“Relaxing Weekend at Scottish Bed & Breakfast”

Scottish Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Bremen B&B and Inns
Glen Ellyn
“Relaxing Weekend at Scottish Bed & Breakfast”
Reviewed March 10, 2012

My husband and I had a wonderfully relaxing weekend in Bremen, Indiana, staying at the Scottish B&B. Brenda and Homer were terrific hosts. The food and company was excellent. And we got to visit with an Amish family who treated us to a buggy ride and a delicious dinner. I thought it was just going to be the usual tourist type dinner. But it was a memorable evening spent with such a friendly couple and their exuberant son. I felt like we were visiting with old friends. Definitely plan to visit again in the near future. -Vicky and Pete

Room Tip: We stayed in the Antique Suite. Very roomy and private.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed January 3, 2012

We had a wonderful time at Scottish B&B. Our hostess, Brenda, is an excellent cook and a veritable encyclopedia of things to do in the area. Our dog, Marlee, enjoyed everything except having to be crated when we were out, since she has the run of the house when we are at home.

Generally GREAT EXPERIENCE!

Naperville, IL
Reviewed December 31, 2011

Even though I am 67 and I did not rob the cradle, this was the first B&B stay of my wife and I. We took advantage of a Living Social deal, and, it turns out so did the other 2 pairs and one threesome staying at the same time. I believe we all had a marvelous experience. Our hosts, Brenda and Homer were gracious and helpful. They had prepared bags for each "couple" with local things to do and a CD of the history of the area. They made recommendations and accomodations. They even feed us a soup and sandwich with dessert dinner on the day of arrival. (This was a 2 night package.) Breakfast was nice and sufficient, but portions were controlled by plate delivery. We didn't need to pork up anyway.

The place was built in 1999 so everything still looks about brand new. The queen sized bed was a sleep number bed with indivdual control for the 2 halves. Our room has a whirlpool as well as a shower and the bathroom floor had radient heat.. Wi-Fi in the room as wll as a 32 inch LCD TV. Included the DVD player and free use DVD's from the library. Indoor pool and lounging area. All in all, a really nice place, but.....

The highlight had to be the dinner with a local Amish family (part of our package). They answer all your questions about the Amish culture and way of life. a terrific Amsih family with a fancinating story. After this, it really didn;'t matter what the B&B was like. The dinner made the entire trip worhwhile.

We also stopped by an Amish grocery store, as well as a fabric shop and variety store. The fabric store has no artificial lighting because "the generator" was out (as Amish, they are not connected to the grid) and an Amish variety store -generator was running, but in order to process the credit card over the phone lines, they needed to go out back to the telephone shed and tell he other employee to get off their only line. So, all in all, a pleasant, interesting, and somewhat different experience.

If you are thinking of just getting away for a few days, this is a worthwhile place.

Room Tip: Didn't have a fitness center, but did have an indoor pool that no one used.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 26, 2011

The Scottish B&B is a very nice, relaxing place to stay if you are visiting the Amish area around Indiana. The owners, Homer and Brenda, are very nice and provide great accommodations for their guests. We enjoyed ourselves!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 19, 2011

This was our first trip to Amish Country. I have to say we really enjoyed our stay at the Scottish Bed and Breakfast. The Antique room was comfortable, warm, with its own fireplace and, very clean. Brenda the inn keeper was a wonderful source of knowledge about the area. Brenda also arranged for us to meet an Amish family in their home for dinner. That was an experience I will carry with me as I now see the Amish in a completely different way. Our soup and sandwich dinner the first night was awesome! Just the right touch after a long day on the road. Breakfast the next morning was divine! And out breakfast on check out day was really better than expected for a check out day. Some areas that we recommend that you see is the Rentown Grocery store. Great Amish food for a lot less. The Dutch Village on Tomahawk and the Old Bag Factory in Goshen.

Room Tip: The Antique rooms and the Loft rooms have a flight of stairs so if you don't like the steps go f...
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed December 8, 2011

Scottish B&B was a great and cozy stay last weekend! My Mom who had flat out refused to stay in a B&B in the past thoroughly enjoyed her first stay at one! It was a fun and memorable weekend in the Amish country! Brenda and Homer were most kind and accommodating (always willing to answer any and all questions) while making you feel right at home. The food was outstanding and had nice presentation too! I highly recommend Rentown store and Old Bag Factory in Goshen. Great getaway!! I plan on returning sometime in the future :) PS Be sure to have a massage by Fran while you are staying at the B&B!

Room Tip: I highly recommend "The Loft Suite"!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed December 5, 2011

There were several things that caused me to feel a little stressed during my stay. The innkeeper seemed either really uptight about things or friendly depending on the conversation. She was really nice when discussing the area and things to do, but the rules of the inn were a little overwhelming. When I left my room, I was worried that I was going to break a rule from the paragraph of rules in the contract I signed when I checked in. I have stayed at some very nice bed and breakfasts in Indiana, as well as Seattle and Boston, and have not ever had to sign a contract with this number of restrictions upon checking in. Usually, they just want the payment for the room and are done. I think one of the strangest things that I encountered was that she asked me to add a tip to the dinner they served and told me how much to tip her. I've never been asked to add a tip by the person serving the food and how much. I also thought it odd that you could have nothing but water in your room to drink and no food. I know if you spill some food in the room that it would be an expense to the inn to clean it up, but you would think it would be built into the price of the room so that your guests would feel comfortable. Finally, she kind of trash talked another inn in the area. What she told me about the other inn was pretty gross, but I didn't think it was good form to gossip about another area business to someone she just met. It was a very nice inn and the room was very comfortable, which is too bad because I would have probably stayed there again had I had a better experience with the innkeeper.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Lisa196236942
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bremen
#17 of 29 in South Bend
#4 of 6 in Plymouth
Morris Inn
Morris Inn
#1 of 29 in South Bend

Been to Scottish Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!