“Excellent location, good value, nice hotel”

SpringHill Suites Bloomington
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed August 5, 2014

The Springhill Suites in Bloomington made visiting IU with a prospective student perfect. The location was great putting us in walking distance to a wide variety of dining options and local hangouts. The hotel has a convenient lower level parking garage. The staff couldn't have been more helpful. The IU student at the front desk helped us get our bearings and suggested restaurants for dinner. She even answered a few questions about the school for us. The room was clean, beds comfortable, good lighting, good water pressure and nice desk/sitting area with free wifi. Breakfast was included however we did not have time to stop by. If in Bloomington again, Springhill will be our first choice for a hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014
SHSBloomington, Front Office Manager at SpringHill Suites Bloomington, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2014

I am absolutely thrilled to read your review of our new hotel. I am glad to see you enjoyed our suites, location, and most importantly, our staff service. Our associates genuinely care about our guests and I'm glad that this made an impact on your stay. Please visit us on your next trip to Bloomington!

Reviewed August 3, 2014

Our suite was absolutely wonderful, and incredibly clean. The staff was super friendly, and helpful. Breakfast was included, and was much better than most "included breakfasts" we have experienced while traveling. It was a bit pricy for me, but no more pricy than other comparable hotels in Bloomington. The bathroom had a wonderful shower, and the lighted mirror was nice. It may seem small, but there was an automatic night light that came on in the bathroom when the lights were turned off...wonderful!
My only problem? It would be nice if they told you when you checked in to keep a room key...so that you can exit the garage. Our paid bill was delivered under the door, so we left thinking all was good...and had to go back to get a duplicate to get out of the garage. LOL The garage parking is also not included in the cost of the room. :/

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for choosing the SpringHill Suites Bloomington on your recent trip into town! I am so happy that you enjoyed our suites and our breakfast service. I agree- the automatic nightlight is handy when the lights are off! I apologize for any miscommunication regarding the parking garage. If this ever happens again, please feel free to press the call button so the desk can let you out manually! I hope to host you again in Bloomington!

Reviewed July 29, 2014

I didn't remember this hotel when I went to IU, but that was because it is only 4 months old (as of July 2014). It is closer into town & the campus (Kirkwood) than the hotels that are right off the highway, but you are so close to campus and restaurants which is really nice.
When I checked in, the lady at the desk was very nice. She wanted to make sure I was not on a first floor room and let me pick which floor I was going to stay on. She told me a little about the the history (what was there before...a parking lot, etc.).
The room was great...very clean and crisp. I stayed in a studio. The bed was very comfortable and the hotel was very quiet.
The next morning I went to the breakfast. It is a huge room and had a lot to choose from. There were a lot of families, which surprised me because it was so quiet.
They had several people working the front desk so there was no waiting to check out which was appreciative.
The ONLY drawback and I hate to even mention this because compared to other cities, it was nothing, but I don't like paying for parking. Increase the room rate if you want, but in Bloomington, I shouldn't have to pay for parking.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank 2CKGkids

Firstly, you are very correct in that we are new to the Bloomington landscape. I hope your visit back was absolutely spectacular! I'm so glad to read that your stay was quiet, your breakfast was delicious, and your service was personalized. I apologize for any frustrations caused by parking- you are completely correct, though, that hotels have such fees in order to avoid raising room rates. This ensures that guests are not charged for many amenities that they do not utilize. Our nightly charge in our underground secure garage sure does beat the $1.00/hour meters outside however! I hope that you will come back to visit Bloomington and IU again. We would love to host you.

Reviewed July 25, 2014

This hotel was a delightful surprise! It is new this year. We were here for 6 days so got a real feel for how the hotel is run. The rooms are very nicely done with contemporary furnishings. They have a frig, microwave and extra-large desk area and computer chair, plus a sofa. Beds extra comfy with goose down like pillows and comforter. There's a sitting area that makes it easy to divide the room and good to have another space to go to in the room. Excellent lighting. The toiletries are nice (lotion really good & not watery), nice shampoo/conditioner (might suggest other containers only because it is hard to get the fluid out of the containers). Bathrooms also nicely done (FYI-no bathtub in our room). I really appreciate that they had recycling containers in the rooms and hallways. The breakfast is fabulous: Scrambled eggs with spinach & cheese optional, turkey sausage (not the greasy usual fare) or bacon, croissants, English muffins, bagels, bread, oatmeal, cereals, good yogurt choices, multiple fresh fruits (cantaloupe, strawberries, bananas, oranges), good coffee, REAL silverware, nice plates. There is a bar from 5-10pm Tues-Sat. Connie, Olivia and other front desk staff were FANTASTIC...friendly, helpful & professional. Nice, basic gym (weights, treadmills, eliptical). Small pool. The common areas are beautiful. The temperature in these areas is a bit chilly (could save some $ on the air conditioning). The only minor area for improvement: The card didn't always work at the garage and there isn't a sign (or maybe I missed it?) that indicates to push the silver button to reach the front desk staff from the garage entrance/exit. Lots of restaurants within walking distance. Maybe need hotel sign at lower level (sign is hard to see when driving because it is high up on side of building). Overall extremely impressed and would be delighted to return! Highly recommend.

1  Thank FamilyTravel

WOW- thank you so much for your detailed response! I am so glad that you noticed that we provide upgraded amentities across the board. Our toiletries are Paul Mitchell, our coffee is Seattle's Best by Starbucks, and we do indeed have only silverware as opposed to plasticware. We believe it is these details that will drive our success as an upscale hotel in Bloomington! Additionally, thank you so much for your feedback, especially regarding signage. We are constantly striving to improve our hotel as we are still brand new and learning what works best for our guests. I cannot wait to pass your kind words onto Connie and Olivia- I agree- they are excellent! I hope to welcome you back to Bloomington!

Reviewed July 24, 2014

I chose Springhill Suites based on the positive reviews here and I wasn't disappointed. The room was spacious, bed comfortable, and I liked that the sofa was configured with a chaise. It would have been an ideal spot for reading, except there was no lighting in that corner. The bathroom was roomy. But the long narrow layout means the sink is fairly small, making it hard to wash your face without getting water all over the counter or floor. The breakfast had lots of choices and the area was kept very clean and well-stocked. My one quibble was that unless I missed something, the napkins were near the coffee, around the corner from everything else. I'd hoped to use the pool but didn't for two reasons: One, no Jacuzzi - big omission, IMO. Second, as others have noted, it's at ground level right next to the sidewalk and street, and all glass. No swimming in a fishbowl for me! Seriously, they need to give the pool area some privacy, either with shades or by one-way tinting of those windows. But I would definitely stay there again on future trips.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. As this site is 'my baby' I am incredibly happy that it led you to our hotel! I am also thrilled that it was everything you had hoped. As we are a brand new hotel, we are constantly working to improve and I thus welcome ALL of your feedback! I hope to see you back in Bloomington on future trips, and again, thank you for your response!

Reviewed July 24, 2014

Stayed two nights so we could visit IU. Great location - close to many things. Not a bad walk to campus - about 20 minutes. Elevators are slow and somewhat confusing due to use of key card. Very new and contemporary hotel. Room was nice but there is a lot of noise from busy street. One night there was a party going on at a house close to the hotel and since we were facing the street, the music was heard in our room until 2:00 a.m. Free breakfast is great with lots of choices. Staff is very accommodating in all areas. Pool is very small and no hot tub - not a big deal for me, but the kids were disappointed. I would stay there again because the drawbacks are minor ones.

1  Thank Dinkelfish
SHSBloomington, Front Office Manager at SpringHill Suites Bloomington, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2014

Reviewed July 23, 2014

We were in Bloomington to visit Indiana University. We got in late but the staff was very friendly and were happy to check us in with a smile on their face despite the lateness of the hour. Our room was very clean and comfortable, and bigger than we expected. The breakfast was basic but plentiful. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Thank you so much for writing a review on our hotel! I am so happy that our staff was able to assist you late into the night so that you were able to enjoy your stay. I hope that we can welcome you back to Bloomington soon!