“Great Staycation”

Fourwinds Lakeside Inn & Marina
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed August 7, 2014

My wife and I took our three kids (12, 18, and 21) to the FourWinds Resort based upon their staycation promotional offer of three nights for $199 total for a garden view room and $99 additional for a lake view room. We got two rooms: one Lakeview and one Garden View. Please note that garden view is actually parking lot view. Our total cost for two rooms for three nights was less than $600 (excluding food, drinks and lake activities)

Pros: cost (staycation Sunday through Thursday), location, beauty of the lake and surroundings, Lake View room, friendliness and courtesy of staff in the hotel and Marina/boat rental, casual food in Windjammer restaurant, golf at Eagle Pointe ($25 includes cart), accessibility, and proximity to more restaurants and things to do in Bloomington Indiana. Overall it was a great getaway.

Cons: one specific housekeeper was very rude (she obviously dislikes her job), lack of cleanliness in common areas including fitness room and pool, windows and cleanliness near NON-main entrances were severely lacking and outside of lake-related activities there was little to do at the hotel.

I attended nearby Indiana University 30 years ago when this resort was in its heyday. It slowly declined over the years and is now experiencing a resurgence due to recent remodeling and upgrading and the promotion of the hotel through its staycation promotion. It is really a hidden little gem. My hope is that they will expand the activities to attract families, offer more dining options, and maybe higher someone dedicated to creating and promoting fun, family events each day and night to expand things to do at the resort. The beauty of the lake is tremendous and the staff at the marina could not be more friendly.

I would definitely recommend that FourWinds pay very close daily attention to cleanliness as I see that being an issue if they don't. Likewise, I would caution staff to remain friendly at all times.

We look forward to returning.

Room Tip: It is worth it to spend the extra money for a Lakeview room
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank jkirsh444
Tony S, General Manager at Fourwinds Lakeside Inn & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2014

Thank you for the 4 star review.

Our Staycation promotion has been very successful and it was designed for families just like yours.

Please accept my sincerest apology for any inconvenience we may have caused you during your stay. Rudeness to a guest is unacceptable and I only wish that something like this was brought to our attention as soon as it happened, so that it could be handled immediately. I regularly receive praises and compliments about our staff, so I do regret that one of our associates used poor judgment in her actions towards you. I have investigated the cleanliness issue you are referring too, and the matter is being addressed.

Regarding your comment about restaurants, we do offer two, however one is only available daily for breakfast and for dinner Thursday - Sunday. Due to the success of the Staycation promotion, we have considered opening on Wednesday next year offering a family buffet.

As for activities, the resort offers a heated indoor/outdoor pool, mini-golf, tennis, basketball, hiking trails, fishing, a private beach, a large fleet of rental boats, that include a hobie cat and wave runners, along with a selection of board games for the entire family. We will also be adding corn hole Septembers 1st. I am open to suggestions and recommendations as well.

I would be a pleasure to welcome you and your family back to the resort!

There are newer reviews for Fourwinds Lakeside Inn & Marina

Reviewed August 5, 2014

My husband and I chose to stay at this hotel, because it had good reviews on Trip Advisor and it was close to the condo where our friends' were staying. We arrived to a seriously understaffed hotel.
We arrived at 2:30 and the front desk informed us that our room would be ready by 4:00. We went to the restaurant to pass the time and found that even though it was almost empty, there was a large line of people waiting to be seated. We opted to sit at the bar and avoid the wait. A young man walked behind the bar and even spoke with one patron, but he never acknowledged us. After a good ten minutes, a female bartender, i believe a manager, arrived and informed us that the previous young man was just a server. I was curious to know whom he was serving, since that same line of people, now very agitated, still had not been seated and the dining room was still next to empty. Once we were finally waited on, the service was friendly and our drinks were served in a reasonable amount of time.
We returned to the front desk at 4 o'clock and our room was still not available. There were several other people waiting for rooms as well. We finally were assigned a room at 4:20, but while waiting, there was a situation with a guest that should have been handled by a manager. The guest asked to speak with manager, Tony, but was informed that Tony wasn't working. The desk clerk did contact the manager on duty, but the manager did not come to the front desk.
We have no complaints about our specific room, it overlooked the water and was clean and quiet. However, the first morning we left the hotel at 9:00 and returned at 4:00 to a room that had not been cleaned. We left for dinner and asked the front desk to please have our room cleaned while we were gone. We returned over two hours later to a still untouched room.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review.

It appears that you did not experience the quality service that the resorts reputation is built on. I regret the delay and confusion in you being served properly and efficiently from the time you walked in the room.

There is no excuse for your room not being serviced while you were out during the day. I am embarrassed that you had to experience this as well.

Please reach out to me the next time you are planning a visit to Bloomington, as it would be my pleasure to personally arrange your accommodations as our guest.

Kind regards,

Reviewed August 3, 2014

We needed a mini getaway and my husband suggested Fourwinds. We wanted something low key and relaxing for us and our two little girls. We couldn't get enough of the indoor/outdoor pool. Michael at the front desk was more that happy to help with any of our needs and we really appreciated his customer service. I had read some reviews on here before booking and was not sure what kind of customer service we would receive. We were pleased with our experience and stay at the Fourwinds and look forward to another stay.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Tony S, General Manager at Fourwinds Lakeside Inn & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2014

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for the 4 star review. I am also grateful that you looked beyond a few of our unfavorable reviews and experienced the resort for yourself, which resulted in an enjoyable visit. Our efforts are always geared toward providing a quality product and service to all of our guest. Thank you for also recognizing one of our front desk associates, Michael. who is actually an intern, and will be joining our team permanently in September. He has learned and displays the true meaning of service.

I will look forward to the pleasure in welcoming you and your family back again soon.

Reviewed August 3, 2014

It seems like very seldom are you "wow'd" anymore when you stay at a hotel. That is not the case at Fourwinds Resort & Marina in Bloomington, In. Everyone at the hotel, restaurant, and marina were top notch and made our anniversary stay a first class experience. The general manager Tony Suttile, was available and handled everything perfectly. When at the restaurant ask for Chloe, she is the best!!!

Room Tip: Love the rooms that face the lake! Great views!!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

HI Doug,

Thank you for the 5 star review. I am delighted that you and your family had such an enjoyable stay in celebrating your anniversary. It was indeed a pleasure to have you as our guest. Thank you also for recognizing, Chloe, one of our food & beverage associates. She truly understands the meaning of providing personal service and a positive guest experience.

I will look forward to talking with you again and to assist with the arrangements for this annual gathering.

Kind regards,

Reviewed August 1, 2014

My husband and I spent our first weekend at the Fourwinds Resort and were pleasantly surprised. The resort had a nice indoor/outdoor pool area, a private beach, fitness center, miniature golf, tennis courts, a basketball court, and two restaurants. The landscape was pretty. The room was nice, but the walls were thin and we could hear others, and the bathroom was a little small for two to get ready at at time; this may seem funny, but we really did enjoy the bar of soap provided in the bathroom-it actually lathered up unlike at other hotels! The staff at the front desk was very helpful; one night I was itching to go out for dessert, and the staff kept checking for places on the computer until a place was found, and on another day, we were waiting for cookies to be made (yes, they have those in the afternoon at the front desk!), and a staff member saw us waiting and brought some right to us special right out of the oven. Outside there was a nice trail for walking called the Oak Tree Trail; we would consider it moderate in difficulty because there were a couple of inclines and is about 1 3/4 miles which could be walked in about 45 minutes. There was also a small trail around the lake accessible by the public beach. Finally, there was a marina; even though we did not use it, others were and seemed to enjoy it. Overall, this is a nice resort to spend a weekend.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Tony S, General Manager at Fourwinds Lakeside Inn & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2014

HI Mary,

Thank you for the 4 star review. I am delighted to read how much you and your family enjoyed your recent visit to our resort. It seems you were able to take advantage of several of our resort amenities.

It is also a pleasure to read how the staff assisted you with your dessert craving. Personal service and a positive guest experience is our foundation for continued success and growth.

I will look forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon. If you let me know when your arriving, I'll double up on the soap!

Reviewed August 1, 2014

I had family visiting from abroad and we decided to go to Lake Monroe on a random weekday. They had heard so much about lake Monroe from me that they wanted to spend sometime by the lake. We never really planned on renting a boat and were randomly walking by the marina when Heath spotted us. He was kind enough to give my family a quick tour of the lake. He even took time e explaining to them the history of when the lake was made, the different boats that they offer as rentals, and the whole boating culture. He was very polite and courteous and kept us engaged the whole time. What really impressed me is that he did all this during after hours (since the marina was already shut and he was about to go home)! My family will be visiting soon again and have requested that i rent a boat and we spend an afternoon on the lake. So great people make great businesses! Thanks Heath!

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for your review.

I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed your time at the resort. Also, thank you for recognizing one of our associates, Heath. He is a true example in providing personal service that
creates a positive resort experience. I will look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed July 28, 2014

I've stayed here and had a boat here for 15 years off and on. The update to the hotel and pool is very good. The bartender with the glasses (Josh, I think) was great. The rooms are much better than before. Will be back.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Tony S, General Manager at Fourwinds Lakeside Inn & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2014

Thank you for your review. I glad to read how much you appreciate the resorts renovations.

The bartender's name is actually Al. He is an asset to our operation and success. Thank you for recognizing him. He is a pro behind the bar.

I will look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bloomington
Hyatt Place Bloomington Indiana
Comfort Inn Bloomington
Comfort Inn Bloomington
#9 of 24 in Bloomington
Homewood Suites by Hilton Bloomington

Been to Fourwinds Lakeside Inn & Marina? Share your experiences!