“Cheap, Well Located”

Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Bloomington
Marina, California
“Cheap, Well Located”
Reviewed May 25, 2011

The title sums up this motel's main draws. I got this on a Priceline vacation package. It was either this, Days Inn, or pay something like $80 more for my four nights. This appeared to be in a better location than the Days Inn, so I chose it. Kind of glad that I did, because there was a lot of construction on the bypass, in front of the Days Inn, so that would have likely been very annoying.
But I wasn't expecting a lot here. I mean, anyone who's stayed in a Travelodge, experiencing all the glory of a "Bear Bites Breakfast" and a stay where at least something has to go wrong, knows that this is not a top-end hotel. I was happy that my little cinder-blocked paradise (relatively large room) was bed bug free and seemed to be clean. I think what throws some people off is the exterior of this place, which will likely be nostalgic for some, especially the hallways that stink of cigarettes. Actually, it reminded me of an apartment complex in Boulder where a friend lived for a while, as it was an old motel that had been converted. I could see that happening to this one, actually, because it's pretty much the last business (period) before you reach the IU campus, a long stretch of residential.
Staff seemed nice enough, never being too friendly but also being cordial. One was even nice enough to send off a fax for me at no charge. The breakfast was garbage, as anticipated, and the funny thing was that, because I like my bagel actually toasted instead of heated, it set the smoke detector off. The clerk said that this was a common occurrence, and that it would stop soon. But it went on for a full two minutes, and, needless to say, I was not there the following morning to take advantage of my complimentary Bear Bites Breakfast.
The requisite of any Travelodge stay is that something has to go wrong. In this case, it was the wifi, which just suddenly stopped working one night, and was out for over 24 hours. I tried several access points, but all of them refused to give me an IP. I asked and was told that it was having issues, and that there was no estimated time of restoration, so I had to finish the night at a coffee shop in order to complete my business for the day. Annoying, yes. But it could have been worse.
And, yeah, it's not THAT bad. I mean, I've certainly stayed in worse motels, even worse Travelodges, and at least it was in a good location in a safe neighborhood. So if you're coming here on a tight budget and need something close, clean and cheap, this would be a good option. Otherwise, there are other places in Bloomington that will suit you much better.

Room Tip: Low wifi signal, close to access point
Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank colinaz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Cross Plains, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 7, 2011

We were staying in Bloomington for just one night on our way home from a vacation. After reading some of the reviews I called to discuss them with the manager (owner?) before making a reservation. He said since he had taken over operation of the property he had put a lot of money into the motel and he thought I would be satisfied. We were, indeed, satisfied! For the price and for our needs the Travelodge was great. The manager went out of his way to be friendly and make sure we had everything we needed. The location is fantastic near the university, right next to Red Lobster and within walking distance of Coldstone Creamery! The free high speed Internet is a real plus...

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marinski11
indiana
Reviewed February 23, 2011

I had to stay here for 4 nights because of winter storm. I checked in on Monday and explained my weird hours that I worked(sleep during the day and working in middle of night). Got a kingsize bed in a non-smoking room $45/night. Decor was old but room & bathroom were clean & bug free. Wifi, limited cable on TV. Location was close to restaurants & drugstore. They served continental breakfast and staff was helpful & friendly. Only complaints I have was the phone calls waking me up on days 2 & 3 to come clean my room, I woke up to let them in on day 3. And on day 4 I was awaken by an 11am phone call telling me I had to check out by 11:30am, I said I will pay the $25 fee for late check out and was informed I could no longer stay because all rooms were booked & they needed to clean mine now. Yes I was kicked out w/little sleep but I did just show up 4 days prior w/no reservations.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank IndianaDaddy
South Bend, Indiana
Reviewed December 20, 2010

As the parent of an IU student, I have stayed in Bloomington numerous times in the past few years. I have tried many of the hotel options and have settled on Travelodge as my hotel of choice for a routine overnight or weekend. It is what it is. Not a 5-Star luxury facility but a clean, convenient, comfortable place to spend a night or two. Front desk and housekeeping staff are friendly. I have never been bothered by noise. There is no view, but I don't go there to spend my time in the hotel. Best bargain I have found in lodging for what I need.

Most convenient location I have found for my agenda. Busy corner of 3rd Street and Route 46. College Mall, CVS, and multiple eating establishments of the national chain variety are within walking distance. Shares a parking lot with Red Lobster. Busy steet to cross on foot but ... across the street from Starbucks, Panera, Fazoli's, CVS, and Bloomington's College Mall.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank CAROZT
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed November 5, 2010

When I see all these negative reviews for a place that I thought was OK, I wonder if the reviewers know how to deal with people. Room was fine. I asked for a sports bar and they steered me away from the Red Lobster which is just across an alley. But I went to the Red Lobster anyhow. The Red Lobster kept urging me to order food, when I was just trying to unwind from my drive from Milwaukee. After having 3 drinks they told me they had a 3 drink limit, "Which was corporate policy". If it is corporate policy it is not enforced anywhere else. I then went to the place where the Travelodge recommended: "A Cheeseburger in Paradise", which was delightful. Now I know why they steered me away from the Red Lobster. The staff also helped me with an alternate way back from the Football Game IF the streets were one way. I had absolutely no problem at the Travelodge during my stay.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
South Bend, Indiana
Reviewed September 26, 2010

My family booked this room as a last resort. It was an IU Football weekend and not many rooms left. Upon arrival, we checked out the room. The bathroom was NOT CLEAN. The shower had alot to be desired. Still, with no other rooms available in town, we though OK and went to the game. After returning from the game, my husband was resting on the bed. One of my daughters noticed bed bugs moving across the top of the bed. NASTY! NASTY! NASTY! The owner acted very nonchalent about the seriousness of this infestation. I will NEVER suggest this hotel to friend or enemy!!!!! $125.00 a night for bed bugs? I don't think so!!!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Hall53

Travelers are raving about these Bloomington hotels

ridgefield, ct
Reviewed August 16, 2010

Bathroom was Teribbly dirty, Room was dark and unclean. Bed sheets did not fit, TV did not work, entire property reeks of disaster. Do not stay here run far and fast from it.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family