderful and very crispy. The last thing that we ordered was the Brick..my cousin and I laughed at the name of this dish hahah. The Brick was a Light crispy phylo filled with tequila flambeed beef, leeks and goudo cheese, covered with tomatillo sauce a light crispy phylo filled with tequila flambeed beef, leeks and goudo cheese, covered with tomatillo sauce. All the tapas dishes were great, but expensive! Will return but next time with more money!

Reviewed April 19, 2013

The menu is for small portions. There were 4 of us and we ordered about 6 different items. The bar upstairs is quaint and the service was really good. The food was good as well.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

I have been to Sonata twice. The first time was a quiet snowy December evening and the second in February during a gallery walk.

First the unambiguous 5 star - the food. It is fresh, tasty, and always interesting. Particular favorites of mine are the rather wonderful, slightly spicy patatas brava(sp?) which are very generously portioned and the mussels con chorizo. The tostas are also good, not all to my taste, but enough variety that everyone was happy. The fish dishes may be a trifle bland, the tilapia was found wanting for flavour, but it may suit other tastes. The wine list is more interesting than many places I have visited, and the whole experience was very reasonably priced.

The one area for improvement is the robustness of the place, particularly the service. The first time it was wonderfully attentive without being obtrusive, but it was much busier the second time and that meant we had to ask for things a couple of times and keep our eyes peeled for our server. They had also run out of a couple of items which was disappointing.

And a minor niggle - why were the upstairs televisions showing basketball for. It's an arts rather than a sports venue. But that was minor in comparison to enjoying good and interesting food in a nice environment.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

My husband and I were looking for a restaurant last night in Carmel Indiana and saw the Sonata Cafe and decided to try it. There are 2 bars - one upstairs and one downstairs with live music.The restaurant is very attractive with a definite chic, artsy feel. They have hard wood floors, and an unusual large glass flower arrangement from floor to ceiling. The place was intimate. They have tapas and some larger meals. My husband had the omelet, and I had cream cheese infused crusted shrimp drizzled in a raspberry sauce, and a very tasty salad. Actually we ordered the shrimp twice since it was delicious. The specialty cocktails were very good and different from the typical offerings you find in other restaurants. They did have an extensive wine list as well. Even the coffee was delicious; we are coffee geeks. The only disappointment was the lack of dessert choices, but that was insignificant compared to the lovely dining experience. The restaurant was not expensive and we couldn't understand why it was not crowded. The service was good as well. We were very pleased with the restaurant and will definitely go there again when we return to Carmel. This was one of our best dining experiences this year!

Cody M, Manager at Sonata Cafe Bar Art, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2012

Thank you for your feedback! We are currently making a dessert menu that will consist of around four desserts at all times, so next time you visit Sonata you won't be disappointed with our desserts. We hope to see you again soon!