“Great value for money!”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Paleo Faliro
Thessaloniki
“Great value for money!”
Reviewed June 6, 2009

We were booked for a conference that took place in the hotel end of May.
Both guest and banquet rooms were well equiped clean and functional.
The staff was very helpfull with friendly attitude.
The whole event turned to a success and we will undoubtedly recommend this venue to our associates.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Norgren

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Italy
Reviewed June 4, 2009

I wrote them in advance telling them I was going to arrive late in the night and confirming my reservation, asking them not to give my room away. No answer.
When I got there at 2AM my room was gone. They moved me to another hotel and go me back again the day after. Real bad reception and grossly disorganised.
The hotel itself is far away from everything, overcrowded with screaming kids and tourists, the staff is unhelpful, unfriendly or downright rude, rooms are not really clean and reeking of cigarette smell.
I had to stay only 3 nights and was working just across the street, otherwise I had moved immediately.
Five stars? What for?

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Mestizaje

Travelers are raving about these Paleo Faliro hotels

UK
Reviewed May 19, 2009

I stayed here in March for 2 nights because I needed to be near to the Faliro Pavilion.

The staff were unhelpful especially at the desk and in the restaurant where I was ordered to "go and sit down" before I tried to place an order - in fact I had been sitting down for some 20 minutes before hand but no-one saw fit to serve us! When I finally did manage to order I had to wait another 10 minutes before being informed that I couldn't be served due to a power cut. The power cut may not have been their fault but the inefficiency and bad attitude certainly was! They wouldn't even recommend anywhere else that I could get something to eat.

The rooms were small and worthy of no more than a 3 star rating and the bathroom didn't even have a separate shower - I've stayed in Travelodges with better facilities. The room also smelt heavily of smoke despite apparently being non smoking.

The breakfast was absolutely awful. Everyone seemed to feel the same because looking around me they all appeared to be struggling to find something they could actually eat! It was okay if you wanted to take a roll for later but other than that forget it!

I would stay here again if I had to but only because of the proximity to where I needed to be and I would very much resent paying £140 per night. Even when I was leaving the receptionist carried on answering the phone - after he'd had an argument with another guest - despite the fact I obviously required some help.

I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is looking for a 5 star hotel - try the Marriott or the Intercontinental up the road. Also the attitude of the staff at the nearby 4 star Coral Hotel was by far superior - even when only calling in to ask for directions.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank PoppyEyebright
Philly, PA
Reviewed September 28, 2008

We enjoyed our recent stay at this grand hotel.
It was clean and comfortable with some nice amenities, ie, bath robe and slippers provided.
The room was air conditioned, well appointed and smoke-free
Only ate breakfast there, but it was more than adequate. A bit hard to find a place to sit, very crowded.
We enjoyed both the fitness room and pool.
A shuttle service was provided, but during a one day city-wide strike the shuttle did not run so used the public transportation which was close by and convenient. After that we used the public system which ran more often than the shuttle and later at night.
Only negative was the smoking in the lobby which permeated the whole building.

• Liked — Clean spacious rooms
  • Disliked — Smoking
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Yardley, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 23, 2008

We stayed here as part of our honeymoon. We wanted to see Athens and we were leaving from Pireaus on a cruise. They have a shuttle to the main square (they take an hour for lunch)
Not bad of a taxi ride either. Not luxurious but not bad.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
New York
Reviewed July 28, 2008

My husband and I just returned from an enjoyable and peaceful one week stay at the Metropolitan Hotel in Athens in July, 2008.

The hotel is located in the southern end of Athens (Piraeus) near a residential area, and thus is isolated from the hustle and bustle of the city center (although Syngrou Avenue is quite commercial). There is a free shuttle bus providing service to Syntagma Square (the center of town from which the Athens Metro service is easily accessible) that runs every hour, and taxis are easily accessible with the help of the bell captains outside the lobby.

We had booked a nonsmoking standard room with a king size bed (a request the hotel honored without hassle). The room was quite spacious (I would estimate around 250 sq. ft.) and comfortable, and was furnished with the aforementioned king size bed, TV, phone, a small desk with Internet connectivity (for 23 euro/day), a small love seat, a coffee table, and a luggage table. Closet and drawer space is plentiful, and a safe is included for storage of valuables.

The bathroom floor and shower/tub area are finished with marble tile, and sink counter space was plentiful. The inclusion of Molton Brown toiletries was a nice touch.

Overall, the room was neat and clean in appearance, with attractive carpet, bedding, curtains, and crown molding.

As for services, the hotel has four restaurants - Le Trocadero and Regatta Bar ( both adjacent to the lobby), La Veranda (a rooftop restaurant and bar) and a 24 hour cafe in the lobby atrium. We regularly ate in the atrium cafe, which serves typical comfort fare such as burgers and club sandwiches as well as some upscale offerings such as veal, sushi, etc. The food was excellent, with my only complaint being the service at times, which can be a bit slow (this is typical of the laid back atmosphere in Greece, however). The prices are a bit steep, but that is to be expected at any hotel restaurant, and their are some nearby cafes/tavernas one can visit for more reasonably priced fare.

Also in the lobby is a small gift shop, where you can find gum, candies, a few snacks, and toiletries.

In the basement, there is a fitness center (with treadmills, stair climbers, free weights, and a few machines) and a hair salon. There is also a rooftop pool and deck adjacent to La Veranda restaurant that offers a fine view of Athens, including the Acropolis in the distance and the Sarconic Gulf.

Overall, this is a pretty, 4.5 star hotel with excellent (but expensive) restaurants and fine (albeit at times slow) service. In our opinion, It is a smaller, less costly, and superior alternative to the larger chain hotels that dot Syngrou Avenue (such as the Intercontinental, Hilton, and Sheraton). I would highly recommend it to anyone visiting Athens for business, pleasure, or both.

• Liked — Cleanliness, appearance of room/hotel in general, service, food
  • Disliked — Internet service charge, meal costs
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KouklaNewYork
Amherst, MA
Reviewed July 16, 2008

Blankets had cigarette burns. Room smelled of cigarette smoke (non-smoking means they remove the ashtrays,,,). Room was dirty. Hotel was full of large groups of rowdy tourists. Hotel is grossly overpriced for the non-group travellers (us). Breakfast was 20 euros per person (are you kidding me?). The pool is very small and was under construction! This place is far from any attraction. It is a two-star hotel for American standards.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The dirty and smelly room
  • Stayed June 2005, traveled with family
#33 of 325 in Athens
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,877 reviews
Exarchia
Radisson Blu Park Hotel Athens

Been to Metropolitan Hotel? Share your experiences!