“Awful hotel”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Paleo Faliro
Reykjavik, Iceland
“Awful hotel”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

The worst experience we had while visiting Greece and staying at many wonderful hotels. This hotel is nothing but the front. The photographs on the hotel's website and on booking.com do not give a realistic view of the hotel.

When we arrived at the hotel and came to the reception, we met a very unwelcoming, unhelpful and arrogant front desk employee. We wanted to go to another hotel but were too exhausted after a long travel day to go and find something else.

The room was very dated, surely needs a painting job (you could smell that this was once a smoking room), not clean and horrible beds. It was "a sea view room" which sounded rather nice but it should be called "a room with lots of noise from the traffic". We could have just as easily slept in a tent in front of the hotel, so much was the noise. And we hardly caught any sleep at all. The dirty and dated room made you feel as you could expect a cockroach or bed bugs coming crawling on you while sleeping.

From the first minute we regret staying at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank frauleinbjorg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Ended up at the Poseidon Hotel Beach Club by chance and had a great day. It was €7 for the day but that included a welcome ice cold free bottle of water. The presence of the staff meant that I felt safe to leave my belongings with my lounger whilst I swam. Easy to get to from central Athens.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Auckland
Reviewed September 23, 2012

The staff is generally rude. It doesn't have a good service and they treat the guests as though they are the bosses and the guests owe them favour.
The rooms are small and dirty. Some parts of the hotel are rennovated. If you insist on booking, don't book directly at the Internet website. It is over-priced. You can get the rooms at much cheaper discount at other websites such as Octopus.

Room Tip: In the rennovated area.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Edna M
Johannesburg
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We booked two rooms at this hotel on two occassions. The hotel was prepared to store our luggage at no charge which really helped us tremendously. Unfortunately the rooms need to be updated - the carpets are dirty and stained, the airconditioner appears to be on low even though it is switched to high - during the hot summer weather a good airconditioner is a necessity. The bathroom towels are worn and thin and the TV did not work in our room. Although the location is great the road is very noisy and if you are not used to traffic can keep you from having a good nights sleep. Fortunately I still had my earplugs and eyemask with me (which I received from Turkish Airways on the flight out to Greece) so I used these and got some sleep. Not recommended and will not book at this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank VeraJohannesburg
Richmond, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We stayed here for 1 night before heading back to UK and it really is a basic budget hotel. The hotel itself is pretty dated, esp the carpet and the bathroom, I thought I was in a time warp.

We also requested a double bed but when we got into the room it was two twin beds pushed together.

Also there are no restaurants close by, so you either have to eat at the hotel restaurant or the restaurant on the beach which is what we did.

There is no free internet at the hotel either which was annoying. We had been island hopping for 4 weeks and praticularly every pension we stayed had wifi.

The restaurant stank of cigarettes which was vile and the breakfast was dire.

One good thing about the hotel is the airport bus stops across the road - thank god!

They did however give us a plate of fruit on arrival which was lovely and the receptionist was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Teresa P
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights and then went island hopping for 7 days. I made a return booking for the night before I left Greece. During my 3 nights I had 2 small issues, firstly, I had originally booked for 2 nights however after arriving I asked to book a third night and was told yes that will be fine, however, this extension was not made and staff thought I was leaving after 2 nights, luckily they had room for me to extend my stay and appologised for not adding the extra night. I had to leave early the next morning and was told I could order a breakfast box to take with me, I said yes please but later that evening when I inquired where to pick it up from I was told it had not been ordered! They did, however, organise it then. The most disappointing event occured when I returned late at night after my island visit to be told my booking which I made prior to leaving was no longer available as I did not pay a deposit and they now had no rooms left. I had a printed conformation but it was not valid. It was 1.30am and I had to walk one kilometer up the road to another hotel. They said they tried to ring me but my phone did not answer so they cancelled my booking. It was also noisy and they charged hotel guests to use the sunbeds on the beach across the road. Internet usage was very expensive too.

Room Tip: don't choose the basic room as it is very small
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank jennifer t
Canada
Reviewed August 20, 2012

The Poseidon is an average, 3-star hotel, with a great location in Athens. The rooftop pool is nice during the day, and for drinks at night. The rooms are clean, but basic. The location is excellent, with beach access across the street, and the main tram system right out in front. The price of this hotel was great in August, and I would recommend it for a good value stay in Athens.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
posath1, Front Office Manager at Athens Poseidon Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at Poseidon Hotel.

We are thrilled to be characterised as a "good value for money" choice in Athens. Our efforts are continuously focused on ensuring customised hospitality, reflecting good relation between services delivered and price. We are always delighted to read that our philosophy is appreciated by our guests.

Thank you for choosing Poseidon Hotel and I do hope to welcome you back very soon.

Kind Regards,

#3 of 4 in Paleo Faliro
Hilton Athens
Hilton Athens
#23 of 326 in Athens

Been to Athens Poseidon Hotel? Share your experiences!