“Tasteless food and horrible service”
Review of Casa Brava

Casa Brava
Ranked #133 of 349 Restaurants in Bloomington
Cuisines: Mexican, Spanish
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Tasteless food and horrible service”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Do not go here if you are expecting anything that even slightly resembles Mexican food. They should be ashamed for calling themselves a Mexican restaurant. The manager, Johnny, actually admitted that the food was tasteless, that the salsa was little more than tomato sauce, and that nobody will eat the food w/jalapenos in it. The manager was wiping down tables and greeted me when I walked into the restaurant. He said that he'd seat me in a second, but he left! The waiter finally seated me. The manager didn't care that my meal was bland and inedible. He tried to explain that they wouldn't have customers if they actually added spices to their food. All I know is that they will NEVER have me as a customer again. Horrible food matched w/horrible customer service. Taco Bell has better Mexican food than this place at a 1/3 the cost ... and with nicer folks serving you!

• Visited September 2012

Nashville, Tennessee
“Poor service, needs cleaning!”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I am one reviewer who actually prefers the east side Casa Brava! It is much cleaner and we have always had better service there. The west side is just of dirty for me and, agreeing with other reviewers, they do not care about service. Our recent trip was because my son was in town and he wanted mexican. The east side of town is a mess right now due to so much construction so it is definitely easier to get in and out of the west side of town. My taco shell was completely soaked and gross. The server did get me a whole new plate without hesitation but it took us a full ten minutes to get someone's attention. I just don't care for the typical standard fare there.

Indiana
“Good food, and portions”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I enjoy the food, and it is fairly clean. The waiters could take more pride in what they do.

Visited May 2012
Bloomington, Indiana
“Don't waste your money in this establishment. What a joke.”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I have given the west side location three chances so that I could make a well informed decision about this dump. Every attempt at an enjoyable experience was thwarted from the first moments I stepped in the door. There is an area for a greeter just to your left as you walk in, who presumably would greet you and guide you to a seat. This is not what you will experience. You will awkwardly wait for a server to walk over, after watching several walk past, shooting glances in your direction on occasion, as they leisurely stroll through the front of house.

On the third visit, a greeter was actually behind the counter but she was busy disagreeing with a carry-out customer about their need for rice with an enchilada (rice is an almost free item and is probably thrown out every evening, you'd think they'd happily give it to a man with 5 entrees or more in a carryout order). When the greeter awkwardly exchanged words with a portly fellow named Orlando, a manager and our server, we were guided to a table directly in front of the kitchen doors.

If the house were full to capacity and there were no other seats available, this would be understandable however it was below half full and there were many tables to choose from. I simply carried our menus to an adjacent table and seated myself after the greeter had walked off. Orlando offered us drinks in a timely fashion, fumbled at simple price request on draught beers, and nearly rolled his eyes upon successful transmission of drink order. I am not sure what authority this individual has, but he is useless as a server and manager.

At an empty table, directly in front of ours, Orlando and the greeter went through the two bags of carry-out, going as far as opening the carryout dishes and inspecting them closely- for RICE. What the hell is going on in a place when they can't simply add rice to an order to please the customer and get them out of the store? Instead they rudely take the man's carry out order from him to the rear of the dining room, handle the food in front of customers without washing their hands?

The strange happenings aside, our food was unsatisfactory. Orlando brought us salsa with a whole stewed tomato in it, an impossible mistake to not notice when pouring salsa. It might not be a big deal if the surrounding salsa wasn't thin like water, but it was ultra finely pureed. When I brought this to Orlando's attention, he said "sorry" walked away and began vaccuuming directly in front of our table...in the middle of dinner service? Instead of simply replacing the salsa, another free item, he did something that decided for us that we will not come back. My burrito Casa Brava was so small it wasn't visible under the lettuce and sour cream. It was the smallest burrito i've ever seen outside of a frozen burrito you pay 70 cents for rather than ten dollars. It should be called the "snake in the mound of lettuce" instead of burrito casa brava. What a joke.

• Visited June 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“east side location - terrible”
Reviewed April 3, 2012

We generally avoid the east side location b/c in 5 years, service has always been awful (waiting to be seated while staff walks by, not getting to go orders that are sitting there until you ask for them, waiter never coming back, etc). Food is cheap but you get what you pay for: stale chips, bland salsa, undercooked low quality food. If you must eat here, avoid the beef. Also, menu prices may not be accurate, be careful when you get the bill. Btown has coupons but we've had the restaurant not honor them. Every other mexican place in town would be a better choice.

• Visited April 2012