“Bad hotel -- but it may be better than nothing”

Holiday Inn Express Bloomington
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed October 25, 2009

This hotel looks nice, but it is not nice. It is at the very low end of its type. The room smelled bad from stale air. There are no rooms in the hotel with windows that open. You have no temperature control on the AC and it is freezing. If you turn the system to fan, it barely moves the stagnant air. Shower was extremely difficult to set, which was particularly unfortunate since the hot was scalding. My alarm clock didn't work. It's near some chain restaurants and a shopping center. I don't think there are many other options in the area. If you can, you might want to consider something closer to Indianapolis .... I would never ever stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed October 8, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for the IU vs. OSU game. Other than jacking the price for the weekend and a two-night minimum, the hotel was clean, rooms were nice and spacious and the breakfast buffet was fine. About a 10 minute drive to the IU campus with some nearby shopping including TJ Maxx and Old Navy. Good location to stay if you're going to a game.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2009

I asked for room with a King bed and they put me in a handicap room. That meant a bigger room and bathroom! Good location, friendly staff, clean rooms/bathrooms. The breakfast is good for a holiday inn express. To be honest it was better than the breakfast we had at Golden Corral right across the street.

The staff also went beyond the call of duty in my opinion. I wanted to print my boarding passes the night before but the door to the business office wasn't working so the person on duty opened her office and let us use her computer and printer.

I would recommend this place to anyone staying in Bloomington.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2009

Stayed here for 2 nights after trying the Courtyard by Marriott and hating it. Holiday Inn Express had a big room with king size bed and sofa. All was clean and comfy. Staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast had good variety. Across the street from several restaurants including a McDonalds and Texas Roadhouse.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2009

Had a great stay. Restaurants are very close. Hotel employees were very kind and helpful. Continental breakfast was wonderful- had lots of variety. Our room was clean and bed was comfy.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2009

Everything about this hotel is good. The room was clean and quiet. It is easy to get to. There is some construction going on around it but other than that no problems. Across the highway are stores, places to eat, etc. We used hotwire to book the room. Once again hotwire let us down and booked a single instead of a double but the lady at the desk was very helpful and fixed things for us. I am going back to Bloomington next week for business and I have already booked a room in this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed December 31, 2008

Things did not go well in our one stay at the hotel. I booked online and got a great rate through the Holiday Inn website. We checked in quickly and were given our keys when we arrived in Bloomington but we didn't go to our room right then since we were on a tight schedule with family plans.

We got back to the hotel around 11:00 p.m. and went straight to our room only to find that our key wouldn't work. I left my husband standing with the luggage and headed back to the front desk. The woman at the desk apologized, said that happened frequently, sent me back with a new key card. Same thing happened when we tried that card. So back to the desk I go again.

The front desk clerk started to give me another key, then hesitated, and asked me if there was someone in that room. I looked at her and very strongly told her that it was her job to know that, not mine. About that time my phone rings and it's my husband saying he hears voices in the room. The clerk disappears to a back office and leaves me standing. Finally I ask loudly if someone would come out and tell me what was going on.

The clerk returns but keeps going back to talk to a manager. They double booked the room (obviously) and they were trying to find a comparable room to give us. We had a king room with a jaccuzi and there were no more available, but they were going to throw in a free movie!

I asked to see the manager immediately and it's the same lady that had checked me in that morning. I told her that a free movie wasn't acceptable for what we were going through and that we needed the room discounted - this had drug on for 45 minutes at this point. She said she couldn't do that because the website shouldn't have had that low price listed in the first place! I told her that wasn't my problem and that I would report them to the better business bureau if she didn't do something. She kept babbling about the free movie!

Finally she said she would give us an upgrade in the room at no charge - I told her that we would take the room but only if she dropped the rate we were paying for the incovenience. She did finally do that, still muttering that the website should never had the room at that rate. I checked the website when we got home that evening and that rate was the same, as well as the next weekend.

Breakfast was mediocre at best. The room was good once we got in it, that was what kept me from giving this the lowest rating possible.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple