“not the best pizza I ever had but the selection is second to none”

Mother Bear's Pizza
Ranked #3 of 361 Restaurants in Bloomington
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: At Mother Bear's, we have established ourselves as an icon of the Bloomington, IN community and welcome many students, alumni, and local residents into our restaurant every day. Customers are welcome and encouraged to bring a Sharpie to your name on our wooden booths. Our unique dining environment also features an eclectic collection of local art. We are best-known for our traditional pan pizza but also offer sesame-seed thin crust and deep-dish options. All three choices are made with our homemade dough! Not in the mood for pizza? We also offer crisp salads, hot sub sandwiches, wings, and pasta dishes. To complete your meal, try one of our warm, homemade brownies. Ordering for carry-out or delivery? Try our most popular deal: the Munchie Madness! A 10” one-topping pizza, an order of breadsticks or cheese bread, two homemade brownies, and a 2-liter bottle of Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Sierra Mist, Dr. Pepper, or Mountain Dew, all for $12.95! We also serve beer and wine with many selections from local breweries. We are consistently named the Best Pizza in Bloomington by Indiana Daily Student Poll, and People Magazine named us one of America’s Top Nine Pizzarias! Whether you're new to Bloomington or just stopping for a visit, please stop by to enjoy what we have to offer!
Reviewed August 4, 2013

almost all locals and families and students. I was sent there by Hampton inn crew. I left my cell on my table and sure enough it was there when I returned. I did see some interesting deep dish pizza. You probably need to go with a group but they will do half pizzas' something I have not seen in years.

Mark H, General Manager at Mother Bear's Pizza, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to review us. I'm glad to know you enjoyed our pizza and appreciated our selection of varieties and toppings. If you have any suggestions for us to improve, please let us know.

All the best,

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I've been here twice. I just do not get this place. I do not understand why they do so well. The food sucks, the service is not good, the atmosphere is awful, there is no outdoor seating, the beer selection sucks, and parking is impossible before 5pm (when you can actually park on the surrounding streets). Why are they so popular?
We've got a number of pizza places in Bloomington. I don't think this is the worst, but it's far from the best, regardless of what kind of pizza you like. The sauce is too sweet, the cheese is a poor quality blend, the toppings are not interesting and are not good, and the crust is flavorless. They do give you choices on sauce and crust, but I've tried a couple of both and the other options are worse than the standard ones. They're also not that cheap. You can get a pizza to fill up two people for about $15. There are daily specials, such as their wing night, but they're cheap about it and, even that wing night has the caveat that you must purchase a drink.
The atmosphere is what really gets me though. I understand the nostalgia factor, and that this looks like a "small town" (Bloomington has almost 100,000 people, guys) college place. But why not throw $500 down and fix your floor? Why not put in an effort to make it not so restrictive, uncomfortable, hot, and loud? Maybe it's the fear of change and that change would take away the nostalgia. But, if you're like me and did not go to IU and have no memories of this place, then you probably will not get it, just like I don't get it.
Even though I really don't like this place, I'm sure I'll be here again, just because I know too many people who do like this place and will want to come here soon. I really have tried to like it, but I don't, and I'm voicing the dissent here. If you really want pizza in Bloomington (overall, it's not very good), there are better options: Butch's, Max's, Macri's, even Upland. There's just no reason to come here.

2  Thank colinaz
Mark H, General Manager at Mother Bear's Pizza, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Hi Colin,

I'm truly sorry to hear you've been disappointed by us, especially considering many of your friends enjoy coming here. Even though we're a neighborhood pizza joint, we put a lot of love into our cooking. If you're not a fan of our pizza, I recommend you try one of our sandwiches or salads the next time you visit. I'll also keep your feedback about our atmosphere in mind, and see if other patrons experience similar issues as you. Please let me know which area of the floor needs attention. We're currently undergoing an expansion so I apologize for the mess.

Best,

Reviewed July 27, 2013

We ordered the cheesy garlic bread and a pepperoni pizza with extra cheese. Both were OUTSTANDING! The food is excellent! The only downside to this experience was it was so noisy we could barely hear each other. It is on a college campus, so it was busy and loud, but a party next to us was so large, they bled into the aisle and almost into our booth. I will go back in the future, but hope to be seated away from large loud parties.

Mark H, General Manager at Mother Bear's Pizza, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for taking the time to review us. I'm happy to hear you thought the cheesy garlic bread and pepperoni pizza were both outstanding. The next time you visit, feel free to ask us to seat you in a more quiet area. Hope to see you back again soon!

Best,

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We were visiting IU for a college visit and were told we should have lunch at Mother Bear's. We enjoyed the casual dining with all kinds of pizza to choose from, including a good selection of crusts. The wooden tables and booths showed their years with lots of allowed graffiti from past customers. If we are ever in the area again, we would eat here again.

It's right across the street from the impressive Music School at IU.

Mark H, General Manager at Mother Bear's Pizza, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Thanks for recommending us on TripAdvisor! I'm glad to know you enjoyed our fun, casual atmosphere. Hope to see you again the next time you're in Bloomington!

All the best,

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Had a deep dish "divine swine" style following my son's baseball game - just the ticket for a late night meal!

Mark H, General Manager at Mother Bear's Pizza, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Thanks Chris! Next time you and your son are craving a Divine Swine, be sure to stop by!

Take care,