“Awesome”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

This is one of the best hotels I have stayed in to date. It's very clean, and the staff is incredibly helpful. I was there for 5 days, and really enjoyed it. I found the city of Bloomington to be a fantastic place as well. The streets are clean, and people seemed to really care about how their homes. The hotel is right in the college/downtown area so there are a lot of great restaurants and shops within walking distance. I really hope to get back some day, and if I do I will be staying here.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank UncleSparky1970
MikeCampbell, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Bloomington, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
Thank you! We're so glad you had such a great time and we're glad you chose us to be a part of your Bloomington experience. Downtown Bloomington is just as you describe it and it will soon have two different wine tasting rooms right on the square just a block away from the hotel! Please come back to visit us soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2012

Located only one block away from the Courthouse Square with many fine restaurants nearby, this multi story hotel is squeaky clean, with a helpful and friendly staff. The parking is also close by with easy and unlimited in and out. Room rates zoom upward during graduation and one must reserve at least nine months or more in advance. We plan to stay there again at more affordable rates.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor, if possible, to minimize the noise from the lively student hangouts on the st...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mrvoce
MikeCampbell, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Bloomington, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
Thank you for you kind words. Bloomington has such a great walkable downtown! We strive to provide a clean and friendly stay every time and it's great to hear we delivered on those expectations. We look forward to seeing you back in town very soon!
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

We always try to stay here when in town visiting our son at IU. The rooms are clean, the housekeeping is excellent and there is very convenient parking. The beds are a bit flimsy. One big complaint: beware during graduation. They will charge an outrageous price with a three night minimum, simply because they can.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
MikeCampbell, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Bloomington, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay with us whenever you are in town! We strive to provide a clean, comfortable environment with friendly and helpful service each time. I'm glad that is what you have consistantly experienced each time you've stayed with us. IU Spring Graduation is at a premium rate with length of stay requirements throughout Bloomington and our rates are higher as well. In addition to being downtown and walkable to many of Bloomington's best restaurants the hotel does provide some additional services for this special weekend.
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012

Comparable to other Hilton garden inns I have stayed in. The pool is very small but adequate, same with the fitness area. The room was very comfortablea and quiet, but I recommend to ask for a room higher than the first floor as the hotel lies off of college ave which is the main thorough fare in Bloomington. Also, the restaurant on the first floor is sub par and overpriced. If you want pub food/ sports bar walk down the street to Scotty's.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am glad your stay was both comfortable and our staff was friendly and helpful. I will pass along your comments to the restaurant manager. Pricing with Scotty's and other area eateries has been comparable and the food quality has generally been hot and fresh so I am suprised that wasn't what you experienced. I'll find out. Thank you!
Angola, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012

Efficient check -in. Great restaurant choices. Clean rooms. Super location. Safe Environment.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
MikeCampbell, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Bloomington, responded to this review, April 28, 2012
Thank you for taking a few moments to tell about your stay! Bloomington is a great, walkable city and fortunately the HGI is right in the heart of it all. I'm happy to hear our team members were such great ambassadors for the city and that your time with us was comfortable and friendly. Please come see us again real soon!!
St. Louis, MO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2012

This is a very nice hotel -- much what you'd expect of any of the Hilton hotels. My room was good-sized, clean and nicely decorated with a fantastically comfortable bed. The staff was friendly and helpful at check-in, and the entire experience was very pleasant. It did get a bit noisy outside the hotel (are there motorcycle gangs in central Indiana? It sounded that way...) -- but my room was right by the main elevator and I never heard it or any other noises from within the hotel itself. I'll echo a previous review that mentioned the somewhat confusing access to the hotel parking, but once I figured it out, it wasn't bad. I'd for sure recommend the Hilton Garden to anyone who is visiting the University of Indiana!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
MikeCampbell, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Bloomington, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your stay with us in Bloomington. I'm pleased to hear the staff was friendly and attentive. That your room was both comfortable and clean. Being downtown there is some ambient noise that will sometimes filter to the guestrooms particularly if there is a motorcycle rally! I am sorry that it impacted your stay with us. Bloomington is such a great town and I'm glad you came away with such a great impression.
Southern Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2012

We decided to take a mini vacation and headed to "B-town" to stay on the Hilton Honors Rewards points my husband had accumulated. The hotel was easy to spot with great signage on the building and the parking garage could be seen from the street. What we didn't realize at first was that we were going to have to travel a block and a half to find the entrance. We took our parking "ticket" in with us and were able to exchange it for a parking pass that would allow us to come and go as we pleased without having to pay each time. The total parking charge as a guest was only $5.00 which was great! The card had to be swiped both to enter and to leave the garage. When we scanned it to leave the last time, we were instructed to insert the card into a box next to the swipe machine.

Entering the hotel was the only complaint I have about the property. We had to take the parking garage elevator to the ground level, leave the garage, go through a courtyard, into the hotel, and then up in the hotel elevator to the lobby. Another guest arriving the same time as us did not read the signage (neither did my husband), so I was the only one who knew we had to go up to the next level. 1 out of 3 of us caught it. Those aren't great odds.

We were greeted by a friendly young lady whose computer was frozen, so we waited until the other guest had checked in. We were given the option of 2 cold bottles of water or 750 bonus points as Hilton Honors Gold members. There was a mini convenience store (frozen meals, ice cream, cold drinks) there in the lobby though I'm not sure what kinds of prices were on anything.

The young lady who checked us in was very friendly - not over the top - just very genuine. I would hire her in an instant! She was perfect for the job! Very gracious and welcoming. Her only blunder was sending us to the dreaded elevator for another excursion. Our room was #104. Because she sent us to the elevator, we assumed we would go back to ground level where we entered from the parking garage. Unfortunately, we were wrong. Another hotel employee happened to be downstairs and very kindly instructed us that we had to go back through the lobby. There were about 6 rooms behind the front desk and ours was one of them. When the one who checked us in saw us coming, she realized her mistake and was very apologetic.

The door to get into the room was EXTREMELY heavy. The room was a nice size, had a refrigerator & microwave, and another thing that caught my attention was a very comfortable desk chair. The room was clean and smoke free. One thing I thought might be a drawback was staying on street level. The noise didn't bother me. I only recall hearing two things which, thankfully, were during morning hours. The beds were very comfortable and had controls on them to adjust whether you preferred a firm or softer bed.

We visited the pool and hot tub and found the pool to be too cold and the hot tub to be too hot. The area looked nice, but I felt like both the pool and hot tub were kind of dirty. The jets on the hot tub were not very effective. There was no massaging effect. It seems they were only there to move the water around.

Windows separated the pool and the "gym". I noticed free weights, treadmill, bike, & elliptical machines. There were several of each. Laundry facility was just outside the doors to the gym & pool areas.

When we came in from walking around the downtown area, we found cookies and fruited water waiting for us in the lobby. That was a nice treat!

I fell ill during the night and skipped out of breakfast, but my son and husband really enjoyed it. There were many options available and omelettes were cooked to order. Breakfast was served from 6-10am, and because he went at 9:30, my son got the last few pancakes available on the bar. They were dry and tough and couldn't be cut with a fork. The breakfast attendant saw the food going to waste and asked if something was wrong. When they demonstrated for her what the problem was, she went to the egg chef who then prepared him fresh pancakes even though he was already cleaning up his station.

The breakfast selection included omelettes, pancakes, waffles, sausage, bacon, toast, oatmeal, fresh fruit, flavored teas, and coffee.

The location was fantastic for walking around downtown. There are many great restaurants within walking distance. We tried Graizie (Italian) and The Irish Lion (Irish, obviously). We have also heard great things about Malibu Grill.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank singin_praise
MikeCampbell, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Bloomington, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
Thank you for your detailed review of our facilities. I will pass along your very positive comments to the staff. I will touch base with the manager at the city operated garage to see if we can do some more effective signage. Thank you again and we hope to see you in Bloomington very soon!