“Very modern and chic”

Holiday Inn Express Bloomington
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed August 20, 2010

My daughter and I stayed for a night while attending her orientation for Indiana University. This hotel is very beautiful inside, very Tuscan theme. It's all new or renovated, I'm not sure which. The room was spacious and comfortable. My daugher was even impressed. We enjoyed the breakfast the next morning, and it was just average. All and all, it was a great choice for our purpose of being there. The location is a little difficult to get to.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
marilyn1714, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bloomington, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2010

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review after your recent stay at our Holiday Inn Express, Bloomington IN. We are very pleased that you chose our hotel while in town for your daughter's orientation, and that you enjoyed the accommodations and the service that you received. We hope that when you visit your daughter during her time at Indiana University, you will stay with us again at the Holiday Inn Express, we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed August 10, 2010

Stayed 2 nights from 8 to 9 August 2010. Convenient location to major roads and approximately 10 minute drive to Indiana University campus. There is significant road construction, so you should expect delays.

Tried to check in at 3pm (check-in time) on 8 August, but my room was not ready. They asked that I return in a couple of hours. At that time, I visited the men’s room near the lobby. It was dirty and made a bad impression. Checked out at approximately 8:45am on 9 Aug, and the lobby restroom was in the same condition.

Had a room on the 4th floor facing the back side of the hotel, so there was no road noise. There were a couple places that needed to be vacuumed. Same places were missed on the second day of my stay. Notepad on desk had a message from previous guest—“housekeeping: please vacuum, thanks”, so it appears to be a pattern. Nightstand and dresser had large areas that were covered with dust.

Late on the first night and into my second day, the air conditioner stopped working. Had to ask housekeeping to reset—literally unplugging and plugging in the air conditioner. There was also long blond hairs on the bathroom floor, bathroom counter, and bathtub. I have short black hair.

As I walked thru the lobby and rode the elevator, there was a strong lingering body odor smell. Crowded hotel, so I assumed it was a guest. It turned out to be a male employee, assume he was part of the housekeeping staff. Encountered him on both days of my stay. Yes, I live in the real world, and it happens. If it is obvious to me, it should be obvious to other guests and especially his manager.

One of the 2 elevators broke down during my stay. Sorry to focus on the negative issues. Everything else about the hotel was fine. This is the “slow” time of the year before the Indiana University school year starts. If they have housekeeping issues now, what would it be like during a big football / basketball / move-in / move-out / graduation weekend?

A grocery store, gas stations, movie theater, and variety of fast food establishments are just across the highway. Plenty of parking, free breakfast (which I did not eat), and free WiFi (strong and stable).

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
marilyn1714, Owner at Holiday Inn Express Bloomington, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2010

We truly appreciate you taking the time to post a review after your recent stay at our Holiday Inn Express in Bloomington, IN. Please allow me to sincerely apologize for the poor housekeeping service that you experienced during your stay. Guest comments are an excellent training tool, and you can be certain that your comments were reveiwed during our most recent staff meeting and that procedures are in place to make sure that the mistakes we made are not repeated.
Should your travels bring you back to the Bloomington area, we hope that you will give us another chance, and stay with us again at the Holiday Inn Express.

Most sincerely,

Reviewed May 19, 2010

We arrived tired and in desperate need of a comfy bed for the night, and as promised by the receptionist, that was exactly what we got! Breakfast was buffet style and plenty for all. We also received a discount for the Texas roadhouse across the road which is worth a visit.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
marilyn1714, Owner at Holiday Inn Express Bloomington, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2010

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to post a review after your recent stay at our Holiday Inn Express, Bloomington, IN. We are pleased that you enjoyed your accomodations and found the staff friendly and helpful.

Should your travels bring you back to the Bloomington area, we hope that you will once again choose the Holiday Inn Express.

Reviewed April 4, 2010

Convenient to Bloomington - just off the highway. Stayed two noghts - no problems to report.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
marilyn1714, owner, revenue manager at Holiday Inn Express Bloomington, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to post a review after your recent stay at our Holiday Inn Express. We are pleased that you found your accommodations comfortable and that you enjoyed your stay.

Please note that in addition to a complimentarhy hot breakfast buffet, we also offer a Manager's Reception weeknights, featuring complimentary drinks and appetizers.

We hope that you will stay with us again when your travels bring you back to the Bloomington area.

Revenue Manager

Reviewed March 4, 2010

It was clean and the rooms were nice but a little far away from campus. This probably won't be a problem for parents, but it can be hard to get a cab late on the weekends. But its what youd expect from a Holiday Inn express. breakfast too. Good Stay. Nice People.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of our hotel after your recent visit.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your accommodations and the service you received. On your next visit, please note that in addition to our hot buffet breakfast, we also offer a complimentary Manager's Reception on weeknights featuring drinks and a variety of appetizers.

We hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the Bloomington area.

Revenue Manager

Reviewed January 12, 2010

We stayed in this hotel before our visit to Indiana University. The rooms were very clean and the beds very comfortable. The weather was terrible and we drove here from the middle of Michigan and it took us 9 hours to drive what should have been 5.5 hours. We arrrived at 12:30 a.m. to a very friendly lady at the front desk. I wish all front desk employees were like her. After telling her about our exhaustive trip we asked if we could use the pool and she said it closed at 11 but since we had just gotten in from such a long drive she told us to go ahead and use it. Boy what a shock we got when we got to the pool, it was freezing cold (just what we wanted to do climb in a freezing pool after we had been in driving in subzero temperatures for the last 9 hours) so we just used the spa which was very warm. My daughter did get in the pool for about 5 minutes but about froze to death so she got out and got in the hot tub which in turn made her sick going from freezing cold to hot!!! But my biggest complaint was after we arrived home, I checked my credit card only to find that the hotel had held up $115 worth of pending charges on the first day of our stay and $124 on the second day of our stay (which was actually the day we checked out) and I had paid cash for the nights stay. There was no reason to hold that on our card and I had to make several calls to get them to finally get it straightened out. They did finally get the pending charges off our card but it took from fri untl the following tues to finally get it off of my card. Botton line was I paid CASH for the room and these holds should have never been placed on our card. Room was great but watch for unnesscesary holds on your credit card!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Pattycakes1
Reviewed December 20, 2009

We've been back to Bloomington several times over the past couple of years since our son is going to school at IU. This trip was different because he was moving to a new apartment. We decided to try a different hotel that was closer to his new apartment, thinking that would be more convenient.

What a nightmare! After arriving exhausted from the 12-hour drive, we checked in and the place was just a disaster. Everything looked very used, so that even though it looked like the cleaning crew had tried to clean, there's a point where things are so old that no amount of cleaning is going to help! Each bed had many thin worn pillows that probably wouldn't add up to one useful pillow. The linens, carpet and bathroom just looked dirty and dingy. My son called with more bad news. His new apartment (which he had already agreed to delay his move-in time) was not only not ready - it was totally trashed! We were so tired, hungry and discouraged and my husband was ready to blow a major fuse. Everyone left to go get luggage so I quickly called the Holiday Inn and basically begged for help!

NOTE: The night desk person at this original hotel cancelled the reservation without charging us. He was friendly and understanding - the one bright spot in the place!

My family came back dragging in luggage and I told them to turn right back because I had checked out. My husband was suspicious and didn't believe this night could possibly be salvaged. OMG! What a wonderful reception the manager gave me! She immediately told me to bring my tired family right over! We were back in familiar surroundings and she took time from her busy activities to listen to our sad tales of crummy hotel rooms and trashed new apartments. She immediately offered to round up phone numbers to help with the apartment lease agreements and the next morning, the morning clerk had the numbers ready - and even this second representative went far above and beyond by helping us locate IU contacts who might be appropriate resources for our son.

Our kids were thrilled to have the use of the wonderful pool area and you can't believe what a relief it was after so much disappointment - to feel like we had come "home" to the Holiday Inn Express.

Congratulations to the Holiday Inn for great accomodations - but even more important - for having such a wonderful staff! They are The Best!!

Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business