“Disappointed with the stay”

Hilton Garden Inn Bloomington
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Bloomington
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 29, 2012

I always stay at this hotel when visiting my son at Indiana University and it is usually very good. However, when I checked in I noticed a foul smell in the hallway leading to my room. The front desk told me that the town was performing work on sewage pipes just outside the hotel and the smell should be gne in a few hours. Later, when I returned to my hotel, the smell of cigarette smoke was very strong in the hallway as well. The next morning, the lock on my door didn't work and they had to pick the lock to my room in order for me to get back in. For my troubles, the front desk told me that they will add additional Hilton points onto my account. That's not what I want!!! For over$200 for one night, they should have credited my account for all of these issues.

• Stayed: February 2012
MikeCampbell, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Bloomington, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2012

I apologize that this impacted your stay. The City of Bloomington was doing some emergency sewer repair during your stay and the downtown did smell horrible for a couple of hours. As for the door lock I have spoken with the maintienace department so that we ensure that problems like this don't occur in the future. Thank you again for letting us know.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

This hotel is in a very convenient location and the common areas are inviting, but the rooms are tired and in need of an update. Note that "Evolution Rooms" are no different than the rest of the rooms. I was hoping that this designation meant that the room had been updated, but I was told by the front staff that initially that was a way to differentiate rooms that had newer beds but now all the rooms have the same updated (?) beds. The bathrooms appear updated and are clean so that's a big plus. I agree with previous reviewers who commented that rates are all over the place. I just stayed there and had a room at the front of the hotel on College - luckily, I was able to keep the fan on all night to hide the noise. Having said all this, I will stay at the Hilton Garden Inn again. All things considered, the convenience wins out ...

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Most importantly, this is a clean and dependable hotel with a great Smallwood location. Likewise, the hotel offers paid parking in an adjacent lot and the breakfast offered is always good quality (with friendly attentive service and the nicest woman in Bloomington making fresh eggs, omelettes and waffles with a great big smile). But serious issues here include rates which are all over the map and often ridiculously jacked up when they can take advantage of their patrons and that leaves a bad taste for Hilton Diamond customers (including myself) who then end up forced to other hotels. Likewise, a room in the front can leave you bleary eyed in the morning with consent emergency vehicles, sirens blaring, passing the hotel. Even rear located rooms can be noisy. Also, the elevators here can be very slow, and on several locations, only one of the two operated, which meant extended waiting. Since the hotel cannot control the outside noise, we cannot blame them for that issue, but the game playing with the rates does hurt, and for that reason, while we come to Bloomington on a fairly regular basis, we often stay elsewhere, even when we can get rooms at the lower rates, because this hotel simply does not work to consistently earn our business.

Room Tip: Careful in checking to ensure your rate is the best they can offer. They play games. And ask for a r...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 18, 2012

I like Hilton Garden Inns but this one is just slightly dated and I'd hazard is older than most. Rate was very reasonable though and staff were freindly

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 31, 2011

We love this hotel.

They put out fresh coffee in the morning, cookies in the evening.

The sauna and pool are clean (and almost always empty).

The rooms are clean and the staff is friendly.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We loved this hotel. Great breakfasts! Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed November 18, 2011

I wrote already a review about that place but I cannot enough tell how amazed I am about the behavior of the staffs there. I had to extend my stay as usually and even when the hotel was pretty booked, the front desk made it happen with an attitude that is hard to find around hotels. Especially I want to thanks Kate and Nikita that were very helpful and the very good knowledge of Kate about that business made it actually happen to be able to stay there. Just amazing how they both treat they customers in a very nice and calm manner. Thank you very much.

• Stayed: October 2011