“A Great Place to Stay!!”
Review of Suites at 118

and 1 more site!
Suites at 118
Ranked #4 of 9 Bloomington B&B and Inns
Destin, Florida, USA
“A Great Place to Stay!!”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Suites at 118 in February, 2013 when we were in Bloomington for a basketball game. Not only did Mark and Abbey make us feel right at home, but they also helped connect us to some great basketball tickets! Our room was very nicely decorated and comfortable, and my husband was pleased about the big-screen tvs! The bed was extremely comfortable, and the linens and towels were great quality. The kitchen was stocked with sodas, beers, snacks etc that were very reasonably priced. The location was perfect - just a short walk to campus, Kirkwood and Walnut Streets. There were several great restaurants, bars and shops within walking distance. When we make return visits to Bloomington we will most certainly stay at Suites at 118 again! Highly recommended!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SharonV825

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Suites at 118 was a great place to stay. It is conveniently located on the square. Mark and Abbey are extremely welcoming. The suite was amazing. It was very spacious and clean. We would definitely stay at Suites 118 again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank anonymous100408
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We were celebrating my daughter's engagement and thought what better place to celebrate then Bloomington. My daughter met her fiance' in B-town while studying at the university.
We booked the whole floor and everything was just wonderful. Abbey and Mark were so welcoming and accommodating! The suites were warm and inviting. The suites are ideally located downtown close to fantastic restaurants, shops, the university.
We liked the art work so much, we left several bare walls!
Thank you Abbey and Mark! We cannot wait until our next visit!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Swampscott, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed January 15, 2013

If you are lucky enough to secure a rezzie at Suites of 118, you will soon realize that you have received a very special gift! We had the most comfortable sleep, in sheets and bedding that I thought were my own. The contemporary appointed family room, eat-in kitchen, bath and bedroom furnished with the all-important wide-screen HD TVs were immaculate, roomy and give you the feeling of being at home. Fresh towels and well-supplied bath and kitchen. Ideal location with proper security. My experience was so pleasurable that I was sure to contact owners and residents, Abbey and Mark, to book my next stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Karen R
Toledo
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I reserved the Courthouse Suite and the Wylie Suite for the Saturday night following the Ohio State vs. Indiana football game in Bloomington for my brother and our friends (IU alums and Ohio State alums/fans). The Suites at 118 also has a room that Mark told me is more of a normal sized hotel room with one bed. This room also has a party door that connects to the Wylie Suite (they do insulate the party suite door with foam when two different people reserve the Wylie Suite and the other room). I never did see this "hotel room," but if it is like the suites on a hotel room level, I'm sure it is a winner as well. The Suites at 118 has a nice dorm/condo type of feel when you walk up the stairs and down the hallway to the three different rooms.

My friend was hesitant to stay here because of the price for the night ($375) per room, but he went along since he already committed to going to the game. He happened to be the first of our group to arrive at the Suites at 118 as I was fighting the Bloomington game day traffic grocery shopping for our football tailgate. He was able to get the keys to the rooms and immediately sent me a text message informing me how amazing the suites are at this location. He quickly changed his tune for staying at Suites at 118 because of the rooms and the location (across the street from the Monroe County Courthouse, half a block north of Kirkwood & Walnut). Each suite has one bedroom and a living room/kitchen that is one large room. Because of the design of the building, my eyeball test says the Courthouse Suite has a little more room. The Courthouse Suite is also the only unit that has windows.

Regardless of the window situation, Mark has each room decorated with art work that you may purchase and the furniture is nice as well. The furniture is not for sale. Very comfortable rooms.

From a guy's perspective, the living room in each suite has about a 50" HDTV mounted on the wall with HD cable service (VERY nice touch to actually have the HD subscription... often overlooked in the "hotel" world). The Courthouse Suite also had a similar sized television in the bedroom. The living rooms in the Courthouse and Wylie Suites have a fold out sofa bed couch.

The kitchen has everything you need cooking-wise with a scaled down oven, but a full fridge. Mark even stocks the fridge with craft beers (very reasonably priced at $3 considering hotels often charge a fortunate for a bottle/can of beer), sodas and even has a basket in the kitchen with snacks for purchase.

There is no parking on site, but you are walking distance to parking garages in the area. If you stay during the weekend, Bloomington doesn't ticket on the street starting at 5:00 p.m. Friday through I believe 8:00 a.m. Monday (normally a two-hour parking zone during weekday business hours).

I met Mark as he was outside sweeping the sidewalk when I came back later Sunday because Ieft something behind in my room. I had a great conversation with him for about 20 minutes as he wanted to know what he could do to make it a better stay when really, it already was a great stay for all of us.

Mark and his family live on the third floor of the building (the rooms are on the second floor). Good news, if you are in the Courthouse Suite, the third floor bedrooms are in the back of the building so if you happened to get loud with your group, they probably will not hear you on the third floor. Mark says it was designed with that in mind...

Side note: as far as I could tell, there is no elevator. You need to walk up a flight of stairs to reach the second floor where the rooms are located.

While I'm usually loyal to Hilton properties, the Suites at 118 is too nice to pass up in Bloomington - especially if you have a group of people. Beautiful suites, great location and service.

Room Tip: Stay in the Courthouse Suite.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank BuckeyeHoosier
rrandall_47408
Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

There are many great reasons to stay at the Suites at 118. The location is fantastic and makes for an easy walk to and from many of the best restaurants and bars in Bloomington. The decor and overall appearance of the property was great as well. Everything was clean and looked brand new. The free Internet and big screen TVs were great as well although we did not have time to use them much. My wife and I stayed in the Courthouse sweet and it met all the hype. I just wish we had been staying for a whole weekend rather than one night. We would definitely recommend staying here and hope to do so again in the future.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rrandall_47408
Springport, Indiana
Reviewed October 6, 2012

The courthouse suite is the nicest room I have stayed in in the last 17 years in Bloomington. Easy access to Kirkwood and the rest of downtown. Loved the art! Very comfortable. Quiet for sleep. Fabulous!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business