“One of the cheapest and, actually, one of the nicer places I've stayed in Bloomington"”

Super 8 Bloomington
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed February 27, 2011

I stayed here while visiting my daughter at IU. Due to what seems to be parent's weekend for the Greek system, there are virtually no hotel rooms available in this little village, and I stayed at Super 8 after a night at another large chain hotel. The latter was pricey ($155. In Bloomington, IN!!!!), and had a room that was as thick with smoke as the house that I once shared with my four-pack-a-day parents. The bed was also very uncomfortable, and I was glad to move on to another hotel.

Enter the Super 8. The good things about this hotel: it is actually in a fairly nice area, away from the usual drag (College/Walnut); the room did not smell of smoke; the bed was actually quite comfortable; the wireless is free and seemed reliable and consistent; there is a reasonably nice looking pool/jacuzzi; the staff was friendly. All of this for, get this, $59, or about $100 less than what I paid the previous night.

I had no negative experience with this hotel at all. Perhaps the most negative comment that I can muster is that the TV seemed old and the color was not very good. But, before I turned it on, and after I turned it off, I had no complaints. A good night of sleep.

Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank jfstanton137

Reviewed January 25, 2011

Have stayed at this hotel before with no problems but was disappointed with this stay. Did my reservation online and requested a king suite. When we checked in was given a double room with no explanation. Took confirmation to desk to show what was confirmed and was told I had reserved a double room. Went to the pool area to use the hot tub and it didn't work, reported it to the desk and was told it had alot of use so it was probably wore out. It would be reported if a maintenance person came in.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 19, 2011

Stayed overnight while visiting relatives. Almost missed it as it is hard to see and off the road. Carpet in room didn't lay flat so created a walking hazard. Needed to be stretched and tacked down. Easy chair needed replacing and wallpaper had been patched. Mattress on bed was hard and uncomfortable. Toilet needed fixing as it kept running. Breakfast area was small and crowded so didn't try the breakfast. Service checking in and out was good and room was clean. Room did stay warm but heater kept kicking on and off all night. All together we had a very comfortable stay.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kay1947
Reviewed September 30, 2010

Hey, it's a Super 8, it's cheap. For the price, I expect clean sheets, quiet, no bugs, no smoke smell, and a clean bathroom.

This place was all of the above. Even better, the bathroom was relatively updated and the furniture wasn't beat up. We got to breakfast at 6:30 and there was plenty of food if you just want a bagel w/ cream cheese, a waffle, and coffee.

Very near campus.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 6, 2010

Clean rooms, friendly staff. The pool and spa area looked nice even though I didn't use them since I spent the day at Lake Monroe. Close to downtown and campus. (about a 5 min drive). Breakfast was OK. Decent selection but I have seen better at other hotels. Breakfast area was small but adequate.
When traveling to Bloomington, I prefer to stay at Courtyard Marriott or Biddle Center so I can walk to everything and not have to worry about parking. Super 8 provided a cheaper alternative especially if you are just staying a 1-2 nights.
It is not my first choice in Bloomington, but I would stay here again. Most important it was clean and safe. Beds were fine, towels weren't the greatest but were clean and staff provided more when asked. No public restroom in lobby. Overall slightly above average..

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 17, 2010

I was only in town for one night, on short notice, and needed a place to sleep. I'm in college, so I needed something relatively cheap. However, I'm intensely averse to filth, so I was a little worried. I went ahead and booked it, and was pleasantly surprised.
The employee at the desk was helpful and courteous. I got to the room, and could tell on first glance that it was clean. It was nothing fancy, obviously, but it served its purpose very well. The bed was comfortable, the sheets were clean (I could smell the bleach, not strongly, but enough to know that they were fresh). The bathroom was clean.
I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed August 8, 2009

The pics on line make it look nice, but it was the worse room we've ever stayed in. It wasn't even close to a room worth $89.99 plus tax. The floor looked dirty and felt gross...it needs shampooed very badly. Around the edges of the room it didn't look swept and there was something "nasty" under the air conditioner unit. The air conditioner was very old/loud and dirty. It had tons of dust down in the vents!!!! Then our door would not stay looked from the outside. I pulled it shut hard every time and could walk in from the hallway w/o using a key, which is very unsafe. We didn't check in until 9 p.m. then we drove around town and didn't get in the actual room until 10. We had 3 small kids & were just ready to go to bed once we arrived. Had we arrived before hand and looked at the room I would not have stayed in the room. I had made a reservation so I knew I would be out all of my money if we went elsewhere. I'm very dissatisfied and aggravated that I spent that much money to stay in a "dump"

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family