“Bugs! Broken refrigerator. Below average breakfast.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Holiday Inn Express Bluffton
Holiday Inn Express Bluffton
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Bluffton
Carmel, Indiana
“Bugs! Broken refrigerator. Below average breakfast.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

We had three rooms, two had bugs. Refrigerator in one room was broken so front desk staff offered to store my food in their kitchen. Ok, but not convenient when I wanted a late night snack.

Rooms wete nice and comfortable beds. Nice workspace with large desk.

Breakfast was below average. Only white bread, no wheat. Scrambled eggs looked like they had been sitting out too long, were dry and darker yellow on top. Pancake maker had "out of order" sign. Disappointing.

Nice fitness room!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Ice999
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bluffton, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Ice999,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Bluffton, IN. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Orlando A.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Fayetteville, Arkansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

As you can imagine, there isn't a ton of activity in Bluffton, IN which is a small town roughly 20-30 minutes from Fort Wayne. While this hotel would be considered to be an acceptable choice to the average business traveler, it's a "so-so" hotel in terms of decor and amenities. In comparison to some of the newer Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express branded hotels, this particular location would be somewhere in the middle tier at best.

While I've never experienced an issue with cancellations as some of the reviews have mentioned, I can see where some of the reviewers may have encountered this experience. As a personal example, if you request a military/government rate, you'd be well advised to have a picture ID as a general non-photo ID doesn't work with this staff (across multiple stays and multiple subordinate employee visits). My suspicion is that this hotel simply doesn't receive the volume of business in comparison to other Holiday Inn/Express locations I've visited so every penny is critically important to this particular hotel's franchisee.

In all fairness, there are better hotels just up the road in Fort Wayne that offer much more in terms of access to retail and restaurant options plus convenient access to Fort Wayne International (including Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express locations) and limited drivetime to Bluffton.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank WJC31589
Farmington, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

The front desk was willing and quickly able to fix a problem upon check-in. Overall, all the staff were very friendly, especially Jo Jo and Justin. In the breakfast room, LeAnn was very friendly and helpful!

The family suite was a bit awkward. We appreciated the roominess, but couldn't figure out the layout. The bedroom with a door (and the window) had no ventilation and no TV--we thought this would be the "parents'" room. The other bedroom without a door had floor ventilation and the TV. This all seemed backward from what we would have expected. The room was pretty clean, overall. And the suite's thin walls are located right next to the ice machine, which is okay unless people need ice in the middle of the night.

The pool area overall was relatively clean, but there was some mold growing in the grooves of the blue rubber that outlined the top of the pool and hottub. I did mention it to the front desk, but by the evening, hadn't been cleaned.

We put in a maintenance request for a burnt out light bulb, which was quickly corrected.

We'd stay here again if we were in the area.

Room Tip: The family suite was a good value, even with it being next to the ice machine and having an awkward...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Vernon Hills, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

Be advised, any cancellations may bring charges regardless of fair play. Be sure to get a cancellation number as Management will not reply to any calls nor make an allowances for even the most frequent customer. Corporate HI wasted my time and had no influence over the situation at all. I will not stay at any Holiday Inn as a result of this experience again and be sure to exclude them from any future recommendations.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank terry g
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bluffton, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Dear terry g,

Thank you for your review regarding your experience. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. We’d like to obtain some additional details regarding your experience, so we have sent you a private message.

Irish V
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Bluffton hotels

Edmonton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

I booked through Hotels.com for 2 nights with the option to cancel the second night's stay by 6:00 p.m. of the second day. When my travel plans changed and I checked out after only one night I was informed at the hotels front desk that I had prepaid for two nights and that my reservation was non refundable. After showing them Hotels.com booking policy and trying to explain my position, I gave up and told them I would take the matter up with my credit card company when I returned home. Mr Patel the hotel manager came out from behind the counter in a rage and started screaming two inches from my face. He followed me out of the hotel and into the parking lot and wouldn't let it go. BAD BAD BUSINESS. They Holiday Inn claimed I used a Hotels.com prepaid option which I did not. I showed him proof that I paid their full rate at the time of booking while knowing my plans were tentative. Be aware as the operator at Hotels.com told me that they were a pre-pay only company which I know is not true as I have used their service many times. Its not how any customer should be treated!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Edmonchuckers
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bluffton, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Dear Edmonchuckers,

Thank you for taking time to write your feedback of our property. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Pam G.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

I have family in town but stayed here during a family wedding. It was clean, quiet, safe, convenient (Wal-Mart in walking distance) and the free breakfast was yummy with many choices hot and cold. I did not try out the pool. The room was clean, comfortable and the service was excellent. I would stay again with no hesitation.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank LR2Girl
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2012

I had to cancel my stay at this motel because of eye surgery. I tried to contact manager but he did not return my calls. I then called the corporate office and was told he would get back with me which he never did. A refund for one night was given after repeated calls. They are the most expensive motel in Bluffton IN. and I will never give a reference for the lousy and terrible service this company has.

Room Tip: Check out Budget Inn and Bluffton Inn as well as the Linger Inn motels. There are several good bed a...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Michelle J
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bluffton, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
Dear Michelle J,

I deeply apologize it took longer than expected to get your refund.
I am however glad it was taken care of.
I hope that you have recovered well from your eye surgery.

Katie J'
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bluffton
Comfort Inn
Budget Inn
Budget Inn
#4 of 4 in Bluffton
Clock Tower Inn Berne

Been to Holiday Inn Express Bluffton? Share your experiences!