“Solid Food, Good Service”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Bobby's Colorado Steakhouse
Ranked #68 of 344 Restaurants in Bloomington
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Description: Restaurant was closed, but just reopened in 2012 under new ownership.
“Solid Food, Good Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

This is a decent option for a "stick to the ribs" meal. The filet was good, not great, although the potato skins were very good. The salad bar was fine, and the service was quite good: Friendly and attentive. On balance, it was a decent value and a solid meal.

Union City, Ohio
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Steaks and Salad Bar”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

Nice people and very clean. Great food and spirits. Salad bad is awesome and steak was great. Close to UNiversity and State Route 37.

Visited December 2012
Friendswood, Texas
“Nearly great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

I'm in Bloomington for a few days for work and was looking for a nice steak. After lots of searching online, I ended up trying this place out because it was conveniently close to my hotel.

The restaurant has a nice family atmosphere, casual but not too noisy. Most meals seem to come with free use of the salad bar, which was smallish but had a decent (if uninspired) selection of mostly fresh items.

Their online menu didn't include prices, but most entrees were in the $15-$25 range. The price for my 9-oz filet (+1 side) was $35. They have a limited but reasonable wine selection, though it would be nice if more of the wine list items were available by the glass. I'm fairly certain I was the only person in the place drinking wine, though, so perhaps that's why they were pushing bottles.

My food took long enough to come out that I got apologies from at least a couple of people, and it gave me time to watch other entrees come out of the kitchen - large plates with huge piles of food and many deep fried, greasy-looking things. I started to get nervous that I had made the wrong decision and was going to end up with an overdone, heavy, greasy meal.

Fortunately, I was wrong. Despite whatever else I saw leaving the kitchen, the meal I got was delicately seasoned, simple, tasteful, and well thought out.

The filet got was EXCELLENT quality; the meat was tender, gristle-free, nicely cut, delicately seasoned, and ... significantly overcooked. Watching other meals leave the kitchen I was concerned that the seasonal veggies I got as a side would be deep fried, but what I got (about 95% zucchini) were lightly cooked and barely seasoned - delicious treatment for fresh vegetables.

The restaurant is a bit schizophrenic. On the one hand, ingredients were top notch, the food was prepared with a wonderful understatement that let those raw materials shine, the small selection of wines had a surprisingly wide variety, and the service was competent. This hand set the price of the meal, which was (for a 9-oz steak, the included side, and a glass of wine) $45. On the other hand, my steak was overcooked, the non-cheap glass of wine came in what some restaurants might call a water glass, there was no real effort at presentation of the meal, and the salad bar was stocked with the kind of ingredients I would expect at an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet. The ultra-casual atmosphere led to some confusion as people who didn't appear to work at the restaurant asked how my meal was. I didn't try a dessert.

I really wanted this place to be a hidden gem, and it came very close. If my experience had been $20 cheaper, or $20 better, it would easily be 5/5. It seems like they just need to decide - turn the place into a restaurant that matches the prices, or beat the chef over the head with a pan until s/he can price a meal for the casual, local clientele the restaurant seemed to attract.

• Visited November 2012
indiana
“overpriced, overpriced, bad food, overpriced”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

We were from out of town and passed by this place and stopped in for dinner. There were 10 of us. First off, the prices seemed very high ($40 for filet Mignon, $15 for pasta, etc). I ordered the eggplant Parmesan. A few minutes later they came out and said the their eggplants had all gone bad. Hmmm, not a good sign. So I changed my order to an alfredo pasta. The pasta was not good. It taste like something you could get at Fazolli's for about $6, but Bobby's charged $15. They do have an early-bird menu with a few items, one including the same dish I got. Someone in our party ordered that, and it was the exact same portion size as mine, but for $9 instead of $15. The waiter told us the early-bird was much smaller, since I was hungry I ordered the normal portion, not knowing I could've paid less for the same amount. The salad bar is OK. It was probably the only good thing. Several people in our party ordered the 7-ounce sirloin off the early-bird menu, and they all agreed it was dry and tough. We were there at 6pm, and the place was a ghost town. This was their "grand-opening" month, and 3 weeks in, it was still dead. Not a good sign. We will never be returning to this place.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank i j
bloomington
“new”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

the place looks a lot better and has been cleaned up which is good. The food is OK. Extra upcharge for fries as a side? Service was good.

Visited June 2012