“We have a potentially new Best of Batesville here”
Review of Casa Mexicana - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Casa Mexicana
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed December 22, 2012

As I have said many times before, Batesville suffers from restaurant selectionitus. You have good American fare in Lil Charlies and fast food. When a new restaurant opens it spreads like wild fire, much like when the news spread about the Federal government did a raid of the other Mexican restaurant. So here we are with a new one for everyone to try out. Before going I had heard it was a little bland, no hum, nothing to really talk about, and several just good comments. My expectations were initially low. The last time we ate in this building it was some odd Mediterranean place that would have received a scathing from me on here if I thought anyone would even consider going there..I did not waste my time.
Ok, so the family went. INITIAL impression: The decor is still in process, we were seated right away. The booth was springy...meaning there were springs jabbing me in the butt. The floor in the first dining room you enter was filthy and wet. We never looked in the rest of the place. The men's room was very close to seated diners. Give them some time to refine their cleaning between guests, and the decor will come with time..no real strikes against them on any of this.
Chips arrived with salsa. Both were very good. Just a little spice in the salsa..
Drinks were ordered, wait staff very friendly and spoke English...unlike some other places you go and wonder if the air between your mouth and their ears translated your order in to something else and when the food arrives you are not sure that what you ordered and what you received is the same thing.
Our drinks arrived..soft drinks for the kids and some large burly fellow from the bar put our beers on the table, said "beer" and turned around and walked away...strange...should keep him behind the bar....strike one.
Our food arrived quickly. It was excellent. A little cold, and no one telling you the plates will take 3 layers of skin off you finger tips if you touch it. I wonder if that is the nature of this kind of food that a hot plate is required for beans, rice and a tortilla wrapped item to keep them hot.. Chicken chimichanga had large chunks of pulled chicken in it. The quality of the ingredients seemed top notch. They brought me some of the house hot sauce...smokey, not really hot, odd flavor, but not bad at all, just different in a good way.
Server checked back the right amount of times.
Family of 4 with two Modelos was $55. Not too bad, I felt that it was worth it and I think we will be back.
To compare to the other Mexican restaurant in town....no comparison. You can see the quality in this food, the other place you are not really sure...not to say it isn't, just you can't really tell. I feel more comfortable here.
This trip was really a 3.5 star visit. I think they have a good thing going. Lets see if they can learn from this and other reviews and improve on the small details that can make a big difference. The men's room for example needs to be moved first before anything else, then floor cleaning protocols, and then get on the rest of the decor.
Go. Enjoy. We look forward to our next visit!

1  Thank JimJ12

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Casa Mexicana is a refreshing new venue in Batesville. Unlike other, or prior, Mexican-themed restaurants in the area, Casa Mexicana achieves high quality food, excellent customer service, and an overall relaxing atmosphere. From the moment one walks in the door, you feel welcomed and valued as a customer. It is clear that the staff have been well trained and are encouraged to provide a high level of customer service, with just the right amount of attention. We've been to Casa Mexicana for both lunch and dinner and have been impressed both visits.

The food is well prepared, delicious, and very nicely presented. From the chips and salsa (both yummy) to appetizers and main courses, we have yet to have a dish we didn't like. Moveover, the menu is broad without being overwhelming and offers something for everyone (even the kids). There are several dessert options; the challenge here is to save room for dessert.

The food is very reasonably priced, especially given its quality. If we had to quibble, it would be that the accoustics are such that the music on our first visit was a bit loud for comfortable conversation, but that had been addressed by our second visit in terms of the volume at which the music was being played.

We highly recommend Casa Mexicana for a gustatory trip south of the border.

1  Thank Indiana2012