“Great Stay, Minor Issues”

Holiday Inn Express Bedford
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Bedford
Newark, Delaware
“Great Stay, Minor Issues”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

This hotel has many positive things - the rooms are very clean, comfortable, and feel spacious. The rooms had nice sized mini fridges, coffee pots and microwaves. The view from our room overlooked the parking lot, but (since we were on the 3rd floor) we could see beyond the parking lot to grassy areas and trees beyond it. The staff was all welcoming, friendly, and helpful. There's an enclosed recreation area - a nice sized pool on one end and table tennis on the other, with seating around the pool and in the middle of the room. This area has huge windows all along the sides, looking out onto lots of green grass and some trees. There is a hot tub but it was taped off when we were here in April of this year and it still isn't fixed in late June. They tried resealing it with no luck. if this is an important feature, speak to this location directly and ask if it's working and will be during your stay. It's a bit of a walk to stores and restaurants but a very quick drive to reach some chain restaurants and stores. Getting to downtown Bedford is a bit more of a drive.
Re: the minor issues, the most important to me was the confusion about the length of my stay. I'd asked for a two night stay but actually was booked for only one night and it was such a busy time, the hotel was booked for the second night by the time I discovered the problem. We were there for family reasons, at a time when we all needed to be together, so this was especially distressing. Normally, my checkout date is gone over when I check in but not this time. We were lucky that someone cancelled at the last minute, but we didn't know that at the time we had to leave for the day and had to vacate the room until it was check in time again. My connection was very bad when I made the reservation, so I can understand how it happened, but still think it's good policy to go over check out date and time at registration and to confirm the check out date when taking the reservation.
The breakfast included some hot selections but the second morning several had run out about midpoint during the breakfast service and weren't replenished during the time I was getting breakfast. The fruit was also very sparse. The first morning everything was available and the hot foods were bacon, sausage, sausage gravy and biscuits, and reconstituted eggs. There was a pancake maker but it wasn't working well when we were there. There is the usual cold breakfast fare, including juices - cold cereals, yogurt, 2% and skim milk (no Vit. D) and packets to make oatmeal. It would have been nice to see something like fresh mixed fruit salad or french toast and real eggs. On a side note, the welcoming chocolate chip cookies ran out really fast, too, and didn't get replenished. At other HI Express locations I've visited they are replenished during normal check-in time.
The door to the pool area wasn't unlocked when pool hours started and I had to request it be opened. When it was unlocked, the doors to the outside weren't unlocked as well, which wasn't a disaster. There's a door close to the one I went out that can be opened with a room key. The patio area is small and wasn't cleaned. it was crowded with chairs that looked like they were taken from the pool area.
Lots of the issues I had made me feel the hotel was having an extra busy time and was short staffed for the situation. It didn't prevent me from enjoying my stay, apart from the stress of having no room for the better part of the day. I'd consider staying here again, if staying in Bedford.

Room Tip: If you want a view of more than the parking lot, get a higher floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank janetlorraine
Belinda P, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bedford, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Thank you so much for your great review! We are so sorry about the problem with your departure date! Hope to see you again in the future! Thanks again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 29, 2014

My friend and I were there for one night but here's what I gathered from my short stay. They do a nice job keeping their rooms clean. We had to sign a "no noise after 9P agreement" which I liked. You walk into the hotel and the smell of clean smacks you in the face and it continues on all the way to your room and INTO your room. They have nice bath and body works soap and shampoo. I certainly loved it. I don't imagine the boys are into the pretty scented toiletries :-) The bed and pillows were so comfortable. Love that you have the choice between firm and soft pillows. Staff was super friendly and helpful. Great breakfast. Nice job, HI. They always do a good job.

The only complaint, and it seems to be too common in most hotels, is not having a fan in the bathroom. It's a new hotel so I was surprised they didn't have them installed.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alma K
Belinda P, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bedford, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Thank you so so much for all of your very kind words! We appreciate our guests so much and aim to please everyone of them! Please come back and see us in the near future.
New Albany, Indiana
Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

First time staying at this hotel. It's just a hop, skip, and a jump from the main drag of Bedford. The check in process was extra smooth with a very happy and friendly desk clerk. She even got me some cookies from the late leftovers that she had just removed from the "Goodie Tray".
The room was great. I had the 2 double beds room. Nice TV, bathroom, and extras with coffee mugs...you don't actually see mugs too often. Overall, I would stay here again and most likely will in the near future.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank jbuzzkirk1969
Belinda P, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bedford, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! We strive to please each and every guest. Please come see us agagin in the future!
Chariton, Iowa
Reviewed April 17, 2014

This hotel was above-and-beyond clean and friendly. The breakfast was well stocked and the servers were wonderful and VERY friendly. The rooms were clean and quiet, it is positioned where you cannot hear highway traffic at all. It is near a nice neighborhood where we enjoyed an evening walk and friendly greetings from residents. The beds were fantastic! We had a king and I wanted to take the bed and pillows home with me!! The ping-pong table was a nice and welcome surprise, what a great idea!
All comments are positive!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Belinda P, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bedford, responded to this review, April 19, 2014
Thank you so much for your great review! We value our guest so much and strive to satisfy every single one! We hope to see you back again soon! Thanks again!
Marion, Indiana
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We were passing through and at the hotel for one night. We are a family of 4. We were very pleased with the hotel and staff! I am a little OCD about cleanliness and our room would have easily passed a white glove test! Our girls love to swim and there is a very nice indoor pool/hot tub area that has an additional large area with tables and chairs and a ping pong table! I am always a little leary of being in a room near the elevator but we never heard a thing! Breakfast was hot and good! The cinnamon rolls were delicious! The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful! We will stay again!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Belinda P, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bedford, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Thank you for recognizing how well our rooms are cleaned! We take great pride in having the cleanest hotel in our community. We are so glad you also enjoyed our pool and atrium area! Our breakfast is always a great way to start your day! I am so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you all again soon!
Florence
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Our kids loved the pool, our room was very clean and the staff went above and beyond our expectations! Every staff member we met was extremely friendly! Very nice breakfast. It was located in a good quiet location. I don't have anything but good things to say. Thank you so much.

• Stayed March 2014
Belinda P, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bedford, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! We always strive to do out best in every way for our customers, we want to be your home away from home! Please come back in the near future and see us! Thank yous so much for your kind remarks!
Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

Housekeeping deserves an A plus. The room was very clean. I clean cabins in Nashville Indiana and consider myself to be pretty picky and I was very comfortable in the room my family and I stayed in. The free breakfast was very good and the area was kept very clean and the food kept fresh. The pool and hot tub were clean and in tip top condition. The entire staff was kind and helpful and we will be back again this summer. It was a perfect little mini vacation for my family and I and at a great price! Close to Spring Mill Park and so many things to do for the kids. It was just nice to get away and Holiday Inn Express made even better.

• Stayed March 2014
Belinda P, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bedford, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
We are so excited to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us! We do have the best housekeepers around, I agree! I will be sure and let them know about your kind words! Thank you again for the great review and kind words! We look forward to seeing you on your next visit!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bedford
Quality Inn & Suites
#4 of 5 in French Lick
Super 8 Bedford
Super 8 Bedford
#3 of 5 in Bedford

Been to Holiday Inn Express Bedford? Share your experiences!