“Incredible Brunch”

Chapman's Restaurant
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: State Road 446
Transit: The city bus stops within one block of the restaurant.
Description: Chapmans Restaurant and Bar is a new American fine dining restaurant and catering venue. We serve lunch, dinner, and Sunday brunch. We are a from scratch kitchen that works with local farmers to provide fresh and flavorful meals for discerning palettes. We have an extensive and expertly paired wine menu to match our dinner menu. Our banquet hall is the perfect place for parties and presentations of all sorts. Our spacious and immaculately maintained ballroom has hanging chandeliers, tasteful mirror arrangements, and luxurious accouterments to meet the needs and budgets of all parties. We have the most reasonable pricing in town and can scale up to any budget.
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Best Mothers' Day Brunch ever! Incredible variety--all delicious. Also recommend their justifiably famous tomato-gouda soup any time. Do the tasting menu for fun and deliciousness!

Reviewed May 14, 2012

This is a great quiet restaurant. It is also nice for banquets. We had our wedding here a few years ago and it went very smoothly and the food was delicious.

Reviewed May 5, 2012

We enjoy the brunch at Chapman's on our visits to Bloomington. Elegant atmonsphere. Love the tomate soup. Service was very good.

Reviewed April 29, 2012

Great omelet! Made at buffet to perfection. I have eaten at Chapman's before but never had the brunch. My previous visits were great, also. Unlike most restaurants these days, the food and desserts are made from scratch. The reason I know this is because I could tell, but I asked to make sure. That is very important to me, especially because I have been in the food service industry for the last 12 years. Owning my own business makes me a pretty good judge, I would say. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Looking forward to my next visit from Virginia.

1  Thank Barbara560
Reviewed April 8, 2012

After struggling for two days to decide on a place for Easter brunch, we decided we didn't want to drive to Indianapolis, and that we have enough "fine" restaurants in Bloomington to accommodate a nice dinner. After checking all types of menus and reviews, we opted for Chapman's Restaurant because it is supposed to be an upscale restaurant, and they were serving an Easter buffet with ham; just what I wanted.

So we arrive, and bumped into colleagues who were arriving at the same time. I was the first one in the door, followed by our colleagues' family. Without even asking my name (We had a reservation), the girl just whisks us away towards a table. I even said, "You don't need my name?" And she just looked at me and kept walking. So, we get to the room, and another hostess runs towards us and says, "No, this isn't their table." So, we trudge back through the restaurant with her finally asking us our last name as we walk. Then they take us though the restaurant, out the back door, and into the banquet room where they normally have receptions. There were a myriad of odd-shaped tables (round, rectangular, square) put into this room. They seated us at a small, 4-top near the rear of the restaurant. Some of the tables around us were clothed, and some had the raw, unfinished wooden tables showing. The server took our drink order and walked away. And we sat and waited...and waited...and waited... both for our drinks, and to make sure we didn't have to do anything special to order the buffet. She finally returns and tells us she had to "hunt" for the diet drink. Anyway, she tells us to help ourselves to the buffet (which she should have told us before she left the first time). So, we go to the "buffet" (which was really just bowls and platters sitting on top of tables), but CLEARLY, no one was really "managing" the buffet. The salad table was FILTHY. There was food dropped on the cloths between the bowls and stains all over the cloths. Honestly, it was pretty gross. The salad bar was nothing fancy, just some lettuce and a few toppings.

When we got to the "hot" portion of the buffet, it was obvious the food had been sitting. Not only did it NOT look fresh, but the prime rib actually had congealed fat all over it. I was SHOCKED. Big, hard chucks of white fat all over the pan. I told the guy manning the rare prime rib station (you could only get "rare" from his station) that the prime rib on the "hot bar" was cold. He came over and looked at it, and said, "I don't know how hot it is. I don't have a thermometer." I said, "You don't need a thermometer. You can look at the globs congealed fat and tell that this is cold." He seemed confused like he just didn't know what to do. He asked another employee to join him at his station, and I thought he was reporting it, but the two of them stood in that corner and chatted for the remainder of our meal, as did many other servers who were buddied up all over the restaurant since the traffic was dying down (it was just after 3pm, and as I mentioned, they didn't put us in the main restaurant, so our section was pretty dead shortly after we arrived).

After getting back to the table and trying the food, MOST of it was cool, at best. The only thing on my plate that was hot was a baked chicken dish with tomato sauce. The mashed sweet potatoes were promising, but horribly executed. They were lumpy and extremely stringy. Every forkful looked like it had hairs growing out of it, and they were not hot. The green beans were on the limp side. The temp of the ham was cool (unintentionally), but good. It's hard to mess up ham, especially since you can eat it hot or cold. They had these breaded chicken tenders that were less than warm and tasted like they'd been FROZEN!!!!!

My husband told our server again that the food was COLD, and this time she went in the back and we saw someone who looked like he might have been a manager go to the bar and remove a couple of trays. They were quickly replaced with piping hot food trays. But I only saw them do that with the two meats (ham and prime rib). I didn't see them do anything with the sides. The manager never came to us to apologize.

The desserts were mediocre. They had good variety, but nothing that felt like it was worth the $21/pp cost of the buffet. By the time we finished our meal, the room was empty and the servers had stripped all of the tables of their linens and Easter baskets. Servers were sitting in chairs in the lobby chatting idly.

I would NEVER go back here if I could help it. NEVER. The service and food quality was INEXCUSABLE. These people have no pride whatsoever. I would be ASHAMED of taking people's money and putting out the garbage they put out. It was truly SHAMEFUL. I almost never give a place such a low rating, but in this case, they earned it. Two thumbs down!

6  Thank dennisfan