“Great experience”

Courtyard Bloomington
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed August 9, 2010

Stayed for two nights at the end of July. Hotel was crowded and the room I wanted wasn't available so I was upgraded at no charge. Staff was very friendly all around and the room was clean and very comfortable. Excellent location right in the middle of Bloomington.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed May 21, 2010

Stayed at this hotel in February when visiting my daughter at IU. Room was about $115/night.
Was planning to stay next May to attend her graduation until I got this e-mail "inviting" me enjoy Courtyard for an absurdly jacked up rate. Hey, thanks for supporting Bloomington business for the past 4 years! Now stand on your head so we can shake the last pennies from your pocket.

Here's the unedited e-mail:

Dear Guest,

Congratulations!
After four tough years the big event is on the horizon!

We want to thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Bloomington as your Graduation Destination!

As a reward for your patients and your child’s hard work we are offering these special room rates*:
$399.00 per night plus tax- King size bed with sofa pull-out
$409.00 per night plus tax- Two queen size beds
$409.00 per night plus tax- Two queen size beds with sofa pull-out
$459.00 per night plus tax- Suite, One king size bed with sofa pull-out in adjoining room
*These rates are a limited time offer and subject to change at anytime.

All reservations require a three (3) night minimum stay.

To receive this special offer you can log on to ******* on Monday May 24th at 12:00pm Eastern Standard time.

Dear Courtyard by Marriott,

Want to double your rates for graduation week? O.K. F-me.
Want to more than triple your rates? O.K. F-you.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
dlz101082, General Manager at Courtyard Bloomington, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2010

I wanted to thank you for the feedback regarding the 2011 IU Graduation Rates. I understand that the rate during this time is increased; however, we do this to stay competitive in the market. I apologize that you feel this is unreasonable and wanted to just let you know how much we value your feedback. If there is anything else we can do please feel free to let me know.

Daniel Zeller

Reviewed April 12, 2010

Courtyard by Marriott in Bloomington is a great location to both IU and convention center. We walked everywhere (shopping, nightlife, dining, etc). Free parking was a plus and rooms were clean, comfy, and modern. Fresh cookies, water, and coffee in lobby. Front desk staff were very friendly and accommodating. Indoor pool and internet cafe were other perks. Tons of places to eat within walking distance. Closest hotel to campus unless you stay in the Union Building.
My friend and I came down from Indianapolis for a weekend to enjoy all Southern IN wonders (Nashville, Brown County State Park, Bloomington fine dining) and enjoyed every minute. Upland Brewery, Farm Bloomington, Brusters Ice Cream, Pizza Express, Nick's, Trojan Horse were all great:)
This is a great hotel for families, couples, business trips, girls/guys weekend, or campus visit.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 18, 2010

Stayed for 5 nights. Clean. Nice towels. Good value. Didn't eat breakfast so can't comment. My sister and I shared a room. We both had the most uncomfortable beds ever along with the flattest, floppiest pillows I have ever seen. My bed 'crinkled' like it was filled with plastic. It was also hard. Absolutely no padding. My sister complained of the same thing with her bed. The pool was nice. Friendly staff.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
dlz101082, General Manager at Courtyard Bloomington, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2010

Dear Valued Guest-

It is our goal to not only meet, but exceed our guests expectations. I am truely sorry for this experience. I want to do what I can to rectify the situation, if you would please contact me directly at the hotel so I can get your information so I may investigate the issue with your bedding. I do want to know which room you where in so I can be sure this does not affect anymore of our guest.

Thank you for your feedback and please call me as soon as you can so I may assist you further.

Daniel Zeller

Reviewed December 29, 2009

I read the reviews and bid $70 on Priceline. We thought the room was an excellent value at that price. It was clean and comfortable with a huge tv! The pool was decent sized and heated nicely. The staff was friendly and we encountered no problems.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2009

I had read nightmare stories from people who have booked various hotels through Priceline, many saying they got the worst room in the place. That was certainly NOT our experience here. This was the first time I had used Priceline, putting in (what I thought was) a ridiculously low bid of $70 for a 3-star in Bloomington. Ended up here and our stay could not have been better.

Our room was very conveniently located just 1 floor up; not far from the elevator or ice machine. It was very quiet. The room was huge and had 2 queen beds, and each bed had 5 pillows (there can never be enough pillows for me!). The beds were extremely comfortable (soft), and we both have back problems with most beds being too firm. Everything was spotlessly clean. There was a ridiculously huge (42"?) flat screen t.v. Climate control was easy to use, quiet and effective. We used the wired internet access in in the room with our laptop and were instantly connected.

Off the lobby next to the elevators is a free coffee bar with 3 different coffees and all the fixings; it was so easy to zip down for my morning coffee instead of having to make it in the room (plus I got REAL half&half vs. the powdered packet junk in the room). I also used the free computers in the lobby while I was waiting for a ride. The clerk at the front desk was very cordial and efficient; I called from the room to ask directions to a restaurant, and he said to just stop by on our way out and he'll draw it on a map we can take with us (which is exactly what he did). Parking on the street was easy.

Didn't use the pool or have breakfast here so can't comment on that. Only stayed 1 night so can't comment on maid service. We were here for a family reunion, and I found myself bragging the next day to everyone else who stayed at the Fairfield Inn for $130. I would go back in a heartbeat, especially at the price I landed.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2009

The bathroom at this hotel was NOT clean. When I checked in, the toilet was dirty both inside the bowl and outside the bowl in a big way. Disgusting! I stayed for 3 nights and the room was never vacuumed and the floor never cleaned (debris was left there each day.) When I checked out and paid my $450 bill, there wasn't even a "thank you" from the desk clerk.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business