and 1 more site!
Indiana Memorial Union Biddle Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Bloomington
“Concenvient”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

The Biddle Hotel at IU is a beautiful building inside and out. Our room was very nice with everything we needed. We had a quick checkin and checkout. Very convenient for our visit to IU. The only update that would be good is a newer tv.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Adonsmith
IMUhotelmgt, General Manager at Indiana Memorial Union Biddle Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Adonsmith,

I’m glad you enjoyed your stay at the Biddle Hotel. Thank you for an excellent review! Please reach out to me so I can check in to the type of TV in your room. We are in the process of changing out some of our older TV’s and just a few left to change. Hopefully on your next visit you’ll see the difference.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Arabic first
Southern Indiana
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We took our son to IU for his student orientation. It was held in the same building. It was nice to be able to drop off our luggage and walk over to our assembly. We were able to change rooms upon arrival as we had a third guest. We had an antique room and it was very pretty. Amenities were great. Shower was very good and the beds were comfortable. Check out was great too as it was not until 1 p.m. That gave us extra time to walk around the student union and do some shopping.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Shannon001
Shannon001,

Thank you for such an outstanding review. I’m glad that you enjoyed our amenities and extended check out time. Bloomington is such a great town, and has endless opportunities for sightseeing, shopping, eating, and relaxing. I hope we have the opportunity to host your stay again soon when you come visit your son!

Regards,
Chicago, IL
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I've stayed here twice in the past three months while visiting my son who is at I.U.
I LOVE THE LOCATION but both times, I have been really disappointed in the facilities.

Yes, it's a lovely, grand hotel and to be in the center of one of the most beautiful college campuses is wonderful ... but it is SORELY in need of updating/renovation.
The two rooms I stayed in during two separate visits were both very rundown. Peeling wallpaper, cracks in the walls, inadequate bathrooms.

One picky thing: The toilet paper roll had not been replaced by cleaning staff. Almost empty when I arrived. See pic.

I'd be a little more forgiving if the room rates were better but they are NO bargain. In my opinion, I think it's time I.U. bit the financial bullet, closed the hotel down for several months over the winter and got this wonderful old lady spiffed up. And oh yea... reminded the cleaning people to check the toilet paper. ;)

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms near the elevators that open onto the main hallway.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Lindasuemac
Hello Lindasuemac,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts of our hotel. I’m glad you enjoy the location of our hotel, convenient to IU, Kirkwood, and the square. However, I apologize that our facilities did not pass your inspection. Our staff prides itself on delivering excellent service and clean comfortable rooms. It looks like we fell short of our goal in this instance. Although some of our rooms are beginning to show their age, it is unacceptable for them to not be spotless and well maintained.

I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you further in regards to your recent stays. I can be contacted at njkern (at) Indiana.edu

I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Alton, Illinois
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We stayed at the Indiana Memorial Union Biddle Hotel in October. The hotel is absolutely beautiful. We chose this hotel because we wanted a different experience than that of the typical brand name hotel. This place is wonderful - so much history surrounding it and so much care taken by staff of the guests. I was impressed from the moment we walked into the lobby. We were greeted as if we were long time clients, the room was great, the beds super comfortable! The food selections were great as this hotel is located in the union with many, many outlets available - including a full service restaurant. We met the general manager Nik Kern who is outstanding and took the time to make sure we were happy. He showed us around and noted places we might like to see while there. The front desk staff cared about our stay and we will be back again! Loved this place!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the rooms with some of the antiques from founders. Wow! Great views of a lovely campu...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Beth M
IMUhotelmgt, General Manager at Indiana Memorial Union Biddle Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. I will be sure to pass along the kind comments to our staff. It is always nice to receive such rewarding praise to reinforce our goal of exceeding our guest’s expectations. I am truly fortunate to have the best staff in Bloomington to ensure our guests are well taken care of. We look forward to hosting your stay again.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stayed at the Biddle Hotel while we were attending an event at the Jacobs School of Music. What a wonderful old building, surrounded by a beautiful campus, close to everything, with free parking. The room was perfect, updated while keeping the charm and character of the original.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
IMUhotelmgt, General Manager at Indiana Memorial Union Biddle Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Hello,

Thank you for your kind works and praise regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I’m pleased you were able to enjoy our historic charm as well as convenient amenities like free parking and excellent location. We can’t wait for you to come back and see us!

Fairfax Station, VA
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I am an alumni from the East Coast who loves Bloomington. The Indiana Memorial Union (IMU) is my favorite place to stay although it could use some updating. I tolerate this because you can't get any closer to the heart of the university than this. You can hear the church bells in the distance and the local train if you listen closely. The floors are pretty quiet and accessible to the main part of the IMU.

If you are a parent visiting a student or a potential candidate for the university, this is a must. The rooms are small with generally a double bed and no side table, floor lamp, chair, desk, tv, frig (some rooms), dated wallpaper and bathroom tiles, and wifi. The hotel is clean and the housekeeping is attentive. Stop by the Tudor room for a full service buffet lunch or dinner. Or you can walk to Walnut Street and or one of the many earby restaurants.

The IMU has had some recent upgrades to the food service for students - Baja Fresh, Burger King, Suishi, Starbucks, sundry shops etc. There is plenty to do in the IMU - bowling, billiards, game rooms and plenty of nooks and crannies to study, read a book or nestle up to a fireplace. The bookstore is generally open so that you can stock up on IU paraphernalia. Free parking is a treat - but remember to take your room key so that they swipe it on the way out.

It's not as busy on the weekends and many of the small shops mentioned above will be closed. It's close to the Hyper to work out, the prestigious Art Museum, Theatre, Lilly Library and decent walking distance to any part of the campus. Take in a free concert at the MAC!

I can't speak for the room service. Stay here if you need to be in a central location. Great place for meetings.

I was fortunate that the hotel offered me a discounted rate when my flights were delayed due to hurricane Sandy. It saved me a lot of time and allowed me to enjoy the campus for a few extra days!

Room Tip: A must for parents and visiting students.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Finiky
Finiky2,

Thank you so much for your review on Trip Advisor, and making us aware of your experience. We agree, you can’t beat our location on the IU campus. I really appreciate your kind comments regarding our cleanliness and attentive staff. I’ll be sure to pass the praise along to them.
We look forward to your next visit with us.

chicago
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Between the friendly staff, comfortable bed, and beautiful gardens and walking paths near the hotel==this is my favorite place to stay in Bloomington. Having two children attend IU, I have stayed at many Bloomington hotels and I always try to get a room at the Union. This trip we took our son and his roommate to the Tutor Room Sunday brunch. They loved all the food and the dessert table was something I enjoyed. I enjoy the location of being so close to campus and the no stress free parking. Hope to visit the Union again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
IMUhotelmgt, General Manager at Indiana Memorial Union Biddle Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Hello,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We can’t wait to have you visit us again! It’s always nice to receive comments of praise for our staff; I will share your review with the team to reinforce our mission of delivering an exception guest experience.

Warm Regards,