“You can’t go wrong staying here!”

Renaissance Indianapolis North Hotel
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Carmel
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 26, 2012

The Renaissance is located in Carmel just north of Indy. Downtown is a straight shot south on Meridian Street, a pretty nice drive. First thing is the front desk employees’ outstanding attitude towards guests, friendly and very helpful. Check-in was a breeze, no waiting (it was pretty busy). Secondly, the room was very clean, spacious and the bed was comfortable. Did I mention that the room was very clean? We traveled quite a bit this summer and finding clean rooms has been a real issue, but not for this quick overnight. The TV had plenty of channels and a clear picture, just wish it were a bit bigger but I’m spoiled.
We didn’t eat at the restaurant since we had plans to go to a local place you should all try- Jersey’s Cafe. You won’t be sorry!
You can’t go wrong staying here; we’ll be back whenever we spend a weekend in Indy.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jeffreyt1956

Reviewed July 6, 2012

I love the comfort and style of this hotel. Most of the staff were so friendly and helpful. We arrived on our Harley and front desk person was not friendly nor helpful, just judgemental. ( I realize of course, bikers are not their "norm"). He questioned my reservation and I indicated it was my third stay at the hotel and he seemed to chill out. A HUGE storm hit and the bike almost blew over and we moved it under the awning. They were then concerned more about our safety than anything and we appreciated that.
As noted by Chops1971, there are NO food options around except for Subway. We had breakfast in the hotel and it was bland and not worth the money. No refrigerators in room which does not help.
The best beds in the entire world!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank alliel1
Reviewed July 2, 2012

My husband and I recently visited this hotel, which is near Indianapolis. Below are the Pros/Cons/Tips from our experience:

Pros:
~Friendly Staff
~Clean room
~Comfortable furnishings
~Great food
~Good A/C (we stayed during the hotest days of the year....106 degrees...and the room stayed very cool and comfortable)
~Lots of parking
~Easy to find
~Quiet

Cons:
~Upon leaving, the front desk person did not ask about our stay. We have found this in other hotels, so it seems to be more common than not. Considering we are reward members and stayed in the hotel for two nights, asking about our stay would have been nice, if not expected.
~Pay-per-view movie channel had technical issues (static, cutting in and out, etc.).
~Shortly after we arrived, we went to the club level room to get some sodas. When we came back to the room, one of the employees was entering our room with his key (even though we had just checked in and had the 'do not disturb' sign on the door. Apparently, he was confused about where he was supposed to be, but we can't help but wonder what would have happened had we not arrived back at the room as he was entering, considering all of our belongings were in the room and unsecured).
~The shower did not drain well and continued filling up as we showered
~While the location is close to the freeway, there are not many options as far as dining. There are several businesses in the area, but not a lot of restaurants nearby.

Tips:
~Ask for a quiet and/or room on a high floor. We requested this and not only did they place us in a corner, quiet room; they also provided us with club level access.
~Request extra towels and pillows or you may not have enough for your stay if you don't.

As a side note: I noticed a couple of people stating there was a funny odor to the hotel and/or the hotel rooms. I have a pretty keen sense of smell, and I did not notice any unusual or bad odor, nor did my husband.

This is a very nice hotel; however, I guess I expect more out of a Renaissance hotel. This property was just very nice, but it in no way blew us away. This would be a great place to stay if you are in town for a conference or event and just need a nice and comfortable room for the night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor and/or a quiet room. Also, definitely be sure to eat in their restau...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chops1971
Management response:Responded July 5, 2012

I wanted to write and thank you for leaving an excellent and detailed review for our Hotel team and our future guests. We really appreciate the feedback and the opportunity to address the concerns you listed.

Please be assured that our Maintenance team is investigating the issue you experienced with the Pay Per View channel as well as the shower drain in your room.

I would also like to hear further regarding your check out experience as well as the situation where you found a Hotel Ambassador entering your room. We do offer a complimentary turn down service for our Club Level guests, but you are absolutely correct that an Ambassador of our hotel needs to acknowledge and respect our guests "Do not Disturb" signs. In regards to your departure from the hotel, it seems like our Front Desk Ambassador did not perform at the level we are accustomed to. For these inconveniences you experienced I certainly do apologize.

If convenient for you, I would like to discuss these two items further so I can ensure I understand them fully and can begin corrective action. You can contact me directly at lucas.laidlaw@renaissancehotels.com at anytime. Thank you again for your feedback and please don't hesitate to contact me if I can be of any further service.

Reviewed July 1, 2012

I was here for a conference and I have to say the food they provided was amazing though very expensive! Our room was nice but smelled of body odor...

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded July 5, 2012

Thank you very much for commenting on the quality of our rooms and the food served at the Hotel during your conference. We certainly take a lot of pride in our establishment and we appreciate the kind words.

I was very sorry to hear that you detected an unpleasant odor in your room. I understand that situations like this can be extremely frustrating when traveling, and I assure you that this is not our standard. Please be certain that we are investigating this with our Housekeeping and Maintenance Team to ensure all guestrooms smell clean and fresh. I assure you that we will find the root cause of the problem.

We take our guests experience very seriously, and if there is any further direct feedback you would like to provide me regarding your stay, or any area I can assist in, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly at lucas.laidlaw@renaissancehotels.com.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

This is nice, new hotel. The staff is really nice. But when we checked into our room it had a really bad smell like curry heaven or a 500 man with BO. So we asked to be moved to another room. Second room had the same smell. Not sure if it is the new furnishing or what.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RachelLP
Management response:Responded June 30, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us feedback regarding your recent stay. We really appreciate your kind words regarding our staff and service and will certainly share them with our team.

I also wanted to personally apologize for the fact that there was an out of the ordinary smell present in both rooms you encountered. I understand that situations like this can be extremely frustrating when traveling, and I assure you that this is not our standard. Please know that I am working with our Executive Housekeeper to investigate the root cause of this incident to ensure it does not happen again to any of our guests.

At the Renaissance Indianapolis North Hotel, we take all of our guests experience very seriously. If convenient for you, I would like to arrange a time where we could discuss this incident so I can ensure I am addressing all of your concerns. I can be contacted via email at lucas.laidlaw@renaissancehotels.com. Thank you again for your time and response, and we look forward to being of service in the future.

Reviewed June 12, 2012

I was just on a Business trip to Indy last week and stayed at this hotel. It top drawer. As soon as i walked in. I saw a smile and a happy employee. I was checked in and up to my room in no time. The room was cozy. Nice TV, Avg size bathroom and a good desk area. This is perfect for a business trip. The exercise room is good. I used one of the treadmills. Each treadmill has a TV on it. This was a quick trip. In and out, but i will be back to this spot. If your in Indy, then give it a shot.

Room Tip: Get a top floor.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 30, 2012

We stayed here just one night for a wedding nearby. It is a very nice hotel with a large and comfortably elegant lobby. The fitness center looked nice, but unfortunately a morning after a good wedding with a long drive following doesn't typically inspire a workout for me.

Despite having sort of an odd shaped corner room, it was comfortable and had everything we needed. The room had funky looking lighting which was unique, an enhanced looking work power station desk and the basic everything else you need/expect. Nothing to complain about.

The bar was a good place to grab a drink and share a hummus plate before departing for the evening, sadly upon our return it was too late for another round.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple