“Great soup and sandwiches”

Underground Cupcakes & Cafe'
Ranked #4 of 13 Dessert in Bloomington
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Soups
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Great soup and sandwiches”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

The blend of the cafe's unique sandwiches and tasty soups have drawn me to be a repeat customer. Although the atmospher of the cafe is extremely plain, the food makes up for it. I wouldn't make this a "date night" destination, but it's great if you are looking for something simple, yet tasteful for dinner.

The cupcakes, although good, are nothing to brag about. They usually have a very large selection of flavors. However I found them to be more frosting than cake. The 3 that I've tried all had frosting in the center, which was way too sweet.

Prices are a bit high, but excellent quality for the price.

• Visited October 2012

Bloomington, Indiana
“Great cupcakes, for a price”
Reviewed March 29, 2012

The cupcakes at Underground Cupcakes are very tasty. They have a generous amount of frosting (my favorite part of cupcakes) and creative flavor combinations. My husband and I enjoyed the 4 flavors we tried. The cupcakes are nicely presented in a box for you to take home. They're not the jumbo cupcakes like you get at Scholar's Inn, but they have so much stuff on them you don't feel like they're too small. It's a cute place.

My only complaint is the price. I bought 4 cupcakes and it came to over $12, which seems steep to me.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank Luv2EatCheese
Spencer, Indiana
“The Cupcakes are Good; the Selection is Great”
Reviewed March 24, 2012

The Underground Cupcake Co. & Café is one of the newest cafes in the Bloomington and Ellettsville area. It is owned and operated by Melissa Emlinger and Marena Reynolds. The knowledgeable and helpful guy at the counter is the stepson of one of the owners. If you are indecisive about what flavor cupcake to choose, he can lead you in the right direction.

The store is located on Highway 46 West in a strip mall behind Arby’s. Occasionally your nose may lead you to it. They offer soups, sandwiches, salads and, oh my, lots and lots of cupcakes in a large variety of flavors. On the day of my visit, I was told they were still tweaking a number of things including recipes.

There were at LEAST ten varieties of cupcakes, even some fancy ones made to look like ruby red pumps. Some included liqueurs; some did not. And I’m told that a new flavor is added daily to the selection. I tried a chocolate orange cupcake that was quite tasty with bits of orange zest. The presentation was outstanding. I got it to go and it was given to me in a clear plastic holder in a clear cellophane bag sealed with a gold sticker. Add to rose to it, and your sweetie will think you are the best!

I had a small sample of the potato soup that I found more like flavored mashed potatoes made with too much milk. Maybe they’ve tweaked that recipe since I was there. And the sandwiches have clever names, although I didn’t have a chance to sample them.

So if you sweet tooth is urging you to seek out new taste delights, check out the cupcakes and possibly a soup or sandwich from the Underground.

• Visited March 2012