“Enjoyed the lunch buffet!”

Samira's Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 355 Restaurants in Bloomington
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: N. Walnut St.
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stumbled onto this restaurant while wandering downtown Bloomington at lunchtime. We thought we would be getting middle-eastern food from what we could tell from the outside of the restaurant and decided to give it a try. Once inside we realized it was a buffet (though you could order from the menu if preferred) and obviously a popular one. The quality of the food was excellent! The buffet is not huge, but every item was well prepared, tasty, and fresh. Loved the hummus appetizer delivered to our table, and having baklava for dessert. In terms of completeness (start to finish), this was one of the nicest buffets of this nature that I have had, and quite reasonable too. I found the food to be a cross between Indian and middle-eastern (not being familiar with Afghan cuisine). If you like either, you will enjoy this restaurant. I would definitely return when in Bloomington.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Having never had Afghan food I did not know what to order. Our server suggested the combination kebab dinner which came with a little it of everything on the menu. We also has hummus and baba ganoush. Everything was fantastic. Will definitely visit again.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

This place has the best lentil soup on the planet. The meat was very good, but the vegetable dishes were the star of the show - they just exploded with flavor. We'll be back.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

This has been one of my friends' favorite places a while ago. Visiting Bloomington for a short stay, I was searching for a good restaurant online and this came out. Reading all positive reviews, we decided to try their lunch buffet. Overall the ambience was not bad but not good either. Tables were set a bit crowded and the hall was quite noisy though it was less than a half full during the peak lunch time. I should say I hated those cheap paper napkins. Service was not attentive at all... No one picked up plates from our table. The house-baked bread was brick -hard and food seemed to be a bit greasy. Only, stewed okra was fine. Driving back to the hotel, very disappointed and with uncomfortable feeling in the stomach, I called my friend. She said she doesn't go to Samira's anymore. Cannot understand why this place was rated so high.

1  Thank Nora J
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Just returned from IU orientation with my daughter. We had dinner at Samira after reading many positive reviews. I had the lamb Kabob and my daughter had the chicken/shrimp combo. Both were excellent. My daughter tried their version of caprese salad, which was disappointing. The mozzarella was hard and flavorless. They served a thin sliced grilled eggplant that was garlicy and spicy that was truly amazing. My next trip to Samira I want to explore their extensive vegetarian dishes.