“Hotel was fine”

Courtyard Bloomington
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed July 21, 2014

We stayed one night while visiting Indiana University. It is within walking distance to downtown Bloomington. The rooms are very large and clean. They do need some updating. Our only complaint were the towels they are like sandpaper. The lobby was new and refreshed. Maybe the rooms will be next.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Barry V, General Manager at Courtyard Bloomington, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

Shari,

Thank you so much for your review. We appreciated the opportunity to serve you. We recently upgraded our linen system and are very happy with the results! We hope to you see you again soon!

Reviewed July 20, 2014

Convenient location when visiting the Indiana University campus in Bloomington. The new lobby is a pleasant place for informal meetings or a quick bite to eat. There are many night spots nearby within walking distance for a dinner, a libation or a few, or even live music. The hotel was clean and quiet with the comfortable beds one expects at Marriott hotels.

Room Tip: High floors quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank danielt2011

Daniel,

Thank you for your time in writing the response and thank you for staying at the Courtyard Bloomington! Bloomington is a great place and we are happy you were able to experience the vibrant downtown area! We hope to play host once again soon!

Reviewed July 14, 2014

Since my job affords me to book Marriott properties at a heavily discounted rate I find it a little harder to review hotels because things that would bother me if I was paying a higher price don't bother me. That being said the Bloomington CY provided a nice hotel stay. It was very clean inside and out and the room was clean,bedding was comfortable, and shower was nice. We did use the pool area with 2 young kids and it was very nice and towels were provided. Access to the outside courtyard was also very convenient. The location of the hotel is great and allowed us to walk to campus and places to eat. The only drawback is the AC in the room. I like some white noise in the room but the AC here is like a jet engine. You will have to turn up the TV a lot to hear it when the air kicks on. If you have to have it quiet to sleep or can't get used to the loud click when AC kicks on and the subsequent noise of the air then you will want to avoid this property. I stay in hotels 8-9 times a year and this property had some of the fastest and most reliable wi-fi that I have experienced in a while.

Room Tip: Might want to ask for a room facing College Ave. If there are people in the back courtyard you will...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Nawlins4LIFE

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to review Courtyard Bloomington! We always appreciate the feedback, especially from someone who is on the road so often. We deeply apologize for not giving you an excellent experience due to the AC noise, but please rest assured that we are taking corrective action. Thank you for the comment about the internet! It certainly makes life a little easier when the connection is great; we are in the process of upgrading more! We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed July 3, 2014

There were several small issues that, by themselves, would not have resulted in a negative review from me. However, the totality of issues, as well as the one big issue, and an even larger issue this one big issue suggests, leads me to my recommendation.

The Big Issue
I booked two rooms in this hotel, each for three nights. I learned on the second day of our stay that we would not require a third night. I informed the front desk at approximately 4:00 PM on the second day of our stay that we would be checking out the next morning. The front desk personnel told me that I would still be charged for that night (as I would have expected) AND the following night, as they do not make changes to reservations. This "policy" was not disclosed to me until that very moment. I asked to speak with the manager, and was told she would call me (I supplied my cell phone number). That call never came. When we checked out the next morning, I was informed the manager would not budge from her position. I again asked to speak with her. She refused to do so. Eventually, my credit card company reversed the appropriate amount, but only at the objection of the hotel. Without disclosure, they simply had no legal basis to attempt to enforce this policy.

The Even Larger Issue
Their decision to attempt to enforce a legally baseless policy speaks volumes about their concern for their customers, as well as their business ethics. I’ll never stay here again.

The Small Issues
My in-room television service was intermittent. I called front desk six times without seeing the issue resolved.
I experienced the same issue with the wireless Internet service. Again, six calls and no resolution.
There was road construction on the street outside my window. It wasn't exceedingly loud, but it should have been disclosed.
A service cart was left in the hallway just outside my door. The cart was there every time I walked by. Not only was this unsightly, but I also was concerned about sanitation. Several calls to the desk produced no explanation nor any results.

I experienced poor service at the restaurant on two occasions (the only two times I attempted to get something there). The first time, my son and I went there to have a quick breakfast. It took 20 minutes for us to receive half of our order. The other half arrived at our table fifteen minutes later … cold. The second issue was simply getting a cup of coffee (they’re a “limited” Starbucks operation. I waited 15 minutes for someone to take my order, while watching the two employees standing at the counter gabbing with who appeared to be a hotel guest. Neither of these two employees acknowledged my presence. I got my coffee somewhere else.

There are too many other options in Bloomington. I’ll spend my money at one of these other options the next time I’m visiting.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank RGRIS
Barry V, General Manager at Courtyard Bloomington, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

Good afternoon,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback. Please accept my sincere apology for the issues provided in your response. We are deeply sorry. Rest assured that we are taking immediate corrective action as required to ensure a better hotel for a return visit. Once again, we are very sorry for the issues experienced but we thank you for bringing them to our attention.

Reviewed June 28, 2014

I stayed here four nights for a class. I found the staff incredibly professional and welcoming, with one of the housekeepers remembering my name even after we had spoken briefly the day before. The location is pretty good; it is a short, five minute walk to downtown restaurants and bars. It's around a 10-15 minute walk to the west side of campus and somewhere around 35-40 minutes to the east side of campus. If you enjoy walking, Bloomington and the IU campus are nice places to stroll through, so as long as you don't mind stretching your legs, this is a good place to stay if you are attending events on campus. Very clean and comfortable. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Barry V, General Manager at Courtyard Bloomington, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

Henry,

Thank you for staying with us! Our housekeepers really care about our guests and try to offer a home away from home; I am excited to share your comments with them! We know there are a lot of choices in the area, and we are thankful you chose us for your stay. We look forward to hosting you again!

Reviewed June 2, 2014

Came in for a wedding and really enjoyed my stay. The beds were super comfortable and made it easy to get some rest between the long hours of festivities. The lobby remodel looked great as well. I will definitely be returning to the Courtyard Marriott the next time I stay in Bloomington.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank jpasho
Barry V, General Manager at Courtyard Bloomington, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2014

Thank you for your comments! The beds are awesome and I am glad you enjoyed them! We look forward to being your host again soon. Have a great weekend.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

The room was clean and the bed comfy. The college makes it noisier with people coming and going in the night. We had family in the hospital and they don't have any hospital rate. The breakfast was a bit on the skimpy side unless you paid for your breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Trish L
Barry V, General Manager at Courtyard Bloomington, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2014

Trish,

Thank you for staying with us for your trip to Bloomington. We understand it must have been a difficult time. I am glad you found the bed comfy and room clean! While we were offering a continental breakfast for a few days during our restaurant training, I can now say our Courtyard Bistro is open for breakfast and dinner! I hope you come back and try the great food!