“Cold food again.”

Bartlett's Gourmet Grill & Tavern
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Description: Same owners as another listed restaurant - Bistro 157 in Valparaiso
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We have been eating here about once a month for the past few years. Up until this year it has been great. Now it seems to be hit or miss. We stopped in last night for dinner. I had a pasta dish and my wife had the duck. The duck was good but the pasta was luke warm. I asked our server if I could have it warmed up and it was returned with the edges hot but the center still luke warm. I assumed they would put it back over a flame but I guess they just tried to nuke it. I would have asked to have it heated again but our server never checked back to see how things were going.

This is the third time I have had to send food back to be heated in recent months. Over the past year we have seen a decline in the quality of the food coming out of the kitchen. It's a shame because we really like this place. We live nearby and the sentiment seems to be the same among our neighbors. Too bad.

2  Thank 5Bills

Reviewed November 2, 2012

I was surprised by the negative reviews. Husband and I loved it here today, our first visit. We both had the lunch specials, a shrimp wrap with sweet potato fries; he had the whitefish special with smashed potatoes and fennel. Both were outstanding, perfectly cooked and seasoned, generous portions. The wines by the glass were great: Savignon Blanc for me and Gewurztraminor (?) for spouse, each $6/glass. Excellent coffee. Tasty wild blueberry cobbler dessert.
We had the works for our late lunch and everything was great, including the service. Love the atmosphere. We look forward to returning. And it's only 20 min from our new home in Laporte! Highly recommend.

1  Thank DRobert831
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Stopped here on our way back home. I had the Wedge Salad and Asian Duck Tacos. Absolutely delicious. My husband tried the Gnocchi with Beef and Carmelized Onion. He loved it (and so did I). we will definitely go back.

1  Thank LTemp56
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I went in for a beer and an appetizer and had a great experience that will make me go back. The bartender was helpful, and let me try a specialty beer on draft before deciding on it. I chose the Fried Mozzerella which was very reasonably priced - they hand bread it and make their own marinara. It was delicious and so much better than what most restaurants get off the truck!!!! I'm looking forward to going back for dinner! (Great patio too.)

1  Thank DebbieAustin
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Possibly the worst food I have eaten in a long time. We had a party of six, and not one of us enjoyed our food. My kids had hamburgers and they were burnt to a crisp - basically hockey pucks. Not a drop of juice in them. My wife's steak was also burnt to a crisp and she had to scrap off the char to even get it to a point where she could eat it. My fish and chips had zero taste. The food is below average while the prices are above average.

The service was slow. They stated they were short-staffed so we tried to be understanding, but not getting poor food and slow service is a frustrating experience.

This is the only real restaurant in town and has to explain how it is so crowded. Sure isn't the food. My first and my last time eating here. My parents have eaten here before and never once were they ever excited about what they have eaten. I think my father may have hit his limit with average to below average food and may no longer be frequenting this place.

Save your money and eat somewhere else.

2  Thank midwestlawyer