“Basic but comfortable resort”
Review of Aore Island Resort

Aore Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Aore Island
Reviewed August 1, 2008

Aore is a well-run, no-frills resort. The bungalows are simple, clean, and comfortable. The management is responsive and friendly. The included breakfast is nothing special, but the lunch and dinner are very good. The ferry to the mainland does not run frequently but was adequate for our needs. If, like my wife and I, you're in Santo exclusively for the diving and are just looking for a good meal and a comfortable bed at the end of the day, Aore will suit you fine. It is a cut above the other lodging options we saw and we don't hesitate to recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Pac_Diver
There are newer reviews for Aore Island Resort

Reviewed July 28, 2008

I was concerned when I read some of the previous negative reviews about Aore Resort - after I made the booking. I can only say that anyone that didn't enjoy their time on Aore, might as well stay home! This place is fantastic!

We stayed for a week - with our 9 year old son. There was plenty to do and the staff, including the owners - were extremely helpful. The snorkelling in front of the resort is fantastic and so safe for kids. We found our bungalow comfortable and well equipped - the only complaint being the lack of lighting for reading at night.

The food is great - and the staff cooked the Tuna I caught to perfection and served it as sashimi especially for us the following night. The beef is so tender, and again cooked just as ordered. There was a local band playing one night which was great fun.

The reliable ferry makes getting to Santo for diving and other day trips a breeze. I have to add that the diving from Santo is excellent and worth the trip on it's own - I dived with Aquamarine who were helpful and very safety consious.

We would definetly recommend Aore Resort - so much so we're going back next year with friends!! (My husband didn't want me to post this in case we can't get the dates we want!)

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank Familyof3Wellington
Reviewed July 4, 2008

We have recently returned from a week at Santo and like many who have read previous reviews was a little worried as to whether Aore would meet our expectations.

I suppose it all depends what you are looking for or expecting...but we loved it. The bungalows are simple but stylish very spacious and well spread out for privacy. We were metres from the sea with a lovely view. Travelling with kids who are always in and out of the water I loved the fact that there were piles of towels.

The restaurant was fabulous and the staff great - friendly and helpful without getting in your face. Breakfasts were great with fabulous croissants......just a little more variety in fresh fruit would have been great.

Jodi one of the proprieters was very helpful with our tour needs.

If you are a discerning travelling who wants all the bells and whistles this is probably not for you but if you want comfort away from all the tourist crowds of Port Vila I would recommend Aore for a great relaxing spot.

Only down side was the weather - but hey can't blame the locals for that!!!!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank carlandshaz
Reviewed June 29, 2008

I booked the resort in September 2007 as it was close and convenient to diving the Coolidge. I had read previous reviews with concern and had shortened my stay. But when I got there I found the resort fantastic. Yes it is very quiet and it is difficult to have a night out in Santo, so if you are young and into the 'party' scene it may not suit you. However, there is not a huge nightlife in Santo best dining in town is actually at Aore resort itself. If you are wanting a peaceful few days with five star food, relaxing and the odd bit of snorkelling this is the ideal place.

The accomodation was simple (no cable or aircon but this resort is desgined is getting away from all that) but spacious and sparkling clean. Each beachfront cabin has its own deck overlooking the lagoon and it is only a few steps to the water. The cabins all come with a cailing fan, mosquito net, well equipped ensuite bathroom and coffee/tea facilities and a fridge. Electricity is 24hr.

I found the staff and managment very friendly and helpfully booking diving at short notice. The restaurant overlooked the lagoon and the jetty and was a great place to sit and watch people come and go by boat.

But did i mention the food? This was an unexpected highlight of the visit . Living in a big city with excellent restaurants I am used to eating well, but this was the easily the best food I had in my entire trip to Vanuatu including all the best restauants in Port Vila. The locally sourced beef and seafood was incredible. The flavours were inventive and fresh. The wine list was great.

My only regret was I couldn't stay longer. Aore resort has a dedicated group of visitors that keep coming back and I certainly will be joining them.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
4  Thank kellykate
Reviewed June 22, 2008

We too had read the recent reveiws but as we were travelling with our 2 year old daughter and as I would be having relaxing days mostly with her, we needed to make sure that my stay was a wonderful as my husband's...who's only requirement was that it was near the diving! We have both travelled extensively and found the resort to be quite delightful. One has to remember that this is Santo, Vanuatu. It doesn't sell itself as a Marriott and I would never have expected it to be. Our room was quite away from the main entertainment area but was quite roomy. Had everything that we "needed" - bathroom, loads of towels & extra pillows, mozzie nets, mozzie products (fly spray & mozzie coils), tea & coffee, a fridge, and fan. We had a delightful view from our Seaview Balcony and sure, it would have been nice to have a banana lounge to read on, what was there suited us just fine. There was a cute little beach infront of our room with loads of shells, coral & hermit crabs to delight our daughter. The resort is currently doing a soft refirb to some of the rooms but there was never loads of noise, the NiVans are so considerate. The food was quite divine and I LOVED seeing baked beans on toast on the children's menu. The staff are all NiVans who are more than happy to help with any request (including climing up a tree to obtain a coconut for our 2 year old, cutting it's lid off, making the bottom flat and popping in a straw - Thank you Tensley!) but were also always aware of our needs (fixing up the table that we liked, moving the high chair to where it should be, putting out mozzie coils, getting more "lemontybutter", etc). The pool is a bit ordinary but most of the day, it was just the little one & I as the other guests were either diving, relaxing or having great adventures! The Management were very happy to talk to all guests & be apart of our holidays. We also discussed the not so positive reviews with them. I am delighted to finally post our opinions. The gardens are beautiful. The location is beautiful, and we will return... one of these days!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank TracenDavenRose
Reviewed May 19, 2008

Aore Resort, Aore Island ,Santo, Vanuatu
April 2008
A Trip Advisor Member, Queensland, Australia
Some friends and I, have just returned from a recent diving visit to Santo and the Aore Resort. I must say that prior to visiting, that I had researched the location quite extensively and was very pleasantly surprised to find that the Aore Resort was nothing like it had been reported on in the few years proceeding our visit.
Certainly it wasn't a five star Resort, but it was everthing that it had been advertised as and more.

I must say that I have travelled quite frequently and found the owners and their staff to be the most helpful, courteous, gracious and possibly the happiest that I have seen in quite a few years. It was certainly infectious.

Now to give away a great secert. Oh! what a delight we found in the resorts cuisine. The chefs at the resort served up what we can only describe as fantastic delights. As anyone who is a diver will know, when you have finished diving for the day it is normal to have a rather large appetite. The resort chefs really new how to end the day for their guests.

At the end of the day we had a wonderful time which was never quite long enough, and we definitely will return.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank scubaagator
Reviewed January 27, 2008

I really wish I had read the review before booking our stay at Aore. We had spent a wonderful 7 days on Vila with friends, and this was meant to be the romantic part of the holiday with my husband enjoying a dive each morning (which he did, very much) and I enjoying a comfortable and relaxing environment. Mmmm well that was the plan.

We had decided to spend a bit more and booked a deluxe bungalow. What a joke, the owners have no idea of what deluxe is. The room is large but barely comfortable. One pillow per person (as the bungalow can take 4 and we were two we had 2 pillows each) The ceiling fan straddles the dividing wall between the one bedroom and the other room (can’t be called a sitting area as there are no comfortable seats) so is barely any use at all. I had to lie on the floor to get some relief. And I live in a hot climate myself.

The pool is small, old, murky and had exactly 5 beach loungers around it. This was not really a problem as the pool was full of children and not a pleasant space to relax around at all.

But we had booked a seafront bungalow and it’s had a nice view of the sea and main island, however the chairs on the balcony were not comfortable to kick back and read a book. Come on think about your clients comfort a bit and put in comfy loungers, some cushions, a hammock, something, anything………….?

I agree with previous reviewers that the owners do not care. In fact I doubt they bother to read these reviews and if they do, they do not act on them. I spoke to the manager and mentioned that far from being the deluxe bungalow as per our voucher we were in accommodation that I really felt was sub-standard for the price. Her comment was that as from next year 2008 they had changed the name. This did not help us much and they certainly made no effort to compensate us in any way or form. When I commented that I thought the promotional material was very misleading she replied that they TRY and not be TOO misleading. Here is a novel idea; how about not being misleading at all.

The place is a style free zone. Rather then draw inspiration from the wonderful colours of the sea they have “decorated” the rooms in a murky yellow and brown palette. The furniture is extremely basic and there was not a single thoughtful touch. The bathroom is very basic. An indication of the level of care and thought they have shown – there is not a single light fitting in the place. All the lights are plastic bulb –holders and naked bulbs. There is a shop which is dusty, dingy and used as a store room.

The staff were sweet and kind but I think you would have to go a long way in Vanuatu not to find somebody with a ready smile. I must be honest the food was good (not that I ever had breakfast) Dinner better then lunch.

The highlight of our stay on Santo? Had to be horse riding with Megan. A lovely, friendly Kiwi lady she loves showing you her plantation from the back of one of her calm and gentle horses.

My advice – the main reason for visiting Santo remains the diving. You might as well save some money and stay at one of the cheaper lodges, the room cannot be much more basic, the noise cannot be worse (children all over the place at Aore) and what you save you can use on a splurge somewhere more worthwhile in Vanuatu – but definitely go to Vanuatu!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
#3 of 10 in Luganville
Ratua Private Island
Ratua Private Island
#2 of 10 in Luganville

Been to Aore Island Resort? Share your experiences!