“Tucked away location, interesting fare, ample space”

Sweet Grass Restaurant
Ranked #125 of 349 Restaurants in Bloomington
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The new place for slow food in Bloomington. Gastro Pub. Carolina- Inspired American Cuisine. Fried Green Tomatoes, Shrimp Po' Boy, Real Pimento Cheese, Shrimp and Grit cakes, Brined Roast Pork Loin, Prime Steaks- all made IN-HOUSE - and a fried twinkie for dessert. Open for lunch Tue. thru Fri. and Sun. 11 am to 3pm ---- open for dinner Tue. Thru Sun. 5 pm to 9 pm [till 10 pm Sat and Sun.]
United States
“Tucked away location, interesting fare, ample space”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I've been to Sweetgrass 5 times now, and they are very consistent with food quality! I've been there for private parties (they close the bar area off and keep the party in that area), lunch with friends, or a dinner out. The menu is quite extensive, and as a vegetarian, I always find something that I love, even if it's just a simple salad. The proportions are large, and the value is pretty good for a nice restaurant. The ambiance isn't what some might expect -- it's different -- and if you like different, you just might like Sweetgrass. It's airy, open, a little bit artsy / industrial, but yet at the same time you can hear people at your table speaking, even when the restaurant is crowded -- a huge plus! Their beer selection is excellent -- they aren't afraid to offer microbrews or something for the hophead.

• Visited June 2013

Bloomington, Indiana
“Top flight in it's category”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I like eating in somewhat upscale bistros and this one is the best I've ever had. It's a modern sort of decor without being in-your-face about it. Lots of metal and lights, but in darker colors so that it doesn't jump out at you that it's a cement floor and support column hung with christmas lights with an open kitchen.

What really got me, though, was the food. The two times I've been, I've been impressed, though more the first time than the second. I usually order a southwestern or spicy style burger the first time I go to a place like this (in this case, the Smoke Shack Burger) and I was surprised to find fresh jalapenos! It's not many places that cut their own hot peppers like that. Also the fries have cotija cheese on them. I have never heard of this cheese before but it complemented the house fries quite well.

The service was very fast and friendly. Highly recommended.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Paul C
Bloomington, Indiana
“NEVER a Disappointment - ALWAYS GREAT FOOD!”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I eat at Sweet Grass at least once each month - usually for lunch with friends or with my hubby. Everything is wonderful from the salads to the soups, to the sandwiches, to the fried green tomato appetizer. They have a nice wine selection, good desserts, and genuinely good food. You will not be disappointed!

• Visited May 2013
Fort Wayne, Indiana
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fried Catfish Tacos”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

The fried catfish tacos were fantastic at Sweet Grass! The cheese fries were great too. My sister also enjoyed her potato soup! I wasn't expecting much, but found the food, service, and atmosphere wonderful. I was there in the late afternoon on 4.19.2013. It was not busy and the wait staff was wonderful.

• Visited April 2013
Greenwood, IN
“Not Long for this World”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Went to this restaurant on 3/27/13 with a group of 9. Was told the wait was 15-20 minutes. Bought a bottle of wine and a few drinks for our group; decent value as Wednesdays are 1/2 price bottles. After waiting 40 minutes I inquired as to "when" we might expect to be seated and was told "in about 30 minutes". I pointed to 3 unused tables and suggested putting those tables together to accommodate our group. Duh.... While waiting, we observed food sitting and sitting and sitting on the warming shelf with none of the wait staff seeming the least bit concerned, nor where the cooks concerned about the food sitting there for no less than 15 minutes. When told we would have to wait 30 MORE minutes and seeing the food just SIT there, we opted to leave and take our group else where. The owner or manager had better address these flaws or this restaurant will not be long for this world.

• Visited March 2013