Murphy Guest House Bed and Breakfast
$79
$71
Day Light Inn(Elkhart)
$54
Red Roof Inn - Elkhart(Elkhart)(Great Value!)
$61
$125
Fairway Inn(Elkhart)
$62
$57
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We were in this area for a wedding, and Murphy Guest House was recommended to us. We had only stayed in one bed and breakfast, and we were unsure of how we would like it. For starters, the home is lovely--high ceilings and original trim work (beautiful wood). The rooms were good-sized and comfortable. The proprietor's attention to detail is amazing: "Welcome" cheese and crackers, strawberries dipped in chocolate (with our initials on them), bed-side water carafe with ice water, turn down service with mints on pillow, coffee and a wonderful selection of teas, a frig outside the bedroom with water and ice cream, and a gourmet breakfast with an elegant table setting. The attention to detail was amazing!
Murphy Guest House exceeded our expectations. We were very pleased!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I love Chicago. I also love leaving Chicago. Murphy Guest House was the perfect escape from the city - it's reasonably priced, and the Victorian house is a beautiful setting for curling up with a good book or a game (thankfully, it isn't overwhelmed by frills and lace, like so many bed and breakfasts seem wont to be). Ann is an incredible host - it's clear that she loves what she does.

We were greeted with sparkling juice, chocolate-covered strawberries with our initials drawn in white chocolate, grapes, and a little plate of cheese and crackers. And our names were written on a chalkboard welcome sign outside of our room. What a welcome! We stayed in Jayme's Room, and the bed was a contender for The Most Comfortable Bed Ever. I kid you not, it really was that good. I'd be tempted to take it home, but my little car would never be able to hold it.

There's ice cream and bottled water in the fridge, a large selection of excellent teas downstairs (Ann also sells tea), and candy everywhere. We had a breakfast of waffles with fresh fruits and whipped cream, lavender bread, scones, ham, scrambled eggs, and Orange Julius. I tried valiantly, but couldn't even come close to finishing it all. Also: I will be reverse-engineering the Orange Julius. My boyfriend and I couldn't stop talking about it. (Ann was kind enough to list the ingredients for me, so experimentation begins tomorrow.)

Since we'd gotten into a conversation about how much we loved dogs, Ann also introduced us to Pixie, who promptly decided we were friends and demanded our attentions in the best way possible. (This may have been my boyfriend's favorite part of the morning.)

All in all, it was a fantastic, relaxing way to spend a couple of days. We're looking forward to coming back (hopefully for longer next time!).

Room Tip: There are only three rooms, but they all look lovely. They're all on the second floor, which may be useful for some to know.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed our stay very much. Ann is an excellent hostess and has a fine eye for detail. The historic home has nicely decorated rooms, is tastefully finished and the breakfast was wonderful! She also has a very nice tea shop in the home. Highly recommended if you are in the Bristol or South Bend area.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 20, 2013

My husband and I went to the Murphy Guest House for my birthday. We were greeted by Ann. She had gone over and above to make sure that our stay was very special. The room was so pretty and the king size bed so comfy. The scones, the lavender bread, the lemon curd. and the devonshire cream were deicious.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Ann's B&B during a trip to a ND Football and Soccer game. It was only a 30 minute drive between campus and the B&B. We typically stay in South Bend, but due to last minute arrangements and high prices, we opted to stay in Bristol, and we are so glad we did! It was a warm, comfortable stay, to say the least. We were greeted with special personalized treats, sparkling grape juice, wonderful turn down service, hot water for tea any time, and homemade cookies. The breakfasts were plentiful and delicious! I took home a recipe! The bedding and bed was oh so comfortable! Ann is a very gracious hostess and makes you feel right at home. I would highly recommend this B&B (and I;m pretty darn picky)! We have stayed at many B&B's, but this one will stick out due to the many special touches!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple