“Bloomington's Finest”

Mother Bear's Pizza
Ranked #1 of 344 Restaurants in Bloomington
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Ask anyone in Bloomington where you can get the best pizza and they're sure to say Mother Bear's Pizza. We've become an institution, and many students and locals alike call our restaurant home. Our crust sets us apart, but our toppings are the freshest ingredients anyone can come by. Not in the mood for pizza? We also have crisp salads, hot sub sandwiches, wings, quiche, pasta dinners, such as Chicken Parmesan and Spinach Lasagna. And don't leave without grabbing a brownie for dessert! Better yet, try our Munchie Madness: a 10" one-topping pizza, an order of breadsticks or cheese bread, two homemade brownies, and a 2-liter bottle of Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Sierra Mist, Dr. Pepper, or Mountain Dew, all for $11.95!We also serve beer and wine!We are consistently named the Best Pizza in Bloomington by Indiana Daily Student Poll, and People Magazine named us one of America's Top Nine Pizzarias!We take Campus Access and deliver until 3 a.M. Thursday - Saturday!
Fishers, Indiana
“Bloomington's Finest”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Without a doubt, if you are looking for premium pizza (or sandwiches or wings or a beer or two) after the football game or after dropping the kids off at college, this is the place to visit. In fact, if you are looking for a pizza road trip, this place comes highly recommended.

Mother Bear's Pizza offers a wide variety of menu items in addition to all types of pizza. The chicken wings are among the best that I have ever enjoyed.

The place is often very busy with a wait for a table, but well worth it. The Divine Swine (pizza) is my favorite.

• Visited September 2013

• Korean first
Fishers, Indiana
“Good college pizza”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

This is an institution in Bloomington, and it holds up fairly well. Deep dish version is good, especially the veggie Straits of Gibralter, thought the service is average at best. Will often see parents taking their college kids there. Best to park elsewhere and walk -- it's a college town you should be walking! - since it is had to find a spot.

• Visited August 2013
Mark H, General Manager at Mother Bear's Pizza, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to review us. Considering you enjoy our pizza, I'd like to learn more about why you only rated us 3 stars. We want to do what we can to make sure our customers have a fantastic experience.

Hope to hear back from you soon,
McLean, Virginia
“Good Pizza and Ambiance in Bloomington”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Yes this is college hangout that's a little worn, but the service is good, the ambiance is great, and Pizza is pretty darn good especially if you try some of the more adventurous offerings.

Best is your allowed to write your name on the walls.

The biggest con is parking, as I am not sure how you can park anywhere near Mother Bear's anytime.

• Visited July 2013
Mark H, General Manager at Mother Bear's Pizza, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thanks for recommending us on TripAdvisor. It's nice to know you enjoy our ambiance and appreciate our wide selection of toppings. FYI-parking is available Mon-Fri after 5pm and all day on weekends directly south of the restaurant. You can park in the "At Swain" parking lot during these hours.

All the best,
New Orleans
“not the best pizza I ever had but the selection is second to none”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

almost all locals and families and students. I was sent there by Hampton inn crew. I left my cell on my table and sure enough it was there when I returned. I did see some interesting deep dish pizza. You probably need to go with a group but they will do half pizzas' something I have not seen in years.

• Visited August 2013
Thanks for taking the time to review us. I'm glad to know you enjoyed our pizza and appreciated our selection of varieties and toppings. If you have any suggestions for us to improve, please let us know.

All the best,
Marina, California
“Maybe I'm Missing Something”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I've been here twice. I just do not get this place. I do not understand why they do so well. The food sucks, the service is not good, the atmosphere is awful, there is no outdoor seating, the beer selection sucks, and parking is impossible before 5pm (when you can actually park on the surrounding streets). Why are they so popular?
We've got a number of pizza places in Bloomington. I don't think this is the worst, but it's far from the best, regardless of what kind of pizza you like. The sauce is too sweet, the cheese is a poor quality blend, the toppings are not interesting and are not good, and the crust is flavorless. They do give you choices on sauce and crust, but I've tried a couple of both and the other options are worse than the standard ones. They're also not that cheap. You can get a pizza to fill up two people for about $15. There are daily specials, such as their wing night, but they're cheap about it and, even that wing night has the caveat that you must purchase a drink.
The atmosphere is what really gets me though. I understand the nostalgia factor, and that this looks like a "small town" (Bloomington has almost 100,000 people, guys) college place. But why not throw $500 down and fix your floor? Why not put in an effort to make it not so restrictive, uncomfortable, hot, and loud? Maybe it's the fear of change and that change would take away the nostalgia. But, if you're like me and did not go to IU and have no memories of this place, then you probably will not get it, just like I don't get it.
Even though I really don't like this place, I'm sure I'll be here again, just because I know too many people who do like this place and will want to come here soon. I really have tried to like it, but I don't, and I'm voicing the dissent here. If you really want pizza in Bloomington (overall, it's not very good), there are better options: Butch's, Max's, Macri's, even Upland. There's just no reason to come here.

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank colinaz
Mark H, General Manager at Mother Bear's Pizza, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Hi Colin,

I'm truly sorry to hear you've been disappointed by us, especially considering many of your friends enjoy coming here. Even though we're a neighborhood pizza joint, we put a lot of love into our cooking. If you're not a fan of our pizza, I recommend you try one of our sandwiches or salads the next time you visit. I'll also keep your feedback about our atmosphere in mind, and see if other patrons experience similar issues as you. Please let me know which area of the floor needs attention. We're currently undergoing an expansion so I apologize for the mess.

Best,