“Mother's Day”

Cuisines: American, Delicatessen, Cafe
Batesville
“Mother's Day”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

We had another great breakfast at the Big Four Café. My husband had his usual, the Windy City scramble, not the Chicago scramble as I have called it. I had the regular French toast this time instead of the stuffed French toast and it was great as always. We have never been disappointed in the food or service. With today being mother's day they were very busy and we really should of called and reserved a table. They made room for us to sit at the bar, it brought back memories of sitting there at the old Big 4 Tavern. They always make you feel welcome and want to make sure you are happy with everything. I even got a flower for mother's day which was a nice surprise and a nice touch. They are only open for breakfast and lunch so it is hard for us to go with our schedules but we are always pleased when we can make it there.

• Visited May 2014
Chris H, Manager at Big Four Cafe, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
The Café was very happy that you choose to dine with us on Mothers Day. We also appreciate that you have taken the time twice to review us. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Batesville, Indiana
“Amazing Quality--Its All Great”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Had to take the time write about how great the food is at the Big Four Cafe. Breakfast or lunch you will not find attention to detail and great cuisine anywhere around! The Goetta is great. The green chile mayo on the BLT....scrumptious.

Keep up the good work!

• Visited April 2014
Chris H, Manager at Big Four Cafe, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Thank you for taking time to write a review. We are happy to see you enjoyed your BLT! Come back again soon.
Batesville
“Awesome Breakfast”
Reviewed March 28, 2014

We love going here for breakfast. My husband loves the Chicago scramble and they have the best French toast with raspberry butter. It is really neat the way it is decorated with things from the old Big Four Tavern. They also have great homemade soups.

Visited February 2014
“Excellent Choice ”
Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

We had an excellent lunch for our business party of three. Two of us had the lunch special. The cod sandwich special was great. My colleague had the turkey sandwich with potato wedges. Service was great. The food tasty and the environment was interesting. I can't wait to get back here for my next meal. HURRY here now.

Chris H, Manager at Big Four Cafe, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
The Café is very happy to hear you enjoyed our lunch specials. Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review. We appreciate it. Come back soon.!
Cincinnati, Ohio
“It's Okay”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

So I have been here a few times and while the food is decent, I would say there are other places I prefer in town.

First off, if you don't know the town, finding this place is almost impossible as it is located in what would seem to be a medical building. At first, I though it was the cafeteria. The Big Four also references a lot of history, like the original doors, but it seems forced. The "doors" may be the original, but if they are to be a focal point, you shouldn't just cut a hole in the drywall and hang them there. They should be somehow worked into the design of the restaurant. Bottom line, it just doesn't seem to be much of a dining space.

As for the food though, I do admit that the menu is a creative one, but it seems a little forced. I left there feeling like the cook over promised, but under delivered. I ordered the french dip sandwich, (which when I think about it, it is something that can be compared in many restaurants.) While the sandwich itself was tasty, think an Italian beef sandwich from Chicago, the bun just wouldn't fit into the cup of sauce. It was a bit frustrating. On another visit, I ordered the fish tacos, which were also good, but the smell was just a bit off putting.

As I said above, this isn't one of my favorites in town (I work in Batesville), but it also isn't somewhere I wouldn't go again, if my friends wanted to.

• Visited January 2014