“It's Okay”

Big Four Cafe
Ranked #3 of 34 Restaurants in Batesville
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen, Cafe
Reviewed March 6, 2014

So I have been here a few times and while the food is decent, I would say there are other places I prefer in town.

First off, if you don't know the town, finding this place is almost impossible as it is located in what would seem to be a medical building. At first, I though it was the cafeteria. The Big Four also references a lot of history, like the original doors, but it seems forced. The "doors" may be the original, but if they are to be a focal point, you shouldn't just cut a hole in the drywall and hang them there. They should be somehow worked into the design of the restaurant. Bottom line, it just doesn't seem to be much of a dining space.

As for the food though, I do admit that the menu is a creative one, but it seems a little forced. I left there feeling like the cook over promised, but under delivered. I ordered the french dip sandwich, (which when I think about it, it is something that can be compared in many restaurants.) While the sandwich itself was tasty, think an Italian beef sandwich from Chicago, the bun just wouldn't fit into the cup of sauce. It was a bit frustrating. On another visit, I ordered the fish tacos, which were also good, but the smell was just a bit off putting.

As I said above, this isn't one of my favorites in town (I work in Batesville), but it also isn't somewhere I wouldn't go again, if my friends wanted to.

3  Thank James R

Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stopped here based on fellow Trip Advisor comments. And we were definitely not disappointed. Despite arriving less than `1/2 hour before they closed, we were treated very well. The waitress was very friendly and efficient. I had the chicken salad and tomato bisque soup and my husband had the lunch bolognese. Both were wonderfully fresh and delicious. Extra stars were given because my husband forgot to tell them to hold the parmesan cheese when he ordered, so when the dish came not as he expected, they immediately made another dish for him. That is perfect service. We will definitely stop here for breakfast or lunch anytime we are in the area!

1  Thank fauljo
Chris H, Manager at Big Four Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2014

The Café was very happy to have you stop in and appreciate the kind review. We look forward to having you stop in again.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We recently enjoyed breakfast at the Big Four Cafe on a Sunday morning. We were ahead of the crowd so we were seated promptly and asked about drinks very quickly. The restaurant was comfortable and the menu had lots of choices. I chose the Eggs Benedict Florentine. When my order arrived it was a thing of beauty. The two eggs were atop 4 toasted wheat english muffins.
They were topped with beautiful red Roma tomato slices and spinach and other greens. I asked for my sauce on the side and that's how it came. I added a cup of fresh fruit and this meal really pleased the eye and the palate. They have recently added a dinner menu also. Whatever you are craving, I am sure that you will find it here. Give them a try.

Chris H, Manager at Big Four Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2014

We are very happy to hear that your order came out perfect. We really appreciate you taking the time to review us. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

This little cafe serves only breakfast and lunch. The food is delicious! Service is fast and friendly and the menu has a ton of variety. I haven't eaten breakfast there, but the lunch sandwiches are huge and delicious. The French Onion Soup is great, too. The only downside is that it is a little noisy - it would be better if some acoustic tiles were installed.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We had breakfast here recently on a Sunday morning. The restaurant was comfortable and the service was quick. We sampled a typical weekend breakfast and it was delicious. Prices were good and a quick look at the lunch menu has me wanting to go back for one of their salads. Give this a try. The menu offers a variety to please many tastes. Read the back of the menu to get some idea of the history of this place.