“Decent place for a night's sleep”

Courtyard Bloomington
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This is simply a clean place to sleep. No restaurant, no lounge. But if you bring your own food or walk a few blocks for some, you're fine. Oh, and the walls can be pretty thin -- I was awakened in the middle of the night by a lengthy conversation in the hallway outside my door.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Barry V, General Manager at Courtyard Bloomington, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Good afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Courtyard Marriott Bloomington! We appreciate all feedback and are happy that you enjoyed your stay minus the noise. We are always seeking ways to improve the quality of our guests' stay; we understand that people talking in the hallways late at night can be a deterrent to a good nights rest. We will work on this!

Thank you!

There are newer reviews for Courtyard Bloomington

Reviewed October 14, 2013

This really is a great property for the Bloomington/IU area. The location is top notch--you can really walk to everything except for the college athletic venues (but no hotels are really closr enough to walk to those), so bars, restuarants, & shopping can all be done by foot.

The rooms are big enough for a family of 4, & if you book a suite, those can accomodate 6 peeps with the sofa bed & a blowup-there is ample room. I have to confess that for an even better location & the use of my traveler points, we do prefer the Hilton Garden Inn, but as our family ages & grows bigger, we will now be staying here regardless as the HGI has much smaller rooms & only a couple smaller suites.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Barry V, General Manager at Courtyard Bloomington, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay here. We love that you were able to easily move about the downtown area without having to worry about parking or the new parking meters. We look forward to hosting you and your larger family in our larger rooms in the near future!

Reviewed October 3, 2013

I am a big fan of Marriott. I try to stay with them wherever I go, and I know what amenities to expect because Marriott's high standards are pretty much the same everywhere. But I was here for a conference for two nights and was not impressed. Before I go on, though, I have to emphasize the service was wonderful. All employees I interacted with were great! It was specifically my room that underwhelmed me.

If you have a choice, ask for a room that doesn't face the street. The beeping garbage truck waking me up at 5 AM was not my favorite thing. I was lucky to be housed around quiet people, because the walls are rather thin, too. I had no mini fridge to keep food and water in. For the prices this hotel commands, every room needs a mini fridge. And the tap water tasted like chlorine. At least they kept drinking water available downstairs by the front desk (the space isn't big enough to fill water bottles there, though).

I also disliked the bathroom.The tub is very rounded on the bottom and, as such, is slippery as sin. The shower curtain didn't even cover the length of the tub. The towels placed in the bathroom were scratchy to the point of hurting my skin and were practically unusable. I found out the next day by asking the housekeepers that there actually were nice, fluffy towels available (they let me take a few back to the room)...was I just not good enough to get fluffy towels in the first place?!

At first I felt like I was nit-picking at the little things that I didn't like. It wouldn't have done me any good to complain, though, since the hotel was full and the rest of the rooms were probably like mine. Marriott hotels are supposed to be a little more luxurious, and I was getting more of a Days Inn vibe. That is not what your guests are paying for. The ONLY reasons I liked staying here were the location and the great employees. The next time I come to B-town, I'm willing to stay further away from downtown for a better (and/or cheaper) room if this is all you've got.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Hello! Thank you for writing a very thoughtful review of the property. I certainly take all of the criticisms and work on solutions to make it better for your next trip here. While we focus on guest service, sometimes its the little things that can really change the idea of a great stay. As far as the beeping of the trash truck early in the morning, I have placed a service call to change the times of the pick up. I am sorry for the condition of the linen that you encountered. I will work with our linen rep and see if we are able to change the detergent levels and make them softer for you. Thank you for all of your comments; we will never be able to improve without the help of our guests.

Warm regards,

Reviewed September 25, 2013

excellent courtyard. clean, well run, friendly, and very helpful for all your needs. really a nice place to stay. A very well run Courtyard, and very close to campus. breakfast area was very clean, food was enough to get you going for breakfast, and good enough for a lunch or dinner.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for noticing our cleanliness and guest services. We talk about these two topics every day in our staff meetings! It is a great feeling to be able to report to the staff that their hard work pays off and really makes a difference for our guests!

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night on a business trip. The lobby and the location were great. Breakfast was good. Service was very good. The bed was comfortable and the amenities in the room were nice. The only draw back was the bathroom. It is in serious need of an update. Paint was peeling in the shower. Spigot continued to leak after shower was turned on. Tub was very old and a little small. Towels were some of the thinest I have seen in awhile. Used 2 just to dry off. I would probably stay again based on the location but hope they update it soon.

Room Tip: Make sure to get extra towels.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Barry V, General Manager at Courtyard Bloomington, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Thank you for staying with us during your recent trip to Bloomington! I appreciate the feedback as it is our continuous goal to improve our service and product. I appreciate that you took the time to write about your experience and we hope to serve you again when you return!

Reviewed September 7, 2013

We stayed for two nights and will return to this hotel again later this year. Service was outstanding and this was a nice Courtyard. The room was very comfortable, adequate plugs for electronics and other thoughtful touches. Very convenient location, a few blocks from the university. Adequate gym facility. Good breakfast service. It was a nice added touch to receive a thank you email from the manager staff following the stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fred200099

Thank you for the kind words! I am happy you enjoyed our customer service and our breakfast! We have passed this information to our team and were excited and re-energized! Thank you and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

The hotel was clean, convenient and had ample parking. Would like it if they had another mirror in the room instead of just the bathroom. Walls are thin though, but it got the job done. They are kind of far from campus I wish they could offer some sort of shuttle especially after dark.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends