“Best Sushi in town”
Review of Mikado Japanese Restaurant - CLOSED

Mikado Japanese Restaurant
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Reviewed January 12, 2012

Since I grew up in Japan, I have hesitations when it comes to trying Japanese restaurants in US. While majority of the Japanese restaurants in Bloomington were disappointing, Mikado was the restaurant that was closest to having an authentic Japanese experience.

Although the sushi chefs are Chinese, they make best sushi in town. Ben, the lead chef, knows how to cut and arrange sushi and sashimi on plates, and the presentation is just wonderful. Although his English is not fluent, you should talk with him when you sit at the bar and order sushi directly to him. He is very friendly and will tell you if the sushi you want is fresh or not. He will also take custom orders, as long as it's not outrageous.

Kitchen foods are average and little bit pricey, but their unaju (eel on top of rice) is unbelievably delicious! It's $19 and I know it is expensive, you should definitely try I am certain Mikado sells the best eel in Bloomington!

The restaurant itself is pretty ok'd, you can find some stains on walls and chairs, but it really doesn't matter since the food is awesome. Definitely check this place out if you are visiting Bloomington!

Reviewed November 1, 2011

The sushi was the usual thing one gets, the soups were hugely salty. One of our party had to request a special dish of steamed veggies and rice, but in a mix up in the kitchen it ended up seasoned. The waiter apologized, bought the plain rice alone (I was starving) . They were so short staffed that we never saw him again that evening and after an interminable wait had to flag down another waitress to get our bill. They were very nice and friendly but the food was not all that great and the salt/soy was not used with any artistry. For the MSG-sensitive even the MSG free sauces taste as if a lot of umami is in there, from whatever source.

1  Thank leptopsylla
Reviewed August 4, 2011

I used to love this place before the new management took over. The old manager was more concerned about quality, cleanliness and friendliness of staff. This restaurant has gone downhill since 3 years ago and just keeps getting worse and worse. The service was horrible, with the rude waitress walking off in the middle of our order and then getting it wrong. We had to wait a long time for our food and our check, which was rather overpriced. The sushi rolls were falling apart and didn't taste fresh, and the miso soup tasted almost rancid or something. The place was rather filthy, and looked like it hadn't been cleaned for a long time....I noticed random dark grease stains on the furniture, etc. and there were nasty dust bunnies hanging out on the ceiling near the vents. It just looked very dirty...there was also a bunch of junk piled up in the corner. No customers on a Friday night should have told us something. Even though the availability of sushi is limited in Bloomington, I promise I'll NEVER go back to Mikado. I'd rather buy ready-made sushi from Kroger!!!

Reviewed May 17, 2011

Upon initial inspection Mikado is a charming looking little restaurant, that is until you notice the chairs stained with soy sauce, the grease stains on the ceiling, the clutter poorly concealed behind curtains, and the dirty carpet. The cleanliness of a restaurant does not always mean bad food. The food was obviously cooked by cooks who know their way around a kitchen but I could tell most was pre-packaged box fair(especially the gyoza). The sushi chef (Joey is his name) was being very short and rude with the wait staff and made me uncomfortable. The manager obviously has no idea what he's doing. There are much better Japanese restaurants in town namely Asuka, and Ami. With the other options I couldn't submit anyone to this dingy little strip mall with it's dingy little restaurant

Reviewed February 19, 2009

this place used to get more business when it was the only sushi game in town. now we have at least 3 other places that put mikado to shame. first off, the food is average and the place is in a low budget strip mall. the owner/manager is an arrogant smug kid that has no understanding of service. if you have a problem with your experience at all, he doesnt care. we waited forever for our food with no apology and again, the manager simply does not care