“Finally, an upscale Chinese restaurant”
Review of Alchemy - CLOSED

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 28, 2012

A heaven-sent change from the usual all-you-can eat, one-sauce-fits-all so-called Chinese buffets that are so common (in more than one sense), the dining at Alchemy is refined and elegant. Some of the dishes are excellent, and not to be found elsewhere (like the steamed fish), others are done as well as they can be done (the garlic eggplant, the Mo Shu Pork); the vegetables—garlic spinach, the Taiwanese cabbage—are delicately sautéed, and not, as they are elsewhere, overcooked. If you want a place where you enjoy tasting the food, and not merely filling the belly, try Alchemy.

2  Thank so-sojourner

Reviewed May 10, 2012

Alchemy is a fairly new chinese food restaurant downtown Bloomington. It's in a beautiful space with a nice bar. I have been a few times and the food is absolutely delicious. The problem isn't the food, it's the service. They had some problems when they first opened, which were forgivable, but after a few weeks, those issues (mostly slow and unenthusiastic service) should have been ironed out. Unfortunately, the service simply does not match the quality of the food. Each time I have visited, the beautiful bar space has always looked messy with dirty glasses, newspapers, drinks for the staff, etc. cluttering the space. Surely, they realize that customers can still see stuff that's littering behind the bar? I'm hopeful they can work the kinks out with their service issues because this is some of the best Chinese food I have had in YEARS.

Reviewed April 12, 2012

My husband, daughter and I have been here three times in recent months. We love the airy, elegant room, the spare decor, the sense of privacy maintained by table spacing, and above all, the food. The food is fabulous, we have tried a number of dishes and loved them all (except for the bland spring rolls). However, the service is a serious problem--friends report this as well.Our first visit, we had been warned about service as they had recently had their "soft" opening. The food was worth a little wait. Our last visit, however, the restaurant wasn't crowded, yet the kitchen seemed to be in some kind of uproar, our food took an hour, and my dish wasn't what I had ordered when it finally came. Our sweet young waiter from Jersey was clearly overwhelmed. We haven't given up, however!

1  Thank MKPBloomington_IN
Reviewed April 6, 2012

This is a new addition to Bloomington from the folks who own Truffles. The location is one of the nicest in town -- big space just north of the Square, cloth tablecloths, comfortable chairs, swanky decor, spacious seating so you can have a quiet conversation and not feel crowded. My lunch was prompt, hot and good. The reason I didn't give them a rating of Excellent is because I thought the food unhealthy and unbalanced -- too much fried and salty, too few vegetables. My beef dish needed some broccoli or something green! If I were here for dinner I would have had our party order some all-vegetable options to balance out all of the meat, but how am I supposed to accomplish that off the lunch menu? As a result, I probably won't be back (at least not while I'm dieting). But I will say that with some adjustments to the menu, this place deserves to succeed. One additional note: although they advertise as both "chinese" and "asian fusion" they are really just "chinese".

Reviewed April 1, 2012

The food was amazing! I am a vegetarian and the eggplant with garlic was so delicious. Very pleased to see such an extensive vegetarian option with vegan alternatives also. My colleague ordered the seafood delight and was also impressed. The music was interesting, the candles and linens create nice ambiance. Servers could be a litle more professional to maintain the more upscale feel of the restaurant, but perhaps they are in training since the restaurant is so new.