“Great Pizza”

Mother Bear's Pizza
Ranked #1 of 345 Restaurants in Bloomington
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: At Mother Bear's, we have established ourselves as an icon of the Bloomington, IN community and welcome many students, alumni, and local residents into our restaurant every day. Customers are welcome and encouraged to bring a Sharpie to your name on our wooden booths. Our unique dining environment also features an eclectic collection of local art. We are best-known for our traditional pan pizza but also offer sesame-seed thin crust and deep-dish options. All three choices are made with our homemade dough! Not in the mood for pizza? We also offer crisp salads, hot sub sandwiches, wings, and pasta dishes. To complete your meal, try one of our warm, homemade brownies. Ordering for carry-out or delivery? Try our most popular deal: the Munchie Madness! A 10” one-topping pizza, an order of breadsticks or cheese bread, two homemade brownies, and a 2-liter bottle of Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Sierra Mist, Dr. Pepper, or Mountain Dew, all for $12.95! We also serve beer and wine with many selections from local breweries. We are consistently named the Best Pizza in Bloomington by Indiana Daily Student Poll, and People Magazine named us one of America’s Top Nine Pizzarias! Whether you're new to Bloomington or just stopping for a visit, please stop by to enjoy what we have to offer!
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Great Pizza”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

Great little pizza place-actually not so little since they recently expanded. -Not super great service but what you would expect from a pizza parlor

• Korean first
Everett, Washington
“I enjoy eating here...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2011

My daughter attends IU and we've stopped here several times to eat over the past few years. I think this is a good solid pizza place (and not a chain) with good variety.

Hockessin, Delaware
“Average quality pizza, ridiculous prices”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2011

Went to pick up a pizza to go. It was late so they weren't busy, so service was fairly quick. I couldn't believe it when my 14 inch deluxe pizza came to $23 and change - yikes! I figured with the great reviews on Tripadvisor, though, it'd be worth it. I found the pizza rather disappointing, however. Very little crust, almost no sauce, and very salty. Toppings were so so. There has got to be better pizza out there - next time I'll be going somewhere else.

• Visited June 2011
Washington, DC
“Delicious Pizza, Fun Atmosphere!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2011

Mother Bear's was a huge part of my undergraduate education at Indiana University - and I still love to return to this establishment when I visit Bloomington.
The pizza is excellent - a lot of different varieties. Try the fried ravioli - so great!
This is an upbeat, fun, and sometimes loud restaurant. It's close to campus, and within walking distance of Kirkwood/downtown area.
If you love pizza, you'll love this place! Make sure to check it out!

• Visited August 2010
nkdewitt
“This is the best pizza in Bloomington.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2011

I've lived in Bloomington for about 9 years, and if/when I ever leave, this is the only restaurant that I will truly miss. Their pizza is the best---I honestly don't understand some of the negative reviews on here. The quality of the ingredients is top-notch--the sauce is zesty and slightly sweet, and the cheese is gooey and warm. Take their recommendations for toppings, and try the Big Cheese and the Treasure of Monte Cristo. I had to FORCE myself to branch out and stop getting the Big Cheese, it's that darn good. There's something special about the crust, too--it's soft on the inside and nice and crispy on the bottom and reheats just like it came out of the oven for the first time. If you are especially hungry, get a salad before your pizza. They serve little Goldfish crackers on top instead of croutons--a fun and tasty alternative. Honestly, the best pizza I've ever had (tied with pizza I had in Italy), and I've had a LOT of pizza in my day. If you can only go to one restaurant in Bloomington, GO HERE!