“Delightful and with a highly attentive staff”
Review of Wampler House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bloomington
Wampler House Inn
Ranked #3 of 9 Bloomington B&B and Inns
Chicago
“Delightful and with a highly attentive staff”
Reviewed June 11, 2011

Super breakfast, like brunch...the place was immaculate. In the sticks of area, it is a lovely quiet location for a night or two if one is in Bloomington area.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Maggie_Oakshot

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Rising Sun, Indiana
Reviewed March 14, 2011

From the minute we arrived, the experience was great. Friendly staff, great rooms, and the best food I've had at a bed and breakfast. Anyone interested in staying at bed and breakfast should try this place!!! Easy to get to and well worth the trip!!!

Madison, Indiana
Reviewed March 9, 2011

Even before I arrived I was talking with the owner who was giving me better directions than I already had. She was pleasant and professional at all times while still maintaining a friendly demeanor. Breakfasts were served in two courses. We had as much as we could possibly want each morning. Each evening she laid out cookies, cake, and fresh fruit we could help ourselves to as we wanted. The refrigerator was stocked with bottled water and soft drinks we were allowed to help ourselves to at no extra charge. The entire bed and breakfast was the cleanest I have ever seen anywhere. My room was spacious and very comfortable.

As far as location goes, we were only 4 miles from the convention center. Access into and out of town was easy. There were grocery stores nearby as well as pharmacies and even an Urgent Care facility in case of an emergency.

Every staff member was pleasant, caring, and seemed to love her job. It didn't even seem like they were working. They appeared to be entertaining guests in their own homes. I felt like an invited guest.

There was no part of my stay that I did not enjoy. Even checking out was a pleasure because I was charged less than the advertised rate.

If you want a pleasurable experience while in Bloomington, give this charming bed and breakfast a chance. You will enjoy your stay.

1 Thank sewing-grandma58
Holton, Indiana
Reviewed March 5, 2011

All the people who we have come in contact with have been superb! I can't say enough about the quality of service, friendliness,cleanness, and outstanding food. Overall, the experience was warm, welcoming, and inviting.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 3, 2010

Our stay was wonderful. The staff (especially Diana) does everything possible to make your stay relaxing. The breakfasts were yummy, we enjoyed the snacks and nightly desserts, the rooms are very comfortable. We spent half what the downtown Bloomington B&Bs were charging and didn't find the drive to downtown or the IU campus to be an issue. We plan to return to Wampler House.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed October 26, 2010

We stayed for two nights at the Wampler House when we visited our daughter at Indiana University, and we loved it.
Pros:
* The house is beautiful. My husband said that it looked like every room came out of a magazine layout. It's an interesting mix, because it has an old "feel" but it's clearly a newer building and very up-to-date (in a good way!).
* The rooms are wonderful. We stayed in the Dillman room, but we were able to see most of them, and each one was gorgeous. Usually when we travel it's the opposite, but in this case, the pictures on the website don't do the rooms justice. The furniture is lovely and the bathroom is enormous. We loved our electric fireplace and the huge jacuzzi bath, complete with bath salts. Every detail is exquisite.
* Breakfast is amazing. We were able to have breakfast at exactly the time we wanted, and specific to our dietary restrictions. We had coffee, a selection of juices, sweetbreads, fruit and yogurt, and an egg dish. It was peaceful and delicious!
* Service is great. The innkeeper was the perfect mix of unobtrusive (I've been to B&Bs where the innkeeper would chat our ear off) and solicitous. There were many little touches - like cookies in our room, a stocked snack area, and coffee waiting for me the morning we left. I had said that we had to leave early and couldn't have breakfast, but Diane got up and made coffee for me to go, which was so sweet!
* I loved the location. It is a bit out of the center of town, but not far at all. I have to admit, when we were driving down the road towards it, we were wondering what it would be like when we arrived, as we passed through some not-as-nice areas (nothing scary, just older). Then, the Wampler House appeared, set back from the road, absolutely beautiful, great parking, good signage, lovely landscaping. As soon as we saw it, we thought, "oh, good choice!" It only took ten minutes or so to get back on the IU campus, and it was an easy drive on city streets. We had stayed closer to the highway when we came for orientation and hated it. This was a great location - quiet, easy to find, and yet not too far from anything.
* Price: Many hotels at which we looked ratcheted up their rates for Homecoming Weekend. I understand supply and demand, but in some cases it was ridiculous. I thought that the rates at the Wampler House were very fair, especially when you included breakfast (if we had been able to find as good of a breakfast, which I really doubt).
Cons:
There are really so few cons that I hate to mention any, because they don't detract at all from my experience.
The first thing is that the email confirmation I received seemed very impersonal and not the usual B&B type. I sent another email, which was clearly read, but didn't receive a response (it didn't necessarily need a response). However, I couldn't get a good "feel" for the innkeepers from the emails. When you meet them in person (we only met Diane and one of her helpers) they couldn't be friendlier or sweeter.
It was a bit challenging having stairs between my bedroom and the bathroom (they are in the same room, but the bathroom is up a couple of steps). For most people, this wouldn't be an issue, I'm sure, but I was happy to have a first-floor room because stairs are hard on me and so I found it slightly difficult to have to keep going up and down the steps as I was getting ready in the morning. I should mention, though, that the front porch has a wonderful ramp that made getting in to the Wampler House with our luggage a breeze.
* I would have appreciated extra pillows (I didn't ask for them, so they might be available). Again, this is really minor, but I like to have extra pillows when I sleep.

Overall, our stay was fabulous and I would recommend the Wampler House to friends and family with absolutely no reservations.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Columbus, OH
Reviewed September 17, 2010

My wife and I were visiting family in Bloomington, IN for our nephews high school graduation and needed to find accommodations. I did an internet search for both hotels and B&B's to compare options and discovered the Wampler House B&B. I was pleasantly surprised to find a large number of reviews on this website and all the reviews were rating the property very good to excellent. I found two other B&B's in Bloomington but they were quite a bit more expensive so I chose Whampler House to use as my coparison property with the local hotels. I was surprised by both the high prices of the hotels and the poor reviews that they had received while in contrast Whampler House had rave reviews and actually coat less than the hotels. We called and made reservations with Brittany who was most helpful in answering my questions about the property and about logistics. I was most concerned about our arriving at 11pm. Brittany assured me that Diana the owner would meet us to check us into our room. I new this was somewhat unusal as my wife and I try to frequent B&B's whenever possible and most seem to end check in around 10pm, so I was quite happy with Diana's accommodation of our special need. We found Diana and Greg to be gracious hosts and Wampler House exceeded our every expectation. The house and grounds are impeccably clean and well maintained. The food prepared by Diana is gourmet, healthy, and in ample quantity. The furnishings throughout the house and in our room are both beautiful and comfortable. I paticularly enjoyed the soft instrumental music that was played in all the common rooms and I also enjoyed the cool dry air produced by the central air system. I am a hot weather wimp and the ambient air temperature reached 91 degrees during our stay. There is much more I could say to try and express how satisfied my wife and I were with our stay but really you just need to experience Whampler House and the hospitality of the Robinson's for yourself.

The Enrights, Columbus, OH