“Best waterbird viewing”

Tamar Island Wetlands
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Riverside
More attraction details
Owner description: The Tamar Island Wetlands is an unique urban wetlands reserve just 10 minutes' drive from the heart of Launceston. An interpretation centre offers visitors the opportunity to learn about the value of the wetlands environment and the wildlife that live there.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed August 23, 2014

A very nice walk through and over wetlands. We saw black swans, pelicans, and many shorebirds. There old homestead site, where a pioneer rammed his plow into a huge Enlgish Oak, which grew around it. The ground under it was covered with acorns, I presume because no native wildlife eats them. There is a modern informative nature center near the start of the walk.

Visited March 2010.

Reviewed August 17, 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our morning. The boardwalks are well-maintained, but sensible hiking shoes are recommended. The map on the brochure isn't clear enough so we weren't sure how long the walk was, but were happy to go as far as we could. It ended up being 4.5 km round trip, including the short detour to the bird hide near the info centre and out to the end of the jetty on the island itself, which is beyond the third bridge.
The remains of the ship wrecks were great to see, the surrounding scenery stunning, and the birds beautiful. The black swans were nesting when we visited, and there was a variety of other birdlife along the way, including a cheeky little male superb wren who greeted us as we entered the complex - so pretty with his jewel-blue breast and top of his head.
The volunteers in the info centre were enthusiastic and helpful and I love the shape of this building and the nesting boxes on the outside, which were being well-utilised by swallows.
The walk is flat, with the exception of a short section on the island itself which winds upwards to pass the plough embedded in a tree by one of the former occupants in the late 1800's. There are basic picnic facilities out on the island.
Visitors with small children or mobility issues could do a short section to the bird hide and back, rather than tackle the full walk. We also kept an eye on the weather forecast to be fairly confident of a nice day and it turned out to be glorious weather so we were fortunate. I don't think it would be as enjoyable if the weather were inclement as there's no shelter, so come prepared if there's the chance of rain.
We thought it great value for the low entry price.

1  Thank Jette_from_Oz
Reviewed August 9, 2014

Good walk, not much to see at this time of the year I think.. Would I recommend - probably not. If you like birds, you may like this type of thing.

Reviewed August 3, 2014

From a locals point of view the Tamar Island Wetlands are nothing special really, maybe I just take it for granted,

I suspect if you were visiting and hadn't been before then it might be something special. It's an ok walk out to the island, about 1.7kms I think. It's very flat, so an easy walk on well made boardwalks and gravel tracks. The visitors centre is interesting and if you haven't been it is certainly worth calling in for a look. If you are a Geocacher or Munzee collector then you will find a few to collect while you wander around the island and If you are a photographer be sure to take your camera as there are numerous varieties of birds in the wetlands.

On my last visit I found the boardwalks to be a bit overgrown with reeds and some maint. was needed. Maybe I visited between maintenance visits, maybe the place is a bit past it's prime.

Reviewed July 26, 2014

This has a boardwalk going from the Tamar Highway to the island. Depending on the time of day and time of year you can be walking over water or mudflats.Every time I have been ther have been plenty of waders. Easy walking as it is flat but surprisingly long if you are not fit. At the far end you come on the River Tamar and a jetty. Very pleasant but watch the weather.