“Way too expensive for what you're getting! Not worth the price!”

Courtyard Bloomington
Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Bloomington
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Way too expensive for what you're getting! Not worth the price!”
Reviewed March 1, 2012

The Courtyard by Marriott in Bloomington is a very nice hotel. It also has a nice conference area. The price is ridiculous though! We paid 150.00 for a room. The room was nice, but the amenities were not worth the price. You would expect to have a meal included for that price. The front desk people were friendly. Unless all of the rooms in Bloomington are sold out and this is the last available place to stay, I would suggest getting your money's worth elsewhere!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Korean first
Naperville, IL
Reviewed February 4, 2012

I stayed here with my family for one night before a visit to IU. First, I got the room on Priceline and I bid a low price and won, so for me, the room was worth the price. Priceline did not include the buffet breakfast which was ok. The location is good and the hotel is fairly clean with lots of free parking and free wireless internet. The room was comfortable and clean and had a large HD TV, better than most hotels in this price range. The staff was friendly and the bed was comfortable. I would stay here again if I win it on Priceline and possibly even if I don't (if the price isn't to high). One note is that I stayed here the Thursday before Super Bowl in Indy and there were people there who were staying and traveling to Indy. Maybe that's why all the prices in B Town were so high?

Room Tip: High floor away from elevator (as always) and get a room facing the back parking lot for less noise
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed February 1, 2012

1. No TV channel guide or hotel/city information in the room. Pretty odd for a hotel attached to the Convention Center.
2. Rooms facing College Ave. (front of hotel) are very loud. Police and/or ambulances run past hotel often during the day and night with sirens on and the windows do nothing to drown it out. You can hear every car drive by on the street and any conversations outside. If you plan on staying here, I'd advise asking for a back-facing room.
3. Room wasn't ready by 3pm on day I checked-in due to not being cleaned yet. Several other people were waiting for rooms to be cleaned to check-in also.
4. On second day I left the room at 7:30am and returned at 4pm. The room had not been touched by housekeeping. When I called the front desk, the lady said that "they got a late start and probably just haven't gotten to your room yet." She asked if I still wanted them to clean it, but I told her not at 4pm when I'm back in my room. She never even apologized.
5. Nice new large HDTV in room and bed was pretty comfortable.
6. Close to downtown businesses, restaurants.

Room Tip: Don't get one facing the front of the hotel and College Avenue!!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Noblesville, Indiana
Reviewed January 19, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this Courtyard while in Bloomington to look at houses because we're moving there next month. I put in a bid for Priceline and got this hotel which didn't receive great reviews so I was a little disappointed that I had "won" my bid.

We didn't check in until after midnight and before we left I had put in a request for a King bed which they were able to do. Ed checked us in and was friendly and in moments we were up to our room.

The room was average but was clean and even had a couch in it with a 42 inch HDTV which was awesome. Most hotels have big TV's but not HD service so that was a pleasant surprise. The Wi-Fi worked great and housekeeping was even nice enough to leave extra dirty laundry bags for us without us asking so there's a shout out to them for doing that. The shower pressure was good and the water was warm pretty much instantly.

I only had 2 issues with this hotel. The first being that if you're on the side of the hotel that faces the road it can be very loud. I had read this in reviews but wasn't worried, i usually prefer some noise when I sleep but this was a bit loud for my tastes. It was mostly road noise and College Ave seemed to be busy at all hours at night. Because I had read this in reviews I was aware thus didn't complain because really that's a design flaw of the hotel and because we checked in late I didn't want to switch rooms. Our floor seemed to be deserted so noise from other rooms was not an issue.

The other problem was that the sound on the TV wouldn't work on some channels. The picture worked fine but no sound. Our first day there I mentioned it to the front desk agent and she explained that if I unscrewed the cable from the wall for about 30 seconds and plugged it back in it should work. I did that when we returned that evening and it worked. I had to do this again each time we turned the TV off and back on again so it got a little annoying because to do this you have to move the dresser out a bit from the wall which is insanely heavy.

Overall this Courtyard is decent but as others have said, it needs some freshening up to bring it into the 2000's. New linens and paint could probably go a long way. That said the location is great, its great walking distance to IU and all the awesome restaurants in the downtown area. I'd probably stay here again but I'd never do it for full price.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing parking not, not College Ave, much more quiet.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank RockJock44
bryn mawr, pa
Reviewed December 18, 2011

No better than the average Courtyard. Was happy with the location, and the free Wi-Fi.
Bed was a touch soft for my liking, shower was plenty hot.
I feel like these Courtyards are somewhat overpriced, it is a decent basic hotel. Nothing more, nothing less.

Located right on College Ave a block or so from all the downtown hot spots.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Ventura, California
Reviewed November 21, 2011

I have never understood what is so good about Courtyards. There are so many good hotels these days, and better for the price. The stay was fine, but this somewhat dated theme is outdated. The rooms look like something from the 'early 90's. Location is downtown so that was a plus.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 21, 2011

The best thing about this hotel is the location, right on College Ave in Bloomington, close to everything. The hotel is very nice, quite up to Marriott standards. The lobby is very clean, nice tv and sitting area. The woman at the front desk was as nice and helpful as can be. If you're going to Bloomington for an event at the Convention Center, this is the hotel for you because it is literally connected to it. Our room was very nice, it smelled very perfumy but I don't know if that was the cleaning or the previous occupant. The only downside to my visit was the shower. It took a long time for the water to get hot and the water pressure was lackluster. All-in-all great stay, and I would go again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends