“This review was shorter than normal”

Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #24 of 24 Hotels in Bloomington
Bloomington
“This review was shorter than normal”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

The door from the parking area to the motel was unlocked. Safety/Security issue. Breakfast was below par. Place has seen better days. I don't understand why the review has to be a certain length. That's weird

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 Thank Ralph G
Kenny P, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy the breakfast, we put out what we had available. As for the doors leading into the hotel hallways, that is something that we are working on replacing with keycard entry as soon as we can afford. As stated in previous posts, we have done a lot of renovations to this hotel in the last two years, and we are still working on renovations as the money comes available. We just bought this thirty year old building two years ago, and the previous owners of this hotel severely mistreated it. But I can promise that more renovations, and upgrades for the hotel are coming. When we build the new breakfast area, the breakfast will be a lot more expansive on a daily basis. To everyone else, over the next few years, you will see a lot of major improvements to this building, inside, and out.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Battle Creek, Michigan
Reviewed February 25, 2013

As a men's basketball reporter in East Lansing, I've had the opportunity to stay in many hotels all over the Midwest to cover college hoops and I can safely say the America's Best Value in Bloomington, Indiana is the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. I've never seen such a combination of terrible service, poor conditions and a repulsive atmosphere than at this hotel. The outside of the hotel looks like a prison, which isn't far from how it actually feels. It smells heavily of rotting garbage and curry, which is every bit as appetizing as it sounds. The room was relatively dirty and also smelled pretty bad. And to cap off the stay, the bed was terribly uncomfortable and not fit for a human being to sleep on. The city of Bloomington is lovely but this hotel was atrocious and should be avoided at all costs.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank DillonDavis
Kenny P, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
I’m sorry that you didn’t enjoy your stay. But there are no smells of rotting garbage or curry in the hotel, unless there is a guest cooking with curry. If that was the case when you stayed I’m do apologize. I heard nothing about it from any of the other fifty guests that were on the floor that you were on, nor did I smelly anything in the hallways as I walked through several times a night. In regards to the beds, I find them to be more than adequate for myself who is used to sleeping on a king size pillow top every night; I find that the beds in this hotel are surprisingly comfortable. They are very good quality compared to quite a bit of hotels that I’ve slept in all over this country. All of our rooms are cleaned by housekeeping on a daily basis except for long term guest which get housekeeping over other day. To be blunt, there are always a few people that want to pay as little as they possibly can for a hotel room, but expect five star services, this is a budget motel, but it is kept a lot better than the price of the rooms would dictate. We at Americas Best Value Inn in Bloomington, Indiana believe in charging a fair price, for fairly nice rooms. I’ve been responding to several of these reviews for a long time now, and I find that most reviews are exaggerated. We work hard every day to make sure that this hotel runs smoothly, and that everything is clean and too code. We pass every health inspection we have had, including random inspections. If you don’t believe it, feel free to ask the day shift manager, and he can show you the inspection forms, where we are praised for our food quality, our cleanliness, and our adherence to code. Again, if you are looking for a five star feeling, then you have to pay the five star prices. But if you are looking for a clean room, with friendly service, please come here. You can see from our images online that the hotel doesn’t look like a prison, and the rooms don’t feeling like anything other than a hotel room. Now I’m done trying to justify our hotel, but I feel the need to correct exaggerated, non-truths.

Travelers are raving about these Bloomington hotels

Bangor, Maine, United States
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying this week at America's Best Value Inn in Bloomington. I was a little wary after reading some of the reviews on here, but seeing as Kenny is pretty much the only property manager that responds to the reviews, I figured I would take a chance. Check in was a breeze, Kenny himself was at the front desk and was wonderful to work with, very pleasant, very kind and very courteous (he even called me 'Sir' after I told him he could call me by my first name!) The room was CLEAN, the bed was VERY comfortable and the shower was nice and hot! There was no loud parties as people have stated on here or people being obnoxious, I hardly ran in to anyone while I was out and about in the hallways even though the parking lot was packed. It's a good place to stay at, especially if you compare it to the other independently owned Americas Best Value Inn's up in Indianapolis (I drove by both of them and I was glad that I had the common sense to come down here, since those properties looked extremely sketchy.) There is no on site laundry facility, but, that's not a deal breaker. Everything here was great, the next time I come to Bloomington for an overnight stay, I will definitely be stopping here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Matt D
Thank you very much. We do our best to maintain a pleasant environment. We are actually talking about putting a public laundry for hotel guests in the hotel, but the plans for that are about a year off. Thank you for staying, and we look forward to your next stay.
Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Its my first time come down to bloomington with friends during the break. We had a good time while spending the time with friends and studies. American best value inn is a convenient hotel. It's a nice comfortable place to stay with friends and the condition and service are good and amiable. The price is affordable. Time goes so fast. Can't complain it is true.Hopefully have a chance to stop by again in the future.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Kenny P, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Thank you and we hope that you enjoyed your break while staying with us. We will look forward to your eventual return.
Oklahoma
Reviewed November 11, 2012

My husband and I stay here about 4 or 5 times a year, one to two nights at a time. I am very surprised at the poor reviews that I have read on this site. We have had a nice stay everytime - well except one time on a weekend night, the music coming from the restaurant next door was a little loud. To be expected in a College town. The owners have always bent over backwards to accomodate us on whatever we want. They are friendly and try real hard to please. They have done sooo much remodeling, new carpet, new paint, and this last visit we noticed new and better towels. In some rooms, they have replace the blankets with nicer ones. It is an on going project and we actually enjoy seeing what is new since the last visit. It is a work in progress, and they just keep plugging away at it. It is obvious that they are proud of the work they have done, and should be. I think the carpet is beautiful. We have never seen ANY bugs, and that is a big deal to me as I HATE bugs! Breakfast is nothing fancy, cereal, donuts and/or little coffee cakes, coffee - but that holds us for a while just fine. We just look for a clean, place to sleep and shower without paying a fortune - this place is just fine. We will continue to stay there when we come to Bloomington. Our last visit was in Oct 2012.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your glowing review. We enjoy having you here, and look forward to your next visit. And we are still slowly remodeling some things, right now the project we are working on is the roof over the lobby.
Coopersburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 6, 2012

This is by far the worst Inn I ever stayed. The place is dirty, smells moldy, the rooms are so old,dark and dingy, the furniture is repolsive. There was a piece of metal on the night stands that could literally hurt you in not careful. The room walls are as thin as paper. Managment could not control the vistors who insisted partying into 4am in the morning. And we reluctant to call the authorties when things got out of hand.

I beleive the manager write all the nice reviews or his friends, or his drunk friend...

Good luck, book early and avoid this dump. IU Parent who cares.

Room Tip: book early at another hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Mike B
Kenny P, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
I’m sorry that you didn’t like your stay with us. This place is very clean, yes old, but well kept. There are no safety hazards in any of our rooms. Management, meaning myself, did control the visitors that were creating a disturbance. Upon your call to the front desk, I immediately went to the room you complained about and told them that they needed to keep it down. When I got back to the front desk you told me that they were still making noise, so I called them and told them that if I received one more noise complaint that I would have them removed from the hotel without a refund. At which point there were no more noise complaints from you or any other guest, so that mean that I solved the problem and controlled the situation. You are upset and writing a bad review because you were not given a full 100% refund after staying the full night and not checking out till later in the morning. If you would have come down and asked for a refund at the time of the incident, then you would have received a refund, but you chose to stay the entire night which meant that the problem was resolved. Unfortunately we are not with all the guest that come into our hotel, nor do we have the capability of listening to every room that is occupied during out busy football weekend when we have sever hundred guest in the hotel. We do our best to solve the situation as peacefully as possible. There have been sever times that we have had to call the authorities to resolve a situation, but normally just informing the customer that they will be removed is enough. This is a problem that you see at all hotels when they are packed for a major sporting event, they want to celebrate and I fully understand, but I understand that not everyone in the hotel is there for the sporting event, so I will immediately try to take care of the situation, because all of our guest should have a comfortable stay. As for the positive reviews that are posted, they are not done by me, and I am the one that responds to the reviews, and they are not friends that I have told to write reviews, they are people just like yourself, who are decent people that are polite and civil, and because of that, they don’t write slanderous reviews over petty things. So anyone that else that is reading this, good luck, book early and enjoy your stay with us and our friendly staff.
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Visited last week and came home with a number of bites and a SEVERE rash! After googling the hotel and bed bugs I found out that I am not at all the first person to complain. Some genious from the hotel chain claim that this can't be the case because they wash the sheets and matresses. Unfortunately this is like the only place where bed bugs does NOT settle. To sum up: Don't use this chain and don't believe their promises, explanations, etc.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Janus M
I’m sorry that you got bit by some kind of insect and got a rash, but they weren’t from the hotel. And the genius from the hotel chain (which is me, who isn’t from the chain but the actual manager of the hotel) doesn’t just claim this, but states it as a fact. We don’t just clean the sheets and mattresses, we use a high pressure steamer that reaches over two hundred degree Fahrenheit, and the temperature necessary to kill bed bugs is 110 degrees Fahrenheit. We also steam the carpets, furniture, and wall sockets, where bed bugs can also hide. Now being the fact that I know with a good amount of detail about bed bugs, where they hide and how to eliminate them, do you really think that they came from our hotel. I make sure that these tasks are carried out on a weekly basis, some of the steps, like keeping all the linen clean which also runs through a dryer that dries at over two hundred degrees as well, on a daily basis. And I agree, bed bugs do not JUST settle in the bed, linen, pillows and mattress, but that is one of the primary places to look, which is why that is done on a daily basis, but they can also hide in any fabric furniture, carpets, and in the walls themselves, which is why we hit those all once a week to make sure that the place is kept up to code. Every time someone accuses the hotel of having bed bugs, we also call in experts at Terminex who come in and investigate, where we always end up with a clean bill. Now there is a more likely possibility that those who like to jump to conclusions don’t like to think about, is that maybe you got the bug bites and rash somewhere else, and are just ready to automatically ASSUME (we all know the meaning of this word) that it must be from the hotel. To sum up: Come and stay at our hotel and see for yourself how nice it really is, don’t listen to reviews that you read on line, because most are exaggerations done by angry people who are unhappy with their situation, and are ready to try to hurt someone else’s reputation at the drop of a dime without sufficient evidence to substantiate their claims, where as we do have sufficient evidence to prove that we are correct in our statements. Out of the hundreds of customers we see on a weekly basis, I will see or hear maybe two complaints, and they are usually about noise. The only time I hear about bed bugs being in our hotel, is when I log online.