“Comfortable Stay”
Review of Schug House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Berne
Schug House Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Berne B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 26, 2013

The Schug House Inn is an older home(s) and a unfolding story told only by those who have the good fortune of staying overnight. About 9 pm, a phone call and John met me at the 'house'. The house or apartment that I stayed in was unique and clean. I was by myself but this overnight stay boasted a large living room with couch, chair, TV and 2 single beds, eat in kitchen, remodeled bath and another bedroom with a king bed. I slept in the comfortable king bed. The kitchen had dishes, coffee maker, etc. The bathroom was a bit small and a complaint of very little room to stash my shaving kit on a shelf. A complimentary breakfast is served in another nearby house (that also has several rooms to rent out). Katie, was a dear and brought all kinds of good things to the table to eat - a fruit dish, pasteries, cereal, coffee. I had a delightful stay and would stay again if in the area.

Room Tip: Nothing to add, it was a delightful stay.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is the second time we've stayed at the Schug House. Oozing with charm, the floors creak as you walk around admiring all the beautiful woodwork. Rooms are comfortable with everything you'd need provided. A nice Amish lady fixes breakfast which is a twist on the normal Continental breakfast - it's not a full breakfast but will get you to lunch. Berne is a quaint little town to explore. Rates are incredible low. It's like staying in your grandparent's (or great-grandparent's) old house.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 9, 2013

John showed tremendous hospitaliy and the variety of the rooms was outstanding! 1st time I experienced a bed and breakfast and I would do it again even without that Great Breakfast. Great job to all involved!!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Louis T
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Shug House was a perfect refuge during a bereavement. We lost a close friend in Indiana and traveled from Bucks County, PA, finding comfort at Shug House. Both the owner, John, and the proprietor, made us feel so welcome. The furnishings were lovely and the breakfast delicious. John shared stories in a typical mid-Western friendly way and the time flew. Would definitely recommend this beautiful oasis in Berne.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lois H
Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

I can't say enough about the friendliness of the owners. They made us feel at home and very comfortable for our first time in a Bed and Breakfast.

Great location close to downtown shops and just a great small town atmosphere. Will definitely return soon.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Runforfunn
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I was very impressed with this B&B, and my expectations were exceeded. It was quiet, exceptionally tidy and very clean. I liked the bed and bedding too.

I agree about the ac being a bit loud but it was hot outside and much needed. Everything else was great. The swing on the porch was nice and I even took a nap there. They are open and accommodating people and the refrigerator is open to use.

If you like small towns this is a great place to go and get some peace and quiet. The Amish farms surrounding this small town are beautiful and what an easy going lifestyle!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lexwacket
Reviewed November 15, 2010

When my husband and I decided to visit his grandparents in Berne, we figured we'd stay in the guest room of their retirement community. However, it was booked, so we had two options of where to stay: Schug House or a hotel. The hotel is newer and was $70+ and Schug House was historic and cost around $45. We thought it would be charming and a great value, and that's what we got!

When I made the reservation, the owner was really friendly and helpful. She even gave us permission to invite the grandparents to breakfast! Without charging us! We didn't know what time of night we'd get in, so she said she'd leave directions on the door. We didn't have to worry about being locked out. We found our room, which was full of antiques. The bed was very comfortable and everything was very clean. Most B&Bs don't have spacious rooms because they are in old homes, and this was no exception. But it was just fine for the two of us. We loved the room. The only thing that we didn't like was the window air conditioning, again a throwback to the historic building. It was a little noisy. But the inn was pretty quiet overall. We didn't hear the neighbors.

The breakfast was really good! I wasn't expecting that much because we were told that it was fruit, cheese and 3 types of baked goods. It was very filling though. We started with a fruit cup. The baked goods were croissants, a breakfast bread (not sure of the kind), and coffee cake. Fresh, warm and delicious. There was OJ, juice and tea. Also, cereal. The cheese was also yummy. I had a lot of it! Ha! They eat family style here, so be ready to mingle with other guests. Breakfast is served until 10, which is nice if you want to sleep in.

Did I mention the great price of this place? I'm still surprised for what we got!!

If you're looking for a charming place with friendly owners & workers and a yummy breakfast, make a reservation! My husband's family said they are going to stay here now whenever they visit because it's not much more than the guest room at the retirement community and has much more charm plus breakfast. We definitely will stay there whenever we come to Berne as well!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
9  Thank rubyiu

Been to Schug House Inn? Share your experiences!