“It was OK-ish for the price”

Motel 6 Bloomington - Indiana University
Ranked #23 of 24 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed September 29, 2011

Stayed three nights while attending Lotus World Music and Arts Fest the weekend of 9-24-11.

After being advised by a festival official to not stay there, I spoke to the Bloomington Director of Tourism, who personally went there, spoke to the manager who showed her a room. She called me the next day and said the room was spartan but in decent shape. So we decided to give it a try.

We were first given room 211, but the a/c was a little too noisy and the room rather musty smelling. I spoke to the desk clerk(friendly and co-operative) who then gave us 212 next door. It was much better. Spartan to be sure, but clean, reasonably well maintained, and had a refrig and micro-wave. One goofy thing is that they installed a "long" style toilet and you can't close the door without first raising the seat. OK you won't find that at a Hyatt, but at $139 for 3 nights, we could live with it. The beds were comfortable enough too. Also, it's close to town and a straight shot to the business area.

A place at that price point doesn't always attract a top tier of society and things got a little noisy Saturday night when someone's car alarm kept going off for a couple hours and another person felt the need to squeal his tires on entering the premises. The other two nights were OK.

So would we stay there again? It's a measured "yes". If you plan to spend most of your time out, aren't too concerned about amenities, and only need a place to sleep, It'll get you by. But much more than that and you may want to consider another place.

What can I say? It's a Motel 6!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank caribbeancajun

Reviewed August 1, 2011

Room was clean and staff were friendly. Was offered a sexual favor for a price by a person staying in room near mine. Obviously running prostitution from that location. I will pay extra to get away from that scene next time.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank jebranson
Reviewed July 14, 2011

Wished I had forked out another $20 bucks. Made reservation 2 months ago, and when arrived was told only smoking rooms available. They came up with one, but bathroom smells moldy, bathroom molding falling off wall and wall looks wet underneath, a/c not taking moisture (or smell) out of air, bed and pillow hard. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!! definately less than desirable. Needs torn down and start over. New bathroom sink nice - now gut the rest. I am stuck

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Cheapskate57
Reviewed January 5, 2011

After I had returned from staying at this fleabag flophouse, I received a phone call from one of its employees, asking me if I had left a silver necklace (with a crucifix) in the room. Apparently, one of the staff found it when cleaning up. I realized I had, and asked them to hold it for me until the following Saturday.

When Saturday proved impossible, I called back and spoke to the manager. She advised me that it was their policy that if property was found in a guest's room, staff are not to tell the owner of the property. She informed me that when I asked the employee details about the necklace, the employee had violated hotel rules by revealing anything.

In other words, they intended to keep my property, even after it had been turned over to their lost and found!

Stay there at your own risk. If you must stay there, then be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN you leave with ALL of your property!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Todd_the_Tourist
Reviewed November 15, 2010

This is the dirtiest motel I have ever been in. The carpet looked like something out of CSI. Thanks God we did not have a blue light! Bathroom was filthy, sheets weren't clean, sink was stopped up. And we were itchy the next day!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 11, 2010

To start, when we got to our rooms, we noticed that there wasn't an alarm clock, table, or extra chairs. We thought this was a random occurrence with our room, but the other 2 rooms that our family had, they were also missing their alarm clock, table and chairs. We only had 3 towels in our room, even after we told them there would be 4 people staying in the room. The bathroom was disgusting. The tub/shower didn't have anything for a handle or grip on the floor. Very dangerous!!!!! Our family met in Bloomington for the Iowa-Indiana game as a little "reunion." We called the front desk and asked if we could get a table and chairs to play cards and were told that they are in the middle of renovating the rooms. We thought that was bogus. Apparently the alarm clocks were a major part of the renovations as well and couldn't have one. When we returned from the game, the locks had been changed on 2 of our 3 rooms. Our room wasn't made up and we had to go request more clean towels. I will say it was a great location for the football game and it had good coffee in the mornings. But not good enough for us to ever go back.

• Stayed: November 2010
1  Thank jonesie59
Reviewed October 23, 2010

It was almost the only room left in town, so we tried to ignore the wretched smell and the filthy carpet, but when we pulled back the sheets and noticed the wet spots on the pillow and sheet that was the last straw. We would rather sleep in the car. Fortunately, we were able to reach an unsuspecting relative and sleep on their sofa.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends