“This is not what you will expect.”

Courtyard Bloomington
Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Bloomington
New Vernon, NJ
“This is not what you will expect.”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Nice staff, but this is a converted older hotel. Adding Courtyard carpeting does not make it what one expects of a current Marriott Courtyard.
My room was very tired, and while not filthy, certainly not cleas as I would expect from Marriott.
Unlike the other Courtyards I have stayed at, no mini fridge or microwave.
Pretty bad for a hotel that has no restaurant.
It is OK and this area seems devoid of a true quality hotel.
I was on the street side and it is very noisey. Try for the back side.
I assked if there were any upgades-Marriott Gold- and was basicaslly given a blank stare as my key was handed to me.

Room Tip: Get a room in the back away from the College Street. Very noisey. Loud midwestern pickup trucks all...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank gasman59
Barry V, General Manager at Courtyard Bloomington, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Thank you for writing to us about your stay. I understand your frustrations regarding the refrigerator and microwave. While we do not have a tremendous amount of requests for them, we are continually adding more and more to our rooms. If you are coming back soon, please send me an email or give me a call to set these items aside for you and ensure your room receives them. Currently, we are offering the Courtyard Buffet for breakfast, and in just over one months time, will have a new restaurant for breakfast and dinner. We are very excited and look forward to you seeing our "updated" hotel. In the meantime, we will work on our overall cleanliness and make sure next time you are in the hotel that we exceed your expectations. Thank you for staying!
Regards,
Barry Volkers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Korean first
Olney, Maryland
Reviewed January 28, 2014

The Courtyard was a perfect location to visit IU.

The hotel was an older Courtyard (without the newer lobby style with TVs and café), but the room was clean and the employees were very friendly and helpful. The 24 hour coffee/ flavored ice water and cookies in the afternoon and muffins in the morning was a nice touch.

The employees were friendly and truly impressed me when I overheard the way they handled a guest complaining about being cold in the middle of the night yet failing to call for an extra blanket. They smiled and apologized for her discomfort in what seemed like a silly complaint to me.

There were restaurants within and easy walk of the hotel, yet we chose to drive because of the freezing cold temperatures.

We had a nice sized room with two double (queen?) beds and a pull out couch.

If my daughter choses IU, this will be my go to hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Barry V, General Manager at Courtyard Bloomington, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Good afternoon and thank you for staying. We certainly hope your daughter chooses IU! The town is wonderful, food is great, and as you stated, campus is very close to Courtyard Marriott! If she doesn't choose IU, we would still love to have you back because Bloomington is a great place to visit!
Yorktown, Indiana
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Stayed here following an IU game. Just an OK hotel. Room was clean. No safe in room. Could use some cosmetic touch ups. In a good location...can walk to downtown and Kirkwood area if weather is nice. Parking was easy and is next to hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for your constructive comments. We are always looking to improve, and we take the comments of touching up very seriously. I suggest you come back soon and take a look at our progress!
South Bend, Indiana
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We took a chance and booked this hotel on Priceline. The best part was its close proximity to campus. It was very clean and comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your response and comments! We appreciate your business!
Decatur, Indiana
Reviewed January 11, 2014

We hosted a weekend graduation celebration at the Courtyard by Marriott - Bloomington IN, in December 2013. The entire Courtyard staff helped to make our family event a happy and stress-free experience. From the sales staff, to the front desk personnel, to the housekeeping and maintenance departments, all were so gracious and helpful. I can not say enough about how well we were treated. The facility is very nice too. We couldn't have been more pleased. It is also an easy, 2 block walk to the heart of town and many fine restaurants and night spots.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Bonnie,

The staff were delighted to hear of your experience here! It really helps all of us continue to work hard and provide our guests with everything they need. Thank you for the great response. We look forward to hosting you again!
Alpena, MI
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I ended up at the Courtyard after bidding on Priceline, which of course your not sure where you will end up just in an area they describe. This is an older Courtyard and probably not up to the same standards as other Courtyards I have frequented. BUT with that said it was a very nice stay. Beds were comfortable and room was nice. We had one cleaning concern but they addressed it. If I had paid "high dollar" for the room I would expected the more common standard however, this room at this price was a good deal. The bottom line - yes I would stay there again. Clean and comfortable is what I shoot for and they had it.

Room Tip: End of the hall away from elevator & ice machine
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review the property! We look forward to hosting you again soon!
Schererville, Indiana
Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

The redeeming thing about this hotel is the friendly and competent staff. There was only luke warm water in the morning for showers, towels were old and thread bare. Rooms were very basic. This is what I would expect at an economy hotel or hostel, not at a Marriott. The experience was not terrible but this is not a good value for the money.

Stayed December 2013
Barry V, General Manager at Courtyard Bloomington, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Thank you for letting us know how your stay was. We use this information to continuously adapt and better our hotel! I am very happy that the staff took great care of you. If you are able to send me an email with your information that details the room you were in, I will make sure that we adjust the temperature of the water to ensure the next guest has hotter water. I am sorry it wasn't set properly before your arrival. Thank you for your help!

Here is my email: barryvolkers@remingtonhotels.com

I look forward to hearing from you!