“Just your average sports pub”
Review of Detour An American Grille - CLOSED

Detour An American Grille
Cuisines: American, Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Noblesville, Indiana
“Just your average sports pub”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Tried out Detour Grille Carmel this weekend. The location is great, I love the Arts District. Service was good, but there were only about 10 people in the joint on Saturday at Noon. We started with chips and queso, I did really like the queso. I ordered the Cougar with waffle fries which was good. The waffle fries were compareable to Scotty's Brewhouse's (which Scotty's waffle fries are my all time fav). My husband got the BBQ Bacon Burger with Onion Rings. The burger was good but we weren't fans of the onion rings because of the batter. It was really thick and a little "gooey" in the middle. Both orders were average, but nothing to rave about. For chips and queso, two entrees and two sodas it was $37, which is about average I suppose. I would consider a return in the summer months to sit out on the patio and enjoy the mountian of nachos and a cold beer. Over all not terrible, but not awesome either!

• Visited December 2012

Fort Wayne, Indiana, United States
“Keep on walking...”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

This was by far the worst restaurant experience we had in years. The waiter was incredibly rude. We were initially seated in a long row of tables and the waiter took our drink order, but then moved to make room for a party (apparently they forgot to put up the "reserved" sign as a reminder to the hostess). The waiter saw us at the new table, walked up to us and then threw drinks and straws on our table, and then stormed away. The rest of the evening, he acted like a spoiled, immature adolescent. I don't know why he was angry, since we were still in his section and would receive our tip. However the service was so poor that the manager wrote off our bill and gave us a gift card to return. However, I doubt we will be back.

• Visited November 2012
Mos Indianapoli... I, Guest Relations Manager at Detour An American Grille, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write to us regarding your recent visit at Detour An American Grille in Carmel, Indiana. First of all, please allow me to apologize for what appears to be an unsatisfactory experience. We would like to address the issues as soon as possible. Please provide me with your contact information via email (guestservices@epichospitality.com), so that we may have our General Manager at the restaurant reach out to you. Your complaint is taken very seriously by our company and will be followed up on.

Again, my apologies and thanks for writing.
Allison M
Epic Hospitality Group
Carmel, Indiana
“It's good but overpriced.”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I like Detour because of the location and the crowd. The food and drinks are good, but they are just that- good. I have never had anything exceptional here and the service leaves much to be desired. I also think they are a little pricey. But living in downtown Carmel the location is great and when it's warm it has good outdoor seating.

Visited October 2012
Carmel, Indiana
“A Good Sports Bar”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I think that Detours is a pretty good sports bar. The food is pretty much what one would expect from a sports bar (I like the garbage salad).

Visited September 2012
Fishers, Indiana
“A Detour of deception”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We had a horrible experience at Detour tonight. They truly don't understand customer service. We will never return.

Things started off poorly when we tried to order one of their "Signature" appetizers only to be told they were out of the rock shrimp appetizer. Ok, fine we moved on and order a flatbread instead. The appetizer arrived about one minute before the entrees did which is never the way that should work. Anyone that's worked in restaurants before knows this is not the way people want to things to arrive. My wife ordered the "Bypass" sandwich and thought the bread appeared to have mold on it. The server insisted that it couldn't be mold but it definitely looked like it.

Here's where things really got interesting. My company has hosted gatherings and catered out food from both the Carmel Detour location and the 86th Street Detour location. My boss had given me Detour gift cards that I was going to use for this dinner. The web address on the gift cards reads www.detourgrille.com and they have the same colors and general look as the signage of the Carmel restaurant. The manager told us we couldn't use these at the Carmel location and they were only valid at the 86th St location. Keep in mind that when you go to the website listed on the cards it lists both locations and doesn't differentiate whatsoever that gift cards are only valid at one location. She told me that her location has a different web address with "carmel" in it. She didn't seem very concerned about it and offered nothing in return. Truly one of the worst managers I've ever encountered in the world of service.

My next step was to go to the hostess stand to ask to see one of their gift cards. It HAD THE EXACT SAME WEB ADDRESS as the other one! I took this back to show her and she was very dismissive and obviously didn't care. As a consumer it's not my job to sort out their internal financial dealings between the two locations. The fact that they have the same exact web address on each of their gift cards and list both locations at the website is very deceptive. I mentioned to the manager that I was a manager at a Fortune 500 company that had sent a decent amount of business their way in the past. It went in one ear and out the other. She obviously wasn't hired for her customer service skills or ability to navigate turning around detractors.

By the way....as for the food it's mediocre at best. You can get far better food elsewhere from people that actually care about providing good service and retaining your business. My advice would be to avoid this place if at all possible

• Visited October 2012