“Spacious room, good bed, slightly frayed.”

Courtyard Bloomington
Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Bloomington
San Diego, California
“Spacious room, good bed, slightly frayed.”
Reviewed September 25, 2010

My room was larger than average and the bed very comfortable. Opening the door, I smelled a sickly-sweet odor, apparently air "freshener" that I could have done without; it was still clinging to my clothes when I got home. The ethernet plug in the wall was broken when I checked in and the maintenance man had gone home for the day, so I had to use the wi-fi in the lobby. There was no guest-information booklet in the room--I couldn't even find a check-out time in the room. Apparently the hotel has recently been renovated. The desk staff was helpful; the breakfast buffet (not included in the price of the room) didn't look appetizing, so I ate out. Indiana University is a long walk from the hotel; downtown Bloomington begins about three blocks to the north. Very few places were open for breakfast.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
dlz101082, General Manager at Courtyard Bloomington, responded to this review, September 28, 2010
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent experience at our hotel. It is feedback like this that helps us to continually improve our service that our guest receive while staying with us. If you could please contact me at the hotel and let me know what room you where in I would really appreciate it so that I may make sure the internet connection is fixed in this room. Please know that we take the needs of our guest very serious and are taking appropriate actions to make sure that this situation does not occur again to another guest.

Daniel Zeller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Korean first
Owings Mills, Maryland
Reviewed September 14, 2010

I visited friends at IU during Labor Day weekend. No wonder the hotel rate per night was really high. Very convenient location with paid airport shuttle service from/to IND. Free parking without tag required. Friendly staff at front desk, fast check-in. Room was very clean and quiet, even if my room was next to the elevator. Free wired internet service but no wireless was available, which was okay for me. Overall, I like this hotel and will come back again for visiting IU next time. However, I would like to comment on the housekeeping service. Here is the story. I stayed for two nights. After the first night, I left the room in the morning and went to IU. I came back to my room around 4pm but I found out the housekeeping service had not been done yet. I was so exhausted at that moment and had to take a nap, so I left "do not disturb" on door knob, and had to call and schedule housekeeping service around 6:30pm. I left for dinner afterward and they changed towels for me. It was not a big problem for me but still not very pleasant experience. I hope the hotel management will see this review.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
dlz101082, General Manager at Courtyard Bloomington, responded to this review, September 20, 2010
I wanted to thank you for your feedback regarding your recent experience at our hotel. It is feedback like this that helps us to continually improve our service our guest receive while staying here with us. Please know that we take the needs of our guest very serious and are taking appropriate actions to make sure that this situation does not occur again to another guest.

London, UK
Reviewed August 27, 2010

Comfortable, friendly and accommodating staff, good location and nice lobby.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Conroe, Texas
Reviewed August 9, 2010

Stayed for two nights at the end of July. Hotel was crowded and the room I wanted wasn't available so I was upgraded at no charge. Staff was very friendly all around and the room was clean and very comfortable. Excellent location right in the middle of Bloomington.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed May 21, 2010

Stayed at this hotel in February when visiting my daughter at IU. Room was about $115/night.
Was planning to stay next May to attend her graduation until I got this e-mail "inviting" me enjoy Courtyard for an absurdly jacked up rate. Hey, thanks for supporting Bloomington business for the past 4 years! Now stand on your head so we can shake the last pennies from your pocket.

Here's the unedited e-mail:

Dear Guest,

Congratulations!
After four tough years the big event is on the horizon!

We want to thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Bloomington as your Graduation Destination!

As a reward for your patients and your child’s hard work we are offering these special room rates*:
$399.00 per night plus tax- King size bed with sofa pull-out
$409.00 per night plus tax- Two queen size beds
$409.00 per night plus tax- Two queen size beds with sofa pull-out
$459.00 per night plus tax- Suite, One king size bed with sofa pull-out in adjoining room
*These rates are a limited time offer and subject to change at anytime.

All reservations require a three (3) night minimum stay.

To receive this special offer you can log on to ******* on Monday May 24th at 12:00pm Eastern Standard time.

Dear Courtyard by Marriott,

Want to double your rates for graduation week? O.K. F-me.
Want to more than triple your rates? O.K. F-you.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
dlz101082, General Manager at Courtyard Bloomington, responded to this review, May 24, 2010
I wanted to thank you for the feedback regarding the 2011 IU Graduation Rates. I understand that the rate during this time is increased; however, we do this to stay competitive in the market. I apologize that you feel this is unreasonable and wanted to just let you know how much we value your feedback. If there is anything else we can do please feel free to let me know.

Indiana
Reviewed April 12, 2010

Courtyard by Marriott in Bloomington is a great location to both IU and convention center. We walked everywhere (shopping, nightlife, dining, etc). Free parking was a plus and rooms were clean, comfy, and modern. Fresh cookies, water, and coffee in lobby. Front desk staff were very friendly and accommodating. Indoor pool and internet cafe were other perks. Tons of places to eat within walking distance. Closest hotel to campus unless you stay in the Union Building.
My friend and I came down from Indianapolis for a weekend to enjoy all Southern IN wonders (Nashville, Brown County State Park, Bloomington fine dining) and enjoyed every minute. Upland Brewery, Farm Bloomington, Brusters Ice Cream, Pizza Express, Nick's, Trojan Horse were all great:)
This is a great hotel for families, couples, business trips, girls/guys weekend, or campus visit.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Indiana
Reviewed March 18, 2010

Stayed for 5 nights. Clean. Nice towels. Good value. Didn't eat breakfast so can't comment. My sister and I shared a room. We both had the most uncomfortable beds ever along with the flattest, floppiest pillows I have ever seen. My bed 'crinkled' like it was filled with plastic. It was also hard. Absolutely no padding. My sister complained of the same thing with her bed. The pool was nice. Friendly staff.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
dlz101082, General Manager at Courtyard Bloomington, responded to this review, March 29, 2010
Dear Valued Guest-

It is our goal to not only meet, but exceed our guests expectations. I am truely sorry for this experience. I want to do what I can to rectify the situation, if you would please contact me directly at the hotel so I can get your information so I may investigate the issue with your bedding. I do want to know which room you where in so I can be sure this does not affect anymore of our guest.

Thank you for your feedback and please call me as soon as you can so I may assist you further.